Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What single-speed to replace my On-One Inbred?
  • anlegov
    Free Member

I have had a single-speed On-One Inbred since 2007 for riding to work and back and occasionally taking the long way home through the woods. It’s fairly knackered now and I would like to replace it. However, it looks to me like On-One don’t do a single-speed Inbred anymore. So has anyone got any suggestions for a low-cost one-gear bike to replace my Inbred?

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Is the frame knakered? Surely whatever components have worn out can be replaced.

Well I am always going to say Pipedream Sirrus with its sliding dropouts or you could use the Orange P7.

Any frame can be made into a single speed. Find a frame you like and single speed that. Any bike with vertical dropouts is easy to do without the use of tensioners. I have two.

Stoner
    Free Member

they’re doing a 26″ SS/slotted in the next delivery I think

http://www.shedfire.com/page/2/

jonba
    Free Member

inbred? the slot dropout is singlespeedable, basically track ends with disc mounts.

anlegov
    Free Member

It’s knackered in the sense that the frame tubes are a bit dented and there is a lot of paint missing now – as well as plenty of rust spots on the lugs. I think a respray with On-One decals would probably come close to the cost of a new frame. But then a new Inbred like Stoner shows above will mean new wheels and brakes to match the disc mounts. Oj, oj, it would be easier to buy a complete new bike and get a few €s for the old Inbred. Well, that’s what I am thinking at the moment. But are there any complete SS mountainbikes for about 600 GBP or €700?

takisawa2

If a 20″ fits one of THESE might be good:-

andyl
    Free Member

if it’s an older frame it might be nicer to ride than the newer ones. I’d just get the frame cleaned up and resprayed. Dents are character 😀

satchm00
    Free Member

I just got a frame off ebay, great fun 😀

anlegov
    Free Member

The Surly looks fine, but my legs are too short for a 20″ frame.

p7rich
    Free Member

On One Whippet? IIRC the geometry is EXACTLY the same as an Inbred. I have been riding one for 2-3 months set up as SS and am loving it. Frame = £300. Lightness of carbon seems perfectly suited to SS ideals.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Whippet!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dialled Love/Hate..

Love.It.

p7rich
    Free Member

Very nice Mr Mills, you must be very proud 🙂 A little ostentatious for myself though. I own the raw, stealthy variety.

PS. Deffo same geo as Inbred – just checked On one site.

anlegov
    Free Member

The Whippet looks great, but I need mudguard eyes for commuting. Will ask On One if they will do complete bikes with the 26″ SS/slotted in the next delivery.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

anlegov keep hold of the inbred you,ll only regret it 😉

hock

looks to me like On-One don’t do a single-speed Inbred anymore

they don’t currently but they have a 18″ Ex-Demo On-One Inbred SS for GBP799 on offer right now in the clearance corner

Apart from that On One does/did build complete bikes based on the frames and parts they have around.

(If you are selling/buying complete bikes anyway) you might not mind going the 29er route either
    Genesis Fortitude Singlespeed GBP849
    Kona Unit GBP850
    Kona Unit 2009 GBP750

donks
    Free Member

Kinesis decade ?

simon1975

I think a respray with On-One decals would probably come close to the cost of a new frame.

£35 for strip and powdercoat (incl forks) plus £12 for professionally printed vinyls:

Don’t worry about little dents on a steel commuting bike.

donks
    Free Member

Simon
    Where did you get the paint job done for that price? And what forks are they?

simon1975

W H Paints in Mansfield. They have a range of colours (not “RAL” though). I prepared the frame myself with old bolts, BB, headset, seat etc to protect the insides, after removing the unnecessary geary bits too.

The fork is a fabulous Salsa Cromoto; I removed the v-brake bosses before the paint job 🙂

Vinyls were the car body-wrap stuff from Hayman Graphics in Nottingham (I’ve replaced them since and lacquered over them for better durability).

frenhtony
    Free Member

got a 18″ kona unit 29er possibly for sale. £400 + postage. Superb ride. Selling only because a it’s too small for me, even with a 400 seat post and a long stem 🙁

anlegov
    Free Member

I think I should look for a cheaper powder-coating place (but in Slovenia – Mansfield is too far).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What single-speed to replace my On-One Inbred?’ is closed to new replies.