Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What size BB for an old Kona Kikapu?
  • Potdog
    Free Member

I'm hoping to use a set of old Octalink cranks that I have sitting around, so need an old style BB. Anyone know what size is right for this bike?
    I've googled my heart out but not been able to find the appropriate info.
    Have tried a 113mm as I had an old one kicking about, but it's deffo not that as the rings miss the chain stays by about 1mm.
    So I guess that leaves 116mm or 118mm, there´s not going to be a huge difference between the two and I'm erring on the side of the 118mm, but does anyone have the official specs? Maybe an old user guide or something.
    I'm not sure exactly what year it is but I'm guessing it's 2005 or 2006. It's silver and white if that helps.

Cheers Guys!

granny_ring

I've got some older lx cranks, blue ish colour, think they were supposed to use 121mm axle but seemed ok with 113mm

kaesae
    Free Member

You could just call paligap and ask them?

Potdog
    Free Member

The cranks are LX ones from 2004, but with the 113mm BB there is next to no clearance between the rings and the chain stays. Think I may just take the whole thing to the LBS and try a couple for best fit. I'm lead to believe that there should be a "finger" thickness between the rings and the stays?
    Could be an old wife's tale though.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey mate. Looks like everyone else on here's too busy arguing or talking about shaving their knackers.

I have a used Shimano BB 118mm that seems to be in decent working order. If you email me your address I'll post it out tomorrow with my bearing kit's.

How does that sound?

warpcow
    Free Member

A quick google reveals that granny is right, you need 121mm. It's not the frame that dictates the axle length, it's the crank arms. You might possibly get away with kaesae's though.

Potdog
    Free Member

Kaesae. Thanks for the offer, but I'm not UK based, so probably a bit more hassle than you would have expected.

warpcow. I would have thought it would be a combination of frame and cranks as the chain stay design will surely also have an impact.

warpcow
    Free Member

Hmm, guess you're right. Never thought of it like that 😳 . I'd assume 121mm is pretty much the minimum for those particular cranks then. I had a few old Kona hardtails and they had massive chainring clearence (and chuff-all mud clearence), unlike my current Inbred.

Potdog
    Free Member

Best I can get here is a 118mm. So going to drop that in tonight and see how it looks. If I need a 121mm then it will be a CRC job as none on the island by all accounts.

Mud clearance is happily not a problem here 😀

Thankfully it was the same price as the 113mm so a straight swap at the LBS.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What size BB for an old Kona Kikapu?’ is closed to new replies.