Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What to do with some tough beef!
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Roasted a brisket last night and it has ended up pretty tough (not sure if it’s just the quality of the meat or something we did) any hoo – any ideas what we can do with the rest other than curry it?

Otherwise the dogs may be in luck!

Ta Oracle

mrvear
    Free Member

Brisket needs to be cooked low and slow, was it nice and fatty?

uplink
    Free Member

Pop it in the slow cooker with some veg for half a day

ericemel
    Free Member

Use it as a filling for Steak and Stilton pie – it until tender first.

xcgb
    Free Member

No it wasn’t very fatty, we may have cooked it too hot (180) was nice and pink in the middle though

xcgb
    Free Member

Slow cooker – nice idea!

Use it as a filling for Steak and Stilton pie – it until tender first.

I guess you mean beat it up?

j_me
    Free Member

What mrvear said. You need a “better” cut of beef if you want to roast it and leave it pink. I would go for the slow cook/pot roast method for brisket.

rkk01
    Free Member

Whole, in a slow cooker, covered in beer / red wine, accompanied by garlic, red onions and mushrooms.

cook for 7-8 hours…

globalti
    Free Member

Brisket should be quite fatty and loose in texture and the best way to cook it is to braise it very slowly; a slow cooker or Aga bottom oven is perfect. It should then be cooked all the way through and should just fall apart when you try to cut it.

xcgb
    Free Member

Yeah it was a supermarket “special” oh well live and learn

ericemel
    Free Member

I guess you mean beat it up?

No I meant braise lol – Friday morning brain to finger lag

mrvear
    Free Member

I never said a better cut was needed. Fat is good. I worked as a butcher for 7 years and folk seem to want all their meat as lean as possible then complain it was dry etc. My boss was a proper old timer and would sometimes refuse to remove fat for people. Brisket is a great cut.

Stoner
    Free Member

pot roast brisket or topside slowly. (lid on)

j_me
    Free Member

mrvear…..sorry I was agreeing with the cook it low and slow!
    But you do need a “better” cut if you want to roast it high and leave it pink in the middle. The quotes around the “better” were there because I often don’t agree that the more expensive cuts are better. I only worked as a butcher for 18 months though 😉

xcgb
    Free Member

my missus did say it was odd there wasn’t much fat but i think we just cooked it too quickly as well

funkynick

Brisket is fantastic, and would back everyone up who is saying it needed to have been cooked low and slow… or braised… hmmmm… beef..

Anyway, what you can do with it now is make a very nice cottage pie. Instead of using mince, just whizz up the remaining beef in a food processor and use that.

alfabus
    Free Member

april fool?

xcgb
    Free Member

Funky
    Thats something I hadn’t though of!

donsimon
    Free Member

Chew?

xcgb
    Free Member

april fool?

well technically I was a march fool for cocking up a roast beef but i havent suggested picking any spagetti from a tree now have I !

xcgb
    Free Member

Chew?

well we did that last night!

llama

pot roast

BigJohn

Slice what’s left as thin as bacon and flash fry or stick on the barbie and have as steak sandwiches with fried onions.

When I gave a get-together and decide to do steak sandwiches I always use a cheap cut and everybody thinks I’ve spent a packet because doing it that way brings the best out of it.

Occasionally on a Sunday I get a slow roast joint, or brisket and put it in a pot with carrots, small onions and about an inch of water and do it slowly for 3 to 4 hours. Then I do all the other stuff as normal for a roast beef dinner. You have to juggle the temperatures to get the roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings to go crisp, but it tastes great at a third of the price. No need to cook in wine or anything else. there’s enough flavour doing it in water.

mrvear
    Free Member

Sorry j_me I got the wrong end of the stick

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What to do with some tough beef!’ is closed to new replies.