Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • what rim on hoops? 717 / 4.2d / Flow??
  • robob
    Free Member

for a superlight used for everything…

had 717s forever, boring but reliable.
    4.2d?
    Flows, bit heavier but can run bigger tyres with less deformation and can run tubless easier?

any thoughts, recomendations or ommisions?

thanks.

Tiboy

355s? wider than a 717 and lighter.

grumm
    Free Member

Depends how heavy you are/whether you are going to want to run big tyres. My flows seem really nice but I've not tried them properly yet. Tubeless setup is really easy though, even with non tubeless tyres.

robob
    Free Member

re the 355s, are they any weaker than 717s?

the narrowest tyres i generally run are 2.2s and up to 2.4 where the tyre sometimes bulb out from the rim hence wanting a wider rim.

didn't know you could run non tubeless tyres with flows… how so??

Tiboy

I've got flows and run 2.35s on them and if you're going to run 2.4s I'd say go for the flows. The 355s are pretty tough, but the lady I know who has them and hasn't had any issues is only 7 stone!

My flows however have taken a battering from me at 14stone around Glentress and innerleithen and are still perfectly true.

Running tubeless is easy with the flows, yellow tape, valve adaptor and pump up with some stand fluid if using normal tyres, I use maxxis ardent and nevegal.

scaredypants

stan's rims I've had didn't come with a valve, so you either fit a tubeless vale/rimstrip or just use a tube as "normal"

nickc

719s? or 819 if you want tubless?

njee20
    Free Member

355s or Flows, Stan's rims are designed to be run with a conversion kit so they work far better converted than a 'normal' rim.

grumm
    Free Member

Just the yellow tape and some sealant has worked for me (Bonty Big Earl tyres) – really easy to inflate with a track pump too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘what rim on hoops? 717 / 4.2d / Flow??’ is closed to new replies.