Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • What Road / Gravel
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Used to have a Bianchi Narone 7, loved it but it was a bit harsh had terrible brakes and I could never quite get comfy.

Replaced it with a Cotic Escapade and didn’t like it at all, felt far too heavy, leisurely and a bit dead.

I’m after something new and really not sure where to start, I’d like something that can handle a bit of light off road, has discs but also feels nippy on tarmac.

Any suggestions?

ahwiles
    Free Member

you’re welcome to have a spin on my Arkrose…

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks, an Arkose is on the short list but not sure I have stilts long enough to try yours, I’m an optimistic 5.10.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

A Cotic Escap….. Oh hang on 🙁

Must admit I’d not describe mine as leisurely and dead, then again maybe the Hope 20Five wheels and Tubless Schwalbe G-Ones make a huge difference.

djglover
    Free Member

I just bought a Mason definition for this purpose. Using it as a winter trainer. So far done only road stuff but it’s nippy enough to keep up on our local chaingang. Plan is, come spring, when best carbon ones out of hibernation is to put 32c gravel tyres on at take the guards off. It’s supremely comfortable and looks, amazing I think

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QuSHwN]Untitled[/url] by danjwilkinson, on Flickr

thepodge
    Free Member

The Escapade just didn’t have the zing, perhaps I’ll not get that with a gravel bike but it was far too different to my Bianchi to properly enjoy on the road.

Mason looks nice but way out of my budget.

djglover
    Free Member

I did the build for significantly cheaper than their 105 rrp, my original plan was a Bowman Pilgrims with a similar build but they were out of stock, could be worth a look though?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I recently bought a GT Grade Carbon 105 with a view to introducing a 25 mile-ish canal path commute. Have only ridden it on-road so far but managed to keep up with a couple of roadie mates of mine quite easily.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QNS9PQ]GT Grade in the fog[/url] by CJK007, on Flickr

gummikuh

I have a Genesis Datum, which feels quick enough for me.
    I am using it all year round as my commuter.

thepodge
    Free Member

Datum looks nice but again way out of my price range.

I’ve got a maximum of 1.5k to spend but would really like it to be closer to a grand. Not got too many mates with this kind of bike so trying them out is largely limited to shop showrooms.

djglover
    Free Member

Bet you could do a self build pilgrims for 1500 with 105 hydro

thepodge
    Free Member

30-35 on a pilgrim, isn’t that a bit slim for a gravel bike?

Also that’s a fair financial gable that I’ll like the bike.

ElVino

Orro Terra Gravel

In the spirit of recommending what you have, I love my Orro. Price is right on the money for you and it takes proper mudguards. Plenty fast on the road and comfortable on tow paths and fire roads.

thepodge
    Free Member

Again nice bike but without trying how do I know I’m not just making the mistake I did with the Escapade?

Should I be looking at cx bikes to get a more racey feel like my old bike or is that the wrong way of looking at it?

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’ve just built up an All City Macho King frameset – Reynolds 853. Certainly for less than the 105 Mason. I posted some pictures a week or so ago.

benp1

I like that Mason, although the front mudguard is bugging me!

dmck16
    Free Member

Recommend what you have – Focus Mares 😀
    I use it with two wheelsets – one with slicks for road training, one with Nanos for off roading. No complaints here.

I’d be surprised if there isn’t a Focus dealer near you.
    In my case I was pretty lucky that the owner of a nearby shop is the same size as myself so I could try his Mares beforehand.

tillydog
    Free Member

Diverge…?

onandon
    Free Member

I have a pickenflick and synapse. The synapse can run 700/30 tyres which would give you some options for gravel rubber. I’d probably say the pickenflick with 700/35s is a quicker, more comfy and capable bike off road. And the synapse on road. No surprises but decent wheels transformed both.
    I’m not sure what would cause the dead feeling but oem tyres, heavy wheels and the thick oem bar tape doesn’t help matters.

jameso

Should I be looking at cx bikes to get a more racey feel like my old bike or is that the wrong way of looking at it?

Go for something light and stiff with tighter angles and a lower BB for a more road-bike feel but accept that this will feel pretty sketchy at speed over anything like the average byway or ‘UK gravel’. A longer wheelbase, space for 40Cs and a slacker HA with a bit more fork offset helps off-road but the majority are still in the fast/exciting/nervy range of handling for an off-road bike. Anything that takes a 32-35C tyre max is still in the rough-road area rather than anything that truly copes with average off-road tracks imo.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a Mason Bokeh frame, and will be running it with etap disc, with 650b wheels and probably Compass 35mm+ tyres. Will be interesting, hopefully….

jameso

650b wheels and probably Compass 35mm+ tyres. Will be interesting, hopefully….

Will be with tyres that small, the BB will be pretty low : ) I had a Pinnacle Pyrolite fitted with 650x38s a couple of years back, amazing downhill but with 175 cranks pedaling out of corners needed care.

Ben_H

I’ve had a Cotic Escapade, Kinesis 4S Disc and Surly Straggler (amongst others) in succession.

The Cotic has a very tall front end and, as a result, I’d agree it can feel leisurely – but I measured its frame weight at just under 2kg, so it’s at least competitive there. I ran it with several bar, wheel and tyre combinations and it would happily do them all.

The 4S was a light frame and accelerated fabulously in comparsion to the Escapade, but was much more road-orientated and definitely not something I’d feel comfortable riding off-road for prolonged periods. It’s much more of a road bike than the other two.

In the last month, I’ve built and ridden a Surly Straggler – complete with 41c Knards on Hope 20Five wheels and a mix of 105, Avid BB7Rs and Thomson finishing. It’s a tad heavier than the Escapade and naturally this dulls acceleration on tarmac, but it’s very comfortable and rolls surprisingly well. I’ve kept the Racelight Disc wheels from the Kinesis with skinnier tyres, so I can swap to something lighter on dry days. In the meatime, the fat tyre build gives a lot confidence on slippery or uneven surfaces.

I think you will need to decide how far you want to go with off-road capability and how important weight is. Personally, I’ve found that fat tyres and more weight slow me down far less than I ever thought they would – while adding a lot more capability.

aP
    Free Member

but with 175 cranks pedaling out of corners needed care

It’ll be with 170mm cranks, I can always go mad and put a pair of Switchback Hill on it 🙂

greentricky
    Free Member

I have a GT Grade but the 105 alloy version, think it does everything you need. Currently running it with 32mm and mudgaurds which is lovely for winter and goes great in the summer on 25’s. The carbon version is meant to be fantastic but for £1,500 I would be tempted to get the alloy and upgrade to some hunt wheels, carbon post+new saddle and pocket the change.

bob_summers

Will be interesting, hopefully….

Sounds lovely, cant wait to see it.

Gt Grade carbon 105 here, the flexy seatstays do help it cope with the very rough stuff. Over a year on, I love it, though if I’d known I was going to use it quite so much, I might have considered the Ultegra for the nicer shifters and hubs (the formula freehub died some time ago)

thepodge
    Free Member

on and on – I’m not sure what would cause the dead feeling but oem tyres, heavy wheels and the thick oem bar tape doesn’t help matters.

Hope / XT hubs with H Plus Sons rims & Gatorskins so reasonable spec wheels.

jameso…

excellent info, thanks.

Ben_H – The 4S was a light frame and accelerated fabulously in comparsion to the Escapade, but was much more road-orientated and definitely not something I’d feel comfortable riding off-road for prolonged periods. It’s much more of a road bike than the other two.

This might be more my thing. I’m only looking to go off road on disused railways, farm tracks, that kind of thing not days in the Lakes.

Maybe dead was the wrong term but riding the Bianchi made me want to attack everything even if it killed me and that seemed to be missing from the Escapade.

drover
    Free Member

Mango Bikes Point AR

tmb467
    Free Member

if you wanna quick spin on my giant revolt (tubeless, hunt wheels, full guards) drop us a mail. People reckon it looks sh!t but looks are personal and i dont mind it

only got sora on at the min but it still feels good on the road (and crucially, offroad as well)

Xylene
    Free Member

Very pleased with my Marin Four Corners Elite – even if people do take the piss about its giant headtube

Available in rasta colours for 2017

squealer
    Free Member

I’ve been dithering over a charge plug 5 for ages now . As a road/ gravel bike it seems to have everything covered. And it’s a ti frame….

It’s over your budget at £2,400 but Hargroves have 30% off at the moment taking it down to about £1,700.

thepodge
    Free Member

tmb467 – People reckon it looks sh!t

I can see why, thanks for the offer though.

Quirrel – Very pleased with my Marin Four Corners Elit

Thinking this might be too close to the Escapade for me to really notice a difference.

tmb467
    Free Member

get away with you – it looks fine! especially with guards and 35c tyres 🙂

nathb
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

Chinese carbon looks nice but what the max tyre I’d get in there?

ElVino

Again nice bike but without trying how do I know I’m not just making the mistake I did with the Escapade?

These days I am a road cyclist first and MTBer a distant second. The Orro Terra is a replacement for a CX bike which while fine felt a bit dead on long road rides, this one feels like my good road bike on all but the longest climbs and is arguably faster on the flat as my Strava segments attest. This never happened with the CX bike.

niksnr
    Free Member

Same situation here. I’m currently looking at a Sonder Camino. Would love the ti but think the AL is more within my budget.

nathb
    Free Member

I’m not sure to be honest, the most I’ve run is 28s, maybe 40s?

Here’s some pics with 25s:
    PIC 1
    PIC 2
    PIC 3

Could be cheeky and ask Ribble what the max tyre size is on their CR3.

I’ve cycled on closed roads with it against folks on dedicated racing bikes and didn’t have any issues keeping up, if that’s any use also.

welshfarmer

Brother just bought a Whyte Friston for your budget. Only ridden it once on a circuit of the Blorenge, including some pretty extreme offroad stuff, and it was great. Flew on the tarmac, gripped great on the mud and was comfy on the quarry tracks and the old tramway. Looks to be very well put together but certainly won’t be the lightest option. However, very modern geo and spec for the money.

chrispy

Hi welshfarmer, Where did your brother get the friston from? I am very keen to take a look at one in person. Thanks!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘What Road / Gravel’ is closed to new replies.