The latest set of rules set up by Cameron re the spouse visa are horrid. Blair's were OK, reasonable considering there are too many people in the country, but not bad. The worst of the new ones are-
- You MUST earn £18500 at least. They justify this saying "other countries have a financial requirement", but there is almost no country where it is more than 10k. This doesn't matter because you aren't allowed benefits anyway.
- You have NO human rights on this issue.
- Having a child does not have any bearing on the financial requirement. There is a case where a Japanese lady is pregnant and will have to leave her husband and child 4 months after it is born because they do not meet the financial requirement.
- You must reapply for a spouse visa every 2.5 years until citizenship is obtained (the time for citizenship has gone up too). If I lost my job in the next 2.5 years, that'd be it. No mitigating circumstances, not enough money, get out the country.
- Only your spouse may sponsor you now. Not their parents, anyone who will pay for you. So even though you could find someone to guarantee your finances you cannot stay if your partner and yourself don't earn enough.
The latest ones even had the solicitor we saw amazed at how vicious they are. Them toffs really hate foreign people. I know immigration has to go down, but there are going to be a lot of families ripped apart by this who would never have claimed a penny from the state.