Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • What to have my wedding ring made out of?
  • lunge

Following on from the other ring based thread, I am in the process of choosing my wedding ring. All I want is a place silver ish band, no gold, no bling, just plain.

I don’t see any point in spending silly money on a platinum band so am instead looking at stainless steel, Ti or even alu.

Any reason why I shouldn’t go for a less well used metal? Anything I should know?

sockpuppet

mine is palladium; looks and wears very much like platinum, is suitably dense too so nicely weighty, but costs rather less.

the wife’s is platinum, but my oversized sausage fingers meant a platinum one for me would be too $$$.

happy with the result, and it’s somewhat out of the ordinary

uwe-r
    Free Member

Linky

I got mine form the link here. Its a Ti ring and although im not a jewellery person i do quite like it.

The service from this place was top draw, they send you a return envelope and you can keep posting it back til you get the ring/size you want.

lunge

uwe-r, interesting, Tungsten or Ti for under £100. I am liking this a lot.

bullheart
    Free Member

Mine was tungsten carbide – £37.50!

Also fills in as a washer/spacer if needed…

mrflaky
    Free Member

I never really wanted to wear one, but the wife wanted me to so had a good friend of my fathers make me a couple of different ones.

The inner is made of a turned shilling and then has carved ebony bonded to it, really nice different ring and as I don’t wear it whilst riding, working on the bikes etc the fact that its wood isn’t a big issue.

argyle
    Free Member

mine is platinum and white gold

headfirst
    Free Member

My mate got a Ti ring, lost 2 or 3 stone in weight over a few years and now his ring is too big for him. He says it can’t get it re-sized as its too hard!

I’ve got a simple 9ct gold ring, which got cut off in A &E last year and then fixed so as good as new after.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mine is platinum, nice and tough which is good as it gets a hard life getting bashed around when Im working on stuff. Ive had it polished once and it looked nice, but TBH im so used to it being dull and scruffy anyway I prob wont bother again.

nickjb
    Free Member

I shall follow this thread while I go through the same process. There’s a few pointers here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-need-to-choose-a-wedding-ring

billyboulders
    Free Member

Aluminium is too soft for the long term. I’m assuming the other ring thread is the one about the ring I made so I won’t repeat comments re. titanium (“wanna see my ring” is the thread I mean).

Given your specifications I would agree palladium is the way to go. Reasonable price, hard wearing, nice weight and it is classed as a precious metal so will be tested for content and hallmarked by the Assay Office.

chakaping
    Free Member

carbon fibre

wrecker
    Free Member

Tungsten carbide here. Was about £60. I’m not scared to lose it and it does not scratch (well it does…other things!)
    6 months wear and it looks exactly as it did when it came out of the box. Don’t get a black one though, it’s just a finish which comes off.
    I like Ti too, it looks really nice.

uwe-r
    Free Member

If your getting married you will be getting shafted on cost for a whole lot of stuff, my ring was cheep and of all the £s spent getting married was definitely the best value for money. For that I like it even more + I have loads of mates who just got something gold or platinum from the same shop as the brides rings, just plain rings they don’t even like, when I say mine is Ti they think its ace and assume it cost even more (as most blokes no f all about jewellery).

What i’m saying is don’t get put of by the fact you can get a nice looking cheep ring just embrace it, plenty of other stuff where you will be paying top whack!

Rich_s

Boone Rings…

http://www.boonerings.com/carbon-fiber/carbonfiber.htm

Carbon and Ti loveliness. From a guy who used to make chainrings!

globalti
    Free Member

Commission a student at the local jewellery college, but be sure to give a clear explanation of what you want.

billyboulders
    Free Member

I would hope you are going to wear your wedding ring for many, many years. I have worked as a goldsmith all my adult life and a large proportion of the work is alterations on rings because for any of a variety of reasons peoples hands change. Worth bearing in mind I think.

Carbon, Ti, etc. will be either impossible or extremeley difficult to alter.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m in the exact same quandry, and thanks to ideas suggested here Ijust came across this: http://www.titaniumstyle.com/jewelry/5-601.html

Bingo! Black Zirconium for me!

neillys75
    Free Member

Ceramic, link

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d go for Reynolds 853

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mine is titanium. I did have a gold one but lost loads of weight and it kept falling off!

I bought a replacement ti ring and it was only about £30 delivered, brilliant. That was a few years back though., they seem like they’ve gone up in price a bit. Popularity or economics?

From here, I think….

Clunk click every trip

unovolo
    Free Member

Granite!
    Gold and Ti are sol old skool.

stevious

I went for Palladium after a nerdy periodic table revelation when buying my wife’s engagement ring. I didn’t know they did Palladium but asked almost as a joke. I was delighted when it turned out to be cheaper.

Decided to avoid white gold as it’s just Rhodium plated gold, which just doesn’t sit well with me.

Also thought about Titanium, but decided against because it can’t be resized.

I also really like the fact that our rings match.

nbt

You need one like this

nealglover
    Free Member

I had a Ti ring for a while, but it left grey/black marks on white bathroom pottery (not ideal for a bathroom fitter)

So I got rid of it and had a silver one made up instead.

billyboulders
    Free Member

White gold is an alloy containing gold and palladium, there is no fixed “recipe” but the gold content is strictly controlled for hallmarking.

It is true that white gold alloys are routinely rhodium plated as white gold alloys are not as reflective (shiny) when polished as other precious white metals also as the “recipe” is not fixed there can be some variation between the colour of different items. White gold IS NOT “just rhodium plated gold”

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Stop being a tart just get a nice silver ring well under £50, all the dents and marks add to the patina and if it all goes wrong it is easy to cut off. As somebody already said you could commission your own

billyboulders
    Free Member

Or see if your local college does silversmithing evening classes. Seeing as what you want is very simple you could even make your own 🙂

neilc1881
    Free Member

My wife and I had ours by a chap from Cornwall called Justin Duance, palladium inlaid with oak. Worth a look for something more unusual. http://www.justind.co.uk/jewellery/wood-rings

jam-bo

Platinum here. Tried a load on in a jewellers, bought online for about 1/3 of the cost

xiphon
    Free Member

This is my one – sterling silver Tiffany ‘metropolis’

Wally

Platinum – costs nothing compared to a divorce later on 🙂
    I wore an Ag one for size and girth for a few weeks to ensure it did fit 100% then handed it over and got a Pt copy.

igm

Had platinum and lost it. Insurance would have covered it, but my wife bought me a “place-holder” on the day I lost it as I didn’t feel right without a ring on and when it came to it I felt happier with the titanium and silver place-holder than the replacement platinum.

Most people don’t know the difference to look at it.

spooky_b329

Palladium was my choice…it doesn’t need replating like white gold, and it can be resized (I got mine made bigger and then smaller again in the first 6 months)

I had decided on Tungsten but when I went to try them on I found that due to the metal being cheaper, they were all quite bulky and held the adjacent fingers away from my ring finger. Friend at work went for Tungsten and he doesn’t seem to like it for the same reason.

I got a simple design done by an independent (brushed slightly raised centre, with two polished edges) and would suggest that if you end up getting one made, check the profile of the ring. I had been trying on tradition court rings (curved inside and outside) but the one that was made for me was a D profile. Found it quite uncomfortable, the edges felt sharp and I ended up taking it back and getting the inner edges rounded off. Also, a brushed finish shows up scratches more than polished, as a scratch is shiny so shows up more on an un-shiny finish. I like the scratches though, it stays on for biking/car fixing/DIY unless its properly dirty/greasy or playing about near the battery.

dab

I spent a not inconsiderable amount on platinum for my wife
    But I have no appetite for bling Myself

Got a nice titanium / rose gold band
    Simple, industrial and hard wearing
    Its aged a bit and I love it

It’s not the object but what it represents !!

legalalien
    Free Member

I had a tungsten carbide ring for marriage number one. I generally liked the weight of the ring, the ‘mysterious’ colour and the fact that it was uncannily smooth.

On to marriage number two, I now have a palladium ring with a coarse brushed finish. I like it a lot more than the tungsten one, as it was a custom piece rather than off the shelf. Got it from a designer alongside my wife’s ring, which is a bunch of raw diamonds set in palladium. Going with a designer (in this case a guy called Todd Reed) is great, as you can get exactly what you want and it wasn’t as expensive as I thought.

nicko74

Sausages!!

What’s that ring with the gear in it?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I have a platinum ring that belonged to my grandmother so its about 80odd yrs old (apparently she had big fingers!)

Any old family heirlooms floating about ? or get an antique ring

MrSparkle

Rubber or possibly ivory.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘What to have my wedding ring made out of?’ is closed to new replies.