Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What size Solaris – help!
  • oxym0r0n

I have already emailed Cy today, but I’m getting impatient as I have been saving up and just sold my 26″ FS frame & forks…

Interested to see what others went for.
    I’m 6′, current HT is a Voodoo Wanga 19″ – 23.5 ETT + 90mm stem. which feels about right…

So, do I go medium or large? Already budgeted for a shorter stem but worried the medium will be too short???

Oh and if anyone in the SW area has one they would be happy for me to sling my leg over that would be great 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

I’d say large. I’m 6ft 1 and that’s what Paul at Cotic recommended, will let you know after Saturday when I demo one 😀

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 11 and 1/2″
    Cy told me to get a medium
    But I like short bikes
    HTH

oxym0r0n

😯
    Where are you going for a demo sambob?

fathomer

I’m 5′ 11 & 1/2″ as well and I ride a medium Soul comfortably as reccomend by Paul. I’d wait and see what they say, they seem to get it right.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

189cm and on large here with 70mm stem and inline post.

2POC

Medium. I’ve got a medium soul with a 70mm stem and am just under 6 ft.

mboy
    Free Member

Based on your current bike and how it fits, I’d say go for the Large with a shorter (70-75mm) stem. The Solaris is designed to be a slightly longer fit than a conventional 26″ wheeled bike.

oxym0r0n

Okay so I just measured myself properly ~ 182cm/5’11+a bit (I always thought I was 6′ but maybe I have shrunk 😕 )

Still seems about 50/50 from what people are saying

I have a medium demo booked for next weekend – maybe I should be patient until then 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m pretty much exactly the same height as you oxy and I’m on a medium.

I run a 65mm stem and it’s fine for me. I wouldn’t dream of going large myself. And if I did I’d be running a 50mm stem at the longest! The medium is 10mm longer than the equivalent soul.

Personally I find the medium Solaris a slightly better fit than a medium soul/soda.

pete68
    Free Member

Again, almost exact same height and have a medium. Got a 410 seatpost and 90mm stem and I’m loving riding it. So much so that the Tallboys gathering dust!

ahwiles
    Free Member

large, and a nice dinky stem.

if you decide on a medium, get a soul.

chiefgrooveguru

FWIW I’m exactly 5’10.5″ and riding a medium Soul with a 50mm stem.

sambob
    Free Member

Cotic HQ for their demo day, shown here. Riding a Rocket too 😀

Frankers
    Free Member

6′ here and large Soul with 90mm stem so I’m gonna order a large Solaris

mboy
    Free Member

I’ll change my mind then… Sub 6ft, but only just, get a medium but with an 80-90mm stem.

Chiefgrooveguru, is that comfortable for all day riding? I’m the same height, I’d be running a 90mm stem myself. Had a Small BFe briefly, built it up as a messabout bike, with a 50mm stem etc. Felt like riding a BMX with big wheels, sooooo short!

oxym0r0n

😥 Thanks all
    this all seems quite inconclusive I think???!!! I have been debating medium+90mm stem/large+shorter stem. Think I’ll try phoning Cy tomorrow if I can!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Paul recommended me a large. I also ride a large DW 5spot.

Running a 65mm stem and 711mm bars. Pretty nice. I can really wrench the front around. I had hilarious fun on the new Bristol stuff yesterday evening, where its length and big wheeledness should have shown up.

As long as you’re not a the extreme edge of the size, it proabaly won’t matter as much as you think it will, I’ve ridden 16inch to 19 inch bikes over the years.

oxym0r0n

Svienceofficer – you’re reasonably local aren’t you? Any chance of being a bit cheeky and asking whether I could have a pootle around the carpark on yours? Email in profile if you are willing??

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

WHAT!?

Meet a real person from the T’internet? I’m not sure. I’ve gone all anxious and coy!

metalheart
    Free Member

What width bars you plan on running?

oxym0r0n

😆 @ scienceofficer – thanks for the email

Bars – trying to find some flats around 700mm I think

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve founded that going from 685 to 711 allows 10-20mm off the stem length. Although currently testing 762’s ATM 😳

I went from initially a 90mm stem and whatever the size below 685 was to 711 and 70/mm stem on the soul. Also pushed the saddle forwards a little so not slammed totally back over a period of oh 2 years.

This informed the Solaris set up.

But to be honest I guess if you like a long stretched ‘race’ position then go large, if you like chuckable go medium. At ~6′ your lucky that you have the choice :mrgreen:

chiefgrooveguru

mboy, I had a 60mm stem and 670mm bars on it for the last year, switched to 50/711 recently. A typical ride for me is 3-4 hours of ragging it round the woods though I’m out for longer when I have the time. To be honest I get a bit confused by discussions of bikes feeling too cramped for long rides as my arms bend at the elbow! Clearly I’m not normal as I’m also using a straight post and have my saddle forward on the rails too…  As long as my knees aren’t hitting the bars when I stand up to pedal, especially uphill, then that’s long enough for me. Essentially though my Soul is built like a lighter BFe (140mm forks with not much sag, 1×10, dropper, etc) for someone who only does smaller air and tries to ride smooth.

I’ve been doing some maths on this but it gets rather complicated. However, widen the bars by ~30mm whilst shortening the stem by ~10mm and the reach remains the same. Also, I note that the difference in top tube length between a medium and large Cotic is only ~20mm – knowing how much I prefer the handling with a short stem I’d rather have a large with a 60mm stem than a medium with an 80mm stem – it’s not like there’s a shortage of standover clearance if you’re vaguely in the right size bracket.

Naranjada
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and I rode a large yesterday at the Cotic demo day; it felt good, really good.

I’d say a large will be right for you at 6′, pop a short stem on and fun times await.

I liked it so much I bought myself a frame straight after riding the demo.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d say large, I’m about 6’2″ and it was superb, very well balanced on descents, despite only having a 100mm fork. Climbed superbly too.

oxym0r0n

Update: Thank you very much to a forum member who allowed me to ride their Solaris.

Comparing to what I ride now, I think I am fairly decided on getting a medium with 80mm stem and 710 bars with 6 deg bend (any recommendations would be gratefully recived – esp. carbon) rather than less stand over and a really dinky stem.

Thanks for all the contributions – I’ll have to post a pic when it’s built…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You’re welcome.

;o)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What size Solaris – help!’ is closed to new replies.