Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What socks are warmest when wet?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Even with overshoes on I end up with soggy feet on wet rides (which is ok in the summer, but with winter on the way I want to keep my feet as warm as possible), so I was wandering what socks will be warmest when wet? I’ve tried sealskins, but they ended up filling with water and don’t wash very well. I’ve got rubbish skin and find wool really itchy (even merino and other expensive stuff), so if wool is the answer are there any thin man made socks that would make a good liner? Thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

woolie boolies

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Warmest when wet? Neoprene.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Those waterproof socks at Aldi since Thursday?

Nearly picked up a pair, but I’ve got two pairs of ~2008 Sealskins that as far as I know, still do the job.

peteimpreza

Junkyard has it nailed .

End of thread .

maccruiskeen

Reed chill cheaters over football socks. Then no need for overshoes

bruneep

knee length sealskins, not the most flattering look but who gives a chuff!

ton

knee length sealskins with some thin merino underneath. dry and warm.

or some neoprene diving socks from decathlon. proper in the warm bath warm, but wet too. end up with crinkly toes

jonba
    Free Member

neoprene for me if I know I’ll get wet. Nookie Ti specifically as they are easy to get on and not that thick.

If it is just a bit damp and not that cold I find neoprene very sweaty so some basic thick wool socks.

Keeping your ankles and lower leg warm will help. Some decent windproof tights or I can see the knee length socks working as well.

Spud

I find Rapha’s winter socks to be better than Woolie Boolies.

iffoverload
    Free Member

plastic bags

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I like merino, maybe you could try a synthetic liner sock inside some merino.

legend
    Free Member

Point 6 – nice merino-synthetic mix

mandog

Just ordered myself Rapha merino socks and pants

dannyh
    Free Member

As a diehard miser, I can heartily recommend the Aldi Dickies workwear thermal socks. Of anything I’ve tried they are the warmest when soaked through and you don’t have to be careful when washing them (easy to shrink merino in my clumsy experience). I just stock up on three pairs every year or so.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Rub tallow on your feet before putting socks on, if you cant get hold of any decent refined tallow sheep lard will do.

senorj

Woolie boolie here too.
    When it’s cold , combined with a thin lambs wool sock =toasty toes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What socks are warmest when wet?’ is closed to new replies.