Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What size front rotor for XT785 brake?
  • granny_ring

I’ve normally had 180s on the front with previous brakes for a bit more power but as these are supposed to be pretty powerful brakes anyone using 160s for xc/trail riding or should I get a 180?

Any other makes work ok with the brake, superstar etc or best to use the expensive icetech rotors?

TIA

mboy
    Free Member

Just bung a 180 on otherwise you’ll not feel the benefit over your previous brakes most likely. They’re powerful yeah, but they’re not like Formula The One’s where you NEED to downsize rotors…

And shimano rotors are way better than aftermarket IMO, though you don’t need to buy the expensive ice tech ones, the normal steel ones will do fine.

jam-bo

160 rotors on the front look odd.

Very little weight penalty for a 180.

tony24
    Free Member

I’ve got 160 on the front and back of my carbon 456 can lock up the brakes with no problems if need be. For big stuff like the alps etc probably go 180 but for most of uk seems enough for me

granny_ring

Cheers, not worried about the extra weight of the 180 just didn’t want to be over braked.
    Guess I’ll try a 160 and see if it’s enough if not it can be a spare for the rear.
    Where’s best price for shimano discs, anywhere in uk or Rose bikes again?

Superficial
    Free Member

My 785s are noticeably more powerful than the old-style SLX they replaced. I did consider down-sizing on the rotor front as I’m sure 160mm would be fine for UK riding, but I haven’t got around to trying it yet (laziness).

I don’t really think you’ll be overbraked. Just don’t squeeze it as hard, innit?

granny_ring

Actually think I’ve got a hayes 180mm rotor on fitted at the mo that should be ok to use wont it?

For superstar pads is it the S1S or S1K for these and slx brakes?

Superficial
    Free Member

Neither – it’s the S5 type (scroll further down the list).

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/images/ebay/BrakePadIdentifiier.jpg

granny_ring

Yeah cheers, I read it properly after my post…..
    Are the organic any good with these brakes or best to use sintered or kevlar?

Superficial
    Free Member

Haven’t used the organics – the last 8 pairs I’ve used have been the Kevlar ones which seem great to me. In theory the organic ones will have more bite from cold but will wear quicker.

I don’t really think the model of brake has anything to do with what compound pads you use. Read the reviews of superstar pads and see if they’re any good.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What size front rotor for XT785 brake?’ is closed to new replies.