Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What stem length.
  • grim168
    Free Member

Finally got out on my new crush over the last couple of weeks. Its a 19". Seat height is fine but it feels a bit cramped lengthwise. I put my lay back thomson post on off another bike. But I'm 6' 2" and was told when I was measured up for my tourer that I've a long body. I want to swap the stem for a thomson so it matches the seatpost and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on working out the length. Does a small increase make a big difference ? Obviously I don't want to buy the wrong size by mistake

Cheers, Graham

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Does a small increase make a big difference ?

IMHO, yes… Shorter means a lot "twitchier"

As for working out length, I was always told ( on a road bike) if you straddle the frame, and with yer hands on the bars, you shouldn't be able to see the front hub when looking straight down..*

*this may be complete boll0cks, but it works for me..

jonb
    Free Member

Try and find a cheap stem from somewhere? Mate, wiggle, crc, ebay, classifieds?

Failing that a decent LBS may be able to help of they could fit a range for you and see how they feel.

Personally on a mtb the stem doesn't make a massive difference. On a road bike it's critical as you need to be aero and are much more static.

brant
    Free Member

*this may be complete boll0cks, but it works for me..

that is complete bollocks, yes.

UK-FLATLANDER

I believe in general a long stem gives stable but slower steering, shorter makes for quicker steering. It also has a significant effect on how much force is exerted on the front tyre – as it alters your centre of gravity on the bike. Most of the current mags seem to prefer short stems.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I think it depends what kind of riding you do too. My Giant Trance X5 came with a 100mm stem. This is good for climbing as it helps keep the front end planted but has the draw back of making the steering less snappy on descents and harder to lift the front end over obstacles etc. So now I have an 80mm stem which I think is a good compromise. I'm also 6'2" and I moved the saddle back so that I wasn't cramping the cockpit. I would think about the kind of riding I want to do but make comfort my top priority.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What stem length.’ is closed to new replies.