Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What spd clip in style pedals for new user
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

So I have always used flat pedals on MTB bikes for the last 20 year. I now have no MTB and just a disc braked CX bike that gets used for touring, off roading and road commutes etc. I have used some old toe clips/straps for the last few month. I’m wanting some clip in pedals though that will be easy to get in and out off. Seen as I ride through woods and a lot of riding on moors etc, I need easy pedals to get in and out of. Not specific road pedals. Especially never having used any SPD style pedals before, ease of use is most important. So Is Shimano the way to go or maybe some other system

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like shimano; cheap and simple/ others find they don’t have enough float and this can cause knee problems.

my personal experience is that the shoe is of more importance in the ease of clipping in and out. i like more race style shoes; they just seem to work better.

specialized comp shoes and shimano 520/540 pedals is a pretty good place to start.

theflatboy
    Free Member

just get some shimano M520s. set them as loose as they go then head to the nearest park/grassy area and practise practise practise. you’ll probably fall over clipped in at least once, but you’ll soon get used to it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tooslow
    Free Member

There are some new M520s in the classifieds…

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

M424’s are cheaper and they work just fine.

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheaper than this: M520 at SJS?

Will-M

Get some Time ATAC Aliums – much better in the british mud and they have more float so it’s kind on your knees.

madoldlad
    Free Member

Got to go with thomthumb on this one comp shoes and 520s are a great combination

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What spd clip in style pedals for new user’ is closed to new replies.