Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • I need to choose a wedding ring….
  • ericemel
    Free Member

I am not a jewelry wearer, but time has come to choose a wedding ring. Really want something a little different than a plain platinum band.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have no idea where to start!

xiphon
    Free Member

My wedding ring is a Tiffany Metropolis ring – chunky, looks rather ‘industrial’ and is sterling silver

willard

Titanium. Lovely colour as it is, but if you polish it up, then let it etch in ammonia, you have the crystal structure come through.

I had one for my first wedding… Only wore it for one day, then put it in a safe place till I got rid of it after the divorce.

druidh
    Free Member

I need to choose a wedding ring….

Or choose not to wear one?

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve got a plain gold band which used to be my Grandfather’s (just needed a chunk cut out). I’d have gone for platinum or titanium if getting one new, but this is a bit more meaningful, and my Mum was delighted that I wear it. Anything in your family which means something to you?

franki
    Free Member

I was set on getting a titanium wedding ring, but I tried a few and some gold ones and much preferred the heavier feel of the gold rings. Felt like you were getting something a bit more substantial for your money, LOL! – more like a wedding ring than a fashion ring.
    Went for a plain white gold court-type band in the end.

oddjob
    Free Member

We went to Mappin and Webb, they had a load of different styles to try and then they make them for you.
    I’d go for gold personally, you can choose white, yellow or rose and you know it won’t look naff in 25 years.

Ben_mw

This is mine. I’m not a jewelry wearer either and this took a lot of getting used to, though I never take it off now. It started out being polished shiny on the third below the groove, and abraded to a dull satin like finish above the groove. This lasted about a week, until too much working on machinery had scratched and scuffed it into it’s present rather battered state. Much prefer it like this. (’tis Platinum by the way).

(Crap phone pic)

spoon
    Free Member

I read that as need to choose a Welding Rig, – think I need more coffee.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat. I loved the idea of Damascus steel, and our local smithy does a neat sideline in wedding rings made from Damascus, when they’re not making enormous steel chickens for the town of Dorking. However, getting a subtle (as opposed to mid-eighties monochrome effect) wasn’t doable, for some reason. In the end I settled on a plain platinum ring to match the soon-to-be Mrs Udder’s. We also used the Platinum Ring Company – they’ve been really very good in terms of customer service (ie, taking returns when we ordered a ring but didn’t like it, sorting out payment when Verified by Visa, that sort of thing). They’re also abiout half the cost of a high street jewellers’. HTH

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wanted silver in colour becasue I hate gold, but I didn’t want the usual platinum/titanium stuff that mens rings usually come in, and I didn’t want an expensive one or I’d fret about losing it.
    What I really wanted was stainless steel, and nice and plain. I looked everywhere in the UK and could only find (at the time) s/steel with silly designs in it, or mized with something else. In the end I found my UK ring size, converted it to USA sizing and ordered one from Salt Lake Silver in Utah for £60 delivered, took about a week or so to arrive. I wish I’d have ordered a spare TBH!

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I wanted something similar, and as an Engineer I new that anything “soft” would scratch and tarnish within weeks, so opted for Tungsten Carbide.

It’s been impossible to scratch and it still looks as polished as the day I bought it.

http://www.uktitaniumjewellery.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12

molgrips
    Free Member

Ti here. Or rather somewhere.. not entirely sure where it is.

Bomproof and cheap and all but most of all – it’s Ti innit. Better. It’s you know.. lively, springy.. comfy and yet stiff.. taut..

dr_death
    Free Member

I got mine from a company called Meister, its platinum with a Ti band…

They also do these:

motivforz
    Free Member

I WANT!

soobalias
    Free Member

I prefer a silver to a yellow colour, Im happier with steel than anything else. mrs-alias was shocked by the price, but its not the price tag its what it means that counts

dr_death
    Free Member

Built in sundial??

(**** me the germans aren’t half clever….)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Built in sundial??

See, that looks utterly gopping to me. A God awful hideous thing.

Nice and plain and simple please! 🙂

ElShalimo

Have you thought about Palladium rings?
    It’s a precious metal very similar to Platinum but is 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Platinum has increased in price about 300% in last 5yrs or so. Whereas Palladium is almost identical in appearance and properties and sensibly priced; i.e. old Platinum prices (in terms of jewellery I’m not a chemist/physicist)
    Look at the periodic table for more inspiration!!

ericemel
    Free Member

Guys, cheers – many great ideas. L

brassneck

Plain Ti here. Looks like the One Ring before it’s lobbed into the fire.

Never worn any jewellery before, so I wanted something very very simple, it nearly matched the mrs’ platinum stuff and best of all it were only £80.

thebunk

Find a friendly local jewellers, tell ’em what you want (or what you don’t want). They should be able to create a wax mould that you can try on first. For mine, I didn’t want anything too blingy or fancy, but I didn’t just want a plain band. I said I liked the outdoors and tactile stuff, like bike bits. Ideally I wanted it to double as a laser or multitool, but I think she stopped listening at that point.

I ended up with a a ring that has loads of rough facets cut into it, like an organic looking fastening nut. I asked them to leave the knife markings rather than smooth it all down. The end result looks like it has been hewn from rock rather than crafted by a jewellers fair hands, and it’s perfect for me (except that it doesn’t have a built in laser).

jonnyseven

Titanium – off the internet at about £35. There’s some nice ones out there.

If its a soft metal like silver or gold you need to remember to take it off everytime you start doing stuff on the bike or round the house as it will score and ruin it. If you take it off and lose it (who would do that) it costs a fortune to replace and your other half will get upset with you for weeks because of the sentimental value of something you exchanged on that special day. It obviously didn’t mean enough to you !! 3 rings the same for £100 will solve that problem and save you a fortune.

Surfr
    Free Member

Tiffany Lucida 4mm platinum. Nicely battered now so not bling at all. Suits mer perfectly. Hate gold.

RichPenny
    Free Member

My father in law made ours, so they were free 🙂 I wanted something that looked worn. It has a load of indents around the edge and two lines cut in with the central bit roughly anodized. I love it, but mainly because he made them for us.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you take it off and lose it (who would do that)

I put more effort into holding onto the wife than the ring 🙂

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I was searching for a Titanium ring a few years back, ended up buying a job lot from the US because at the time the UK prices were quite high for what I wanted.

Anyway the website is http://www.apmbodyjewelry.com/ringti.aspx

I quite like the fact that my ring cost under £5 8)

thebunk

molgrips – Member

I put more effort into holding onto the wife than the ring

Don’t take your wife off then. 😈

Sorry mrsgrips 😳

IGMC…

spooky_b329

I’m also looking for a wedding ring. One of the main criteria for me is I want something that can be cut off if I ever mangle a finger or manage to deglove (shiver) myself. I have a manual job that involves ladders, manholes, winching, ropes etc, so the risk is there if I get into the bad habit of wearing it for work.

So its there anything that is relatively hard wearing that is also cutable?! I think I’m going to go for a matt or brushed finish as I’m not a fan of shiny stuff.

TatWink
    Free Member

Just got married and had the same problem.
    I went for a palladium ring with matt centre and polished edges with a diamond inset.
    Not the mad cost of platinum but with many of the qualities ie looks good and is hard wearing.
    After 5 months its picked up a few scrapes but i reckon a gold ring would be looking worse!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you take it off and lose it (who would do that)

My actual ring means nothing to me. Which is why I have a cheap, tough one. If I lost it, I’d get another.

Only what it symbolises has any meaning! 🙂

spooky_b329

Sorry to drag this up again 🙂

Tried on a few Tungsten Carbide rings but they all seem too chunky, I was told this is as the metal is cheaper than gold so they use more of it? Personally I think its because Tungsten is brittle and can crack if its abused. (Apparently you can remove a Tungsten ring by clamping it a couple of times with mole grips, it cracks and just falls off…which is a good thing in my eyes)

Anyway, most of the rings had a D or squared edged profile that was so deep it kept my fingers splayed apart slightly. So unless anyone does slimmer Tungsten, Palladium is the favourite at the moment.

But I keep hearing conflicting views on whether palladium or white gold is harder. And I’ve also heard white gold is softer but the scratches aren’t as visible as palladium?

Hohum
    Free Member

Even 9ct gold scratches fairly soon.

Just adds to the character of your ring chap.

stevious

I went for a Palladium one because it was the nerdiest choice available (I didn’t know they made Pd rings but was wondering out loud in the jewellers about other metals in the same group as Pt).

rob2
    Free Member

Not to spook you but think long and hard about ti rings as they are very hard to resize as your fingers change size with age plus….

Horror story…..

A chap I work with was taking a raft of the landrover slipped and got his ti wedding ring stuck over a hook

Ripped part of his finger off but worse the ambulance had to cut his finger off as they can’t cut through a ti ring without damaging the finger permanently

I went for platinum and gold after that!

headfirst
    Free Member

Just get a simple 9ct gold ring and be done with it. No-one, including yourself, is going to look at it close up after the wedding day and even then the ladies will be far more interested in your new wife’s ring. Spend your time choosing your honeymoon destination or her wedding day undies instead 😉

DrP

My actual ring means nothing to me. Which is why I have a cheap, tough one. If I lost it, I’d get another.

Only what it symbolises has any meaning!

Pete you weirdo!! I appreciate the meaning of the ring, but surely the ring you wear and K put on your finger bears some sentimental meaning?!

Anyway….
    I’ve got a platinum band (coming up for 4 years now – pretty much the only thing I’ve ever bought that has been an ‘investment’!) and although it’s scratched to buggery, I got it resized recently and the jeweller polished it up too – I honestly thought they had given me a new ring, it was completely restored!
    Back to scratched again now though…

DrP

Inbred456
    Free Member

More useful than a titanium ring, it could just stop your house getting destroyed!

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

I got married 2 weeks ago, and my hubby bought me a titanium engagement ring, as he wanted us to have wedding rings made of the same metal. Also I’m an outdoors kind of girl and he wanted me to wear them both rather than worry about them and leave them at home! He has a chunky 9mm polished titanium ring, where I have a 5mm engagement ring and a 2.5 mm wedding ring, we went to Fraser Hart jewellers where if they don’t have the style you want you can have it made, and it was really quite cheap for our 2 wedding rings, with mine being made to match the guage of my engagement ring.

It’s so light and hardwearing we love them!

clubber
    Free Member

the ambulance had to cut his finger off as they can’t cut through a ti ring without damaging the finger permanently

Untrue as explained by the very people in a recent thread.

Plain ti for me. Spot on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘I need to choose a wedding ring….’ is closed to new replies.