Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What rear mech for 1×10?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

There’s a lot to choose from and I don’t know a lot about them. SLX, XT, SRAM, GS, SGS, long cage, short cage 🙄

It will be for xc use with big climbs and big descents. Any advice much appreciated.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Xtr shadow+

rwc03
    Free Member

Xtr shadow+

+1

But if you want to save some money the xt and slx version are out soonish

mboy
    Free Member

Whether you go SRAM or Shimano, and at whatever price point, go for a short or medium cage version if you can rather than a long cage. Long cage is designed to deal with the difference in chain tension with 3 rings up front, short/medium is better if you’re only using the one ring up front.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

XTR is a bit out of my price range unfortunately unless I can pick up a second hand one which is probably a big gamble with a rear mech.

Thanks mboy. So the shorter one would cope if I used chain devices as long as I get the chain length right?

mboy
    Free Member

Correct GiantJaunt

check the last picture currently in this post…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-new-bike-genesis-latitude/page/2#post-3694440

That’s a medium cage XT on my bike, with an 11-36 cassette. It’s sat in the smallest sprocket on that pic, but in the largest, the mech goes almost fully forward, the chain as tight as it can basically, if I removed another link I’d not be able to get into the largest cog on the back.

Shimano don’t do short cage any more, SRAM still do. Not that it’s an issue, Medium cage is still ideal for the job.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

That’s great, that really narrows things down. The short cage SRAM X9 could be a good option as long as it works with 11-36 cassette OK. I like the idea of the mech being out of the way of rocks and sticks as much as possible.

glacier79
    Free Member

Def what Rorschach said. That’s how I went with no regrets.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Maybe if I had the money but still not sure I’d want to spend so much on something that could easily get wrecked.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I run short cage sram mechs on both my 1×9/1×10 bikes, they work really well and help cut down on a lot of chain slap.

rwc03
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/shimano-slx-2013-unveiled-33285/4

The SLX version is on the way, but could be one month or could be six.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What rear mech for 1×10?’ is closed to new replies.