Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • What road wheels for £500?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

I’ve got more road wheels than bikes, and that’s not including the C/F bling jobbies for TTing.

Got a pair of D/A 7850 CL24s for my ‘best’ road bike and they’ve been very nice 8).

My 2004 Campag Zondas are still soldiering on nicely though the bearings need some TLC. – Campag make some nice wheels.

Went off Mavic three years ago when an Aksium rear did what DezB’s did. Replaced it under warranty and that one went in the same fashion 😡

Never tried tubless (road or MTB) though I really can’t see the point for road tyres. And this from someone who has 6 C/F tub wheels and was so happy that he managed to fit a Conti tub in (a clocked) 10 minutes.

(For those that don’t know, Conti tubs are infamous for being utter utter utter gits to fit).

DezB
    Free Member

Aksium rear did what DezB’s did

Odd that, cos an Aksium is being used as a spare now, it’s about 3 years old and has had a lot of use!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’d be thinking RS80’s or American Classics.

buffalobill
    Free Member

I was looking at a pair of American Classics the other day. Rutland are doing a pair of Sprint 350s for £350.

yossarian
    Free Member

Having gone away and looked around and stuff, I can’t really see past the RS80’s in terms of weight and overall vfm. I found the debate about tubeless on the road an interesting one, although why do folk feel the need to get so angry about a **** tyre???? Anyway it seems to me that the fact that there is so much debate as to the relative merits of going tubeless on the road versus practically universal acceptance of off road tubeless benefits that it’s probably not for me just yet.

Cheers all

epicsteve
    Free Member

although why do folk feel the need to get so angry about a **** tyre?

It happens when someone blows a lot of cash on something new and realise deep down that it was a pointless waste of money but try hard to justify it to themselves and others. Mac owners are in a similar situation and you see the same sort of behaviour from them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Haha, epicsteve hits the nail on the head.

Adders69
    Free Member

I’ve found this debate to be quite interesting, but emotion definitely outweighs facts … which is less that helpful in making a decision regarding tubeless for the road.

Was really hoping to be better informed by the end of the tread than I was at the beginning, having suffered three punctures in the last two outing – and getting really pee’d off about it. Run tubeless MTB which has been absolutely faultless – was rather hoping that tubeless was viable for the road too … but none the wiser 🙁

m1kea
    Free Member

Re tubless;

I’m too old to learn new tricks 😉 and the requirements for going tubeless just seem to be too much effort for, IMO, negligible gain.

Interesting that folk seem to have a lot of punctures. My last clincher puncture was IIRC 2009, and that’s including probably 1000+ miles of off roading………

winterfold
    Free Member

Ive got R3s and they are nice very strong fast light-ish pimp wheels with great hubs which are very well sealed

I have hit some serious potholes on descents and it takes a life threatening impact to get them out of true.

But the thing I didn’t know when I got them was the absence of rim tape means they are a bitch if you need to replace a spoke nipple. You need some special tools and patience. Sods law dictates the spoke nipple that rounds off will be the one furthest from the valve hole and therefore most time consuming to replace.

As they are alloy nipples they are very soft and easy to round off – so you learn to file the nipple down so you can get a smaller key on it.

Pity cos great wheels – steel nipples would only be a few gm heavier and would make them cheaper

For that reason I would not get them again – I would go with something more conventional like Easton or DT Swiss.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What road wheels for £500?’ is closed to new replies.