• This topic has 25 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nathb.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Chinese Carbon – CR3/FLX-FR-602/AC059/CX-002
  • nathb
    Free Member

Hello all,

I’m thinking of replacing my Planet X London Road in large for a 57cm open mold chinese frame.

Before I hit the buy button is there other manufacturers of this frame I should consider?

I know of:
    Ribble – CR3
    Flyxii – FLX-FR-602
    ICAN – AC059
    Velobuild – CX-002

It’s this frame:

Thanks!

nathb
    Free Member

Done:

Flyxii FR-602

wwaswas

Nice 🙂 How does it ride?

Decking less so.

willard

Nice! Looks proper stealthy.

How does it ride? What’s the finish/quality like?

nathb
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

Not ridden it yet 😳

Finish wise it’s good, the cosmetic layer looks good to me, be a bonus if it doesn’t snap:

Frame weighed 1030g, forks 436g uncut.

Total build weight is 8.9kg – It’s my commuter so I didn’t go OTT plus I’ve still got the winter tyres on.

P.s. the decking is on my to do list. 😆

stumpy01

Very Nice!!

nathb
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    Very Nice!!

Thanks!

Need to get some summer commuting tyres sorted now – never ending. 😆

barrykellett
    Free Member

Nice bike – Good luck with the decking.
    Just reclaimed half of my back garden back after 3 days of destruction.

nathb
    Free Member

barrykellett – Member
    Nice bike – Good luck with the decking.
    Just reclaimed half of my back garden back after 3 days of destruction.

Thanks!

By to do list, I mean next years? – I’d rather be out cycling. 😈

sq225917
    Free Member

I’m curious how you know that it’s the same frame, just because it looks the same doesn’t mean it’s the same mould, the same layup or even the same supplier. There are many tiers of Chinese frame builders producing similar looking frame with wildly different spec and quality control.

nathb
    Free Member

sq225917 – Member
    I’m curious how you know that it’s the same frame, just because it looks the same doesn’t mean it’s the same mould, the same layup or even the same supplier. There are many tiers of Chinese frame builders producing similar looking frame with wildly different spec and quality control.

My original post took into consideration the design (perhaps I should have used that wording).

I was researching manufacturers of that design and then went with the one that had the most users without issue (Flyxii).

stayhigh

Looks very nice that 🙂
    How much was the frame and postage, what was delivery time like if you don’t mind me asking?

nathb
    Free Member

stayhigh – Member
    Looks very nice that
    How much was the frame and postage, what was delivery time like if you don’t mind me asking?

Thank you!

It was $435 inc carbon seatpost and spare hanger and took a week to arrive. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

There are many tiers of Chinese frame builders producing similar looking frame with wildly different spec and quality control.

His OP listed a number of reputable Chinese builders, he wasn’t proposing to take a random punt on any seller. My Deng Fu has surpassed all expectations. great finish, rides brilliantly. I love it.

Jason
    Free Member

Looks a lot like mine. Mine was from Ican, but frame looks the same. I have had mibe for almost two years, and no problems at all with it.

Mine is finished in Matt UD

nathb
    Free Member

Jason – Member
    Looks a lot like mine. Mine was from Ican, but frame looks the same. I have had mibe for almost two years, and no problems at all with it.

Mine is finished in Matt UD

Looks very nice, what wheels are those and what weight is it?

I only realised after I’d set it all up that the rear brake outer casing needs to be run all the way through 😳

I was in talks with Ican but they didn’t have BSA frames in stock, and with the immenent brexit vote coming up I needed to act fast. Flyxii were great to deal with.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Love that planet-X have popped into the thread to criticise quality control 😆

nathb
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    Love that planet-X have popped into the thread to criticise

Omg!

Good spot – What a nerve!!

This bike actually replaces a London Road – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-planet-x-london-road-frmaeset-for-150/page/19

whisky711
    Free Member

Is it a carbon fork steerer? Which expander device did you use to attach everything? Thinking of going down the carbon fork route.

cchris2lou

i have a FR320 with a carbon steerer forks . it came with the headset .

2 years and 1000s of kilometers .

nathb
    Free Member

whisky711 – Member
    Is it a carbon fork steerer? Which expander device did you use to attach everything? Thinking of going down the carbon fork route.

It’s held together with a lifeline (wiggle) carbon expanded and headset. It’s my first full carbon fork too, my other bikes have had aluminium steerers with carbon forks.

cchris2lou – Member
    i have a FR320 with a carbon steerer forks . it came with the headset .

2 years and 1000s of kilometers .

I did consider the 320, but figured I wouldn’t be able to fit my 28c tyres in it?

njee20
    Free Member

Is it a carbon fork steerer? Which expander device did you use to attach everything

My Deng Fu came with one, most do, at least if you ask for a headset. I can’t honestly remember if I paid for mine or not.

nathb
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    My Deng Fu came with one, most do, at least if you ask for a headset. I can’t honestly remember if I paid for mine or not.

Mine would have come with one, but I forgot to confirm it in my final email.

They said they’d send me one out on my next order though. (PX take note 🙂 )

Jason
    Free Member

Looks very nice, what wheels are those and what weight is it?

Light Bicycle U shaped 55mm rims with Novatech hubs. Sorry I don’t think I have ever weighed it built up, frame and fork weights were very similar to yours.

simondbarnes

Love that planet-X have popped into the thread to criticise quality control

That did make me chuckle 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Had to get a bit creative with fitting the speed/cadence sensors (black zip ties on order…)

But FINALLY managed to get this out today and put it through it’s paces.

The bike feels very comfortable and forgiving over pot holes/poor surfaces, can definitely tell there is some give in the carbon versus my alu bikes which rattle you. I fitted bars which were slightly narrower (by accident Deda measure there’s differently to everyone else apparently) so this took the most getting used to – but I don’t find it uncomfortable. The bike also likes to accelerate, feels much quicker getting up to speed than my other bikes.

The only “negative” I have about this bike is that the steering feels a bit lazy, but I was expecting that due to the geo. Also I’ve been only been using a Felt F series since the PX debacle a couple of months ago, and that has ridiculously quick steering.

I’m still yet to decide what summer tyres I’m going to switch too, but using Rubino Pro techs + I haven’t been out properly in the last couple of weeks, I still think I got some okay stats:

Best of all, the Chinese carbon didn’t spontaneously combust on me! 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Chinese Carbon – CR3/FLX-FR-602/AC059/CX-002’ is closed to new replies.