Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • what to do Stolen Camera spotted on ebay
  • kimbers

was lost or probably stolen from our hospital room while we were in theatre as my son was born

that was 9mths ago, low and behold ive randomly spotted it on ebay teh other day, its definately ours the camera case is unique

hes based just down the road froom us, but wont let me pick it up for cash (i was going to invite a couple of mates to come along too) so i cant get his address

unfortunately we asked if the police had been handed one but never got a crime number or i dont think reported it

i also threw out the box with serial number a few weeks ago !!!
    the shop dont have a record of the serial number so other than the receipt i have no proof its mine

the guy also appears to be selling a lot of unlocked mobile phones

should i just buy it take the hit and leave him some feedback calling him a thief

or should i pursue it with the police and see if i can get them to go round and try and claim it?

cheers

kimbers

Stoner
    Free Member

isnt there any identifying data in the EXIF data of photos? Can that not be compared with existing photos you own?

RealMan
    Free Member

should i just buy it take the hit and leave him some feedback calling him a thief

This, if you really want it back. Unless he’s stupid enough to have left your pictures on there, it’s your word against his.

binners

Choose your weapon sir

meehaja
    Free Member

can’t be that hard to find him. Offer to pay into his account, find out his real name, find him on Facebook, see if its his birthday soon, ask one of his friends for his address as you’d like to send him a “surprise gift”… shoe full of urine in the post, or hand deliver it?

RealMan
    Free Member

Surely he should have a dual crown option too?

wwaswas

Pay extra to have it sent registered post to you – this will give you a return address as that has to be recorded.

Then go and visit with the forks to get the refund.

Of course, he’ll have your address and may have bigger mates than you do in which case you’ll be receiving a return visit…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nah, go big….! Monster T the toerag!

nickjb
    Free Member

Buy it then open a dispute. You’ll either get your money back or a return address.

kimbers

sweet ill do the dispute thing but get it sent to my work address for safety!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How valuable is it ? I guess nickjb has the best answer.

oddjob
    Free Member

you may want to create a new user before doing this, possibly with a friends address many many miles from where you live…

kimbers

well was 250quid new
    its not even the money tbh i just want it back and to have the scrote in some way punished

retro83
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

Buy it then open a dispute. You’ll either get your money back or a return address.

Odds on for PayPal settling in OP’s favour, they always seem to do so regardless of the circumstances.

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Nah, go big….! Monster T the toerag!

I see your monster ts and raise you…

Moto Shivers 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shivers! Oh yes…!

Bomber-ownage arms race!

donsimon
    Free Member

EXIF data should contain the serial number of the camera.

cranberry
    Free Member

Does your camera not record the serial No. in the Exif information of each image that it takes ?

If it does, proving that it is your camera should not be difficult.

( Most good image viewers should have an ability to show Exif info, I use Irfanview – view the image, press “I” and select the button for Exif, the serial no. should be towards the bottom of the list )

thomthumb
    Free Member

pop into the police station and try and have a chat with an officer. they may not be able to help with the camera. but they should at least listen to what you have to say, they can at least keep an eye on the scroat.

toys19
    Free Member

buy it, then start a not as described dispute when it arrives, send back a charity shop/tip camera, paypal refunds. See if he argues the toss after you call him a thief.

richpips
    Free Member

Make sure you change your ebay and paypal addresses to your work one.

kimbers

cheers guys ive found the exif data

ive been advised to file an online report and the cybercrime unit will get his address, in the meantime ill buy it back and get it posted to my work

BigJohn

But he may have bought it last week at a boot sale or a Cash Converters. Just because it used to be yours doesn’t mean it isn’t his.

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t think him not being paid is likely to inconvenience him too much (unless the police take an interest). After all, it’s not like he’s paid for it. Still any revenge taking is worth it.

kimbers

id agree he may not have nicked it but heres his description

Hi and welcome to my listing.

Here i have OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA + 2 GB MEMORY CARD with case in very used condition.

Its been in draw too long and i cant find the charger so just camera with original battery and 2 GB memory card.

Fully working and in good condition

Just like what you see in the photo.

soma_rich
    Free Member

If the card is your original, you should be able to recover any deleted images which may be some of yours…

Junkyard
    Free Member

well he is not likely to say bought last week to sell at a profit on ebay – no charger.
    I am suspicous but that alone cannot lead us to conclude some bomberage is called for

kimbers

well police online report filed cheers for the help

and for future reference heres a good exif viewer tool

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

supertramp
    Free Member

I have done this, spotted stolen gear on ebay, outbid everyone and collected it in person. I got him to put it I a bag (so his prints on it and not mine) and then paid him. I let him know that I knew it was stolen before I left, he seemed upset and looked at the kitchen knife block a few times but thought better of arguing with US! I called the police straight away – bear in mind the property had been reported stolen. This was back in the heavy snow we had early this year – the item is still in the bag, and the police have yet to call me back, they are simply not interested in my amateur sleuthing.

I can’t offer any advice but that is my experience of the same situation!

bland

once you win an item you can request th other partys details, the downside being it will send yours to him at the same time. You could change your details first though?

Bez

But he may have bought it last week at a boot sale or a Cash Converters. Just because it used to be yours doesn’t mean it isn’t his.

Actually, it does. Your example would just mean he wasn’t the one who actually stole it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In fairness, the Met are probbly far too busy dealing with the alleged corruption thingy to deal with a stolen cam. 😀

kimbers

well despite having the serial number and receipt the police arent keen to go round and raid his house

theyve advised me to win it back and assuming the serial number matches they may do something about it

though he suspects the guy will say he bought it at a car boot etc…..

falkirk-mark

Can you not ask him online if it was bought new (i.e how old is it ,was it bought new by you?)

Cougar

well despite having the serial number and receipt the police arent keen to go round and raid his house

A crime has been committed and they’re refusing to investigate? On what grounds exactly?

Can you not ask him online if it was bought new (i.e how old is it ,was it bought new by you?)

I wouldn’t do that until after you’ve got the camera back, in case he smells a rat.

kimbers

the copper said he was very reluctant to go and nab him as hes gone round before usually in the case of bikes and theyve turned out to not be the missing bike

unless i can get the guy to send me the serial number and it matches then they will take action

binners

I really can’t believe, that in this vortex of faffing, anyone is seriously considering any other option than than….

Cougar

I fail to see how other people’s inability to recognise their own goods should impact you. Reluctant or no, they should still be investigating.

Nontheless, you could perhaps try telling the ‘alleged’ that there’s a chance it could be a rare collector’s item and valuable, but you’d need the s/n to check whether it’s a first edition or not. Or something.

antigee

Or something

like you’ve checked and some sequences of serial numbers are known to be unreliable – it’ll cost you a tenner to check but you need serial number – saying will cost will put off “the seller” offering to do for you

Cougar

I still think that standing in the cop shop with your “that’s just not good enough” hat on is your best course of action, mind.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘what to do Stolen Camera spotted on ebay’ is closed to new replies.