Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What road bike? (sorry)
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

I am looking for a road bike and i am after a corbon frame with minimum 105 groupset.

I have been looking at this Focus Cayo

But is there any better for the same money?

Ed2001
    Free Member

My advice would be to think exactly what you want the road bike for
    training? commuting? racing? club runs? posing? etc etc.
    Then go to a good bike shop and talk to them.

Don't just read a few reviews in a mag or get some recommendations off here and buy off the web. This is a mistake as you will probably get the wrong bike and the wrong size for you.

NickScots
    Free Member

For a bit more cash and not a carbon frame I got a Ghost, triple, for Alpine/Pyrenean cols and hilly rides here in scotland.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44902

Super smooth and 105 groupset and mavic wheels. Would recommend it 100%.

I would agree with previous poster about fitting, easy to get the wrong size with a road bike. I was very careful about sizing after buying a slightly too small road bike 5 years ago. But, it only really matters with long rides eg 5hrs plus or on long Cols days.

Nick

wassell99
    Free Member

I got a Orbea Aqua for a bit of everything and is suuppa sweet! THey also the oniyx starting at £1200 if you is after carbon equally lovley. CHeck out thier website!

Marmoset
    Free Member

I was going to buy a cannondale Caad8 or 9 but after test riding them and seeing how much more confortable the Caad 9 was over the 8 I turned my attention to looking at something carbon and found that Evans are doing a special edition Cannondale Six carbon for £1400. Not got it yet but I'd imagine it's a belter, given how the alu frames I tested felt. The Cayo was in the running but the sizes didn't add up for me, short head tubes for their given sizes would have meant a gate of a frame or a load of spacers and a rising stem.

takisawa2

My mate has a Ribble Gran-Fondo on his BTW scheme.
    Its gorgeous.

GJP
    Free Member

I am drooling over one of these at the moment Colnago C59 … Now where is that damn lottery ticket £3300 for the frameset

But in all seriousness, get a bike fit from a shop and then first and foremost chose a bike with a geometry and sizing that is right for you. Many top carbon frames have very short head tubes, which may be fine for out and out racers, but not for the majority of us weekend warriors.

Philby

In answer to the OP's question there probably isn't a better value bike at the moment.

However as stated above its only good value if its suitable for the type of riding you want to do, and that it fits. Wiggle have an excellent returns policy so you could try for several days and return if you don't like it.

Lots of threads on this bike over on Bike Radar.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What road bike? (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.