Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • What post excercise protein shake / fill you up stuff?
  • scruff9252

I know that proper whole food post excercise is best, however sometimes I can’t eat straight after excersising due I being quite time limited; swim before work then straight into meetings etc.

I’ve never bought food supliments before so I have no idea what I’m looking for.

I want something I can make up, and can potentially be kept un-refrigerated for up to a working day which will fill me up, satisfy post excercise protein / nutrition requirements and mean I don’t raid the vending machine / biscuit tin.

What would you reccomend and where is best to buy?

Ta

midlifecrashes

A banana and 1/2 pint of milk. (Milk can be kept cold in a thermos flask for up to a day)

If you really can’t have fresh, a carton of milkshake from any supermarket.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Chocolate milk and a banana

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A banana and 1/2 pint of milk.

Correct.

However, TriangleMan needs something more technical and turbo-GXi to go in his “Look at me, I’ve been at the gym. CHECK MY GUNS! GRRRR” shaker bottle.*

*Not suggesting the OP is one of said individuals, I should add! There does seem to be an industry built up to satisfy the shaker-bottle market, though!

willard

Half pint of skimmed milk, banana and a half tin of tuna.

Blend.

Drink.

All the protein and stuff you need to build big muscles in one drink.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Crumpets, a pair there of. Toasted with butter.

scruff9252

If you ever see me you will appreciate I am the opposite of triangle man! (literally too, weedy arms but strong legs from running & cycling alot).

Banana and milk sounds perfect, not sure about adding tuna though; that sounds rank!

Drac

Rorschach
    Free Member

_tom_
    Free Member

Banana and milk..? Lots of sugar and not much protein in that.. just get some myprotein powder, it’s only £12 a bag and 20g of protein in one scoop. Can be made with water or milk and takes seconds to make and drink.

Keva
    Free Member

willlard, that must taste grim 😯

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Peanut butter and marmite sandwich (carbs, protein, sodium, portable and doesn’t need to live in the fridge) and a pint of green tea. Protein drinks can make you bloat and fart–probably not what you want if you’re going into a meeting

wrecker
    Free Member

Actually whey protein is proper whole food.
    There’s loads of stuff available, I get whey isolate 97 from the protein works. Nice Jaffa cake flavour too.

Coyote
    Free Member

PhD Whey Protein shake. 2 scoops in a shaker bottle before you leave home. Add water and shake after exercise. 34g of protein which I believe is the maximum the body can cope with in one hit. Gives you a nice full feeling without bloating and has no flatulent side effects that I have noticed.

MoreCashThanDash

Bottle of Goodness Shakes – usually get a couple when supermarkets have them on offer, useful when I’m away from home and it’s that or McDonalds

mrblobby
    Free Member

if you want something a little more substantial you could try mixing in some finely milled oats (places like myprotein do big bags cheaply.) Filling, low GI, and you can mix it into chocolate milk if you want to go down that route.

willard

It is. That’s why I just use normal protein powder and skimmed milk. Tuna’s nice to eat, not so nice as a drink.

wsj1
    Free Member

A lot of these protein products contain poor quality whey or unwanted ingredients/fillers. Two I would recommend are profile protein shot, if you want just simple high quality protein or evolution pro from no limits sports nutrition if you want a complete recovery product, both contain high quality whey and no unwanted ingredients

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I’m with Rorschach. Just got in from a fairly strenuous 3hr night road ride. Poured myself a Guinness before I even took my cycling kit off ?

jonba
    Free Member

Banana and milk..? Lots of sugar and not much protein in that.. just get some myprotein powder, it’s only £12 a bag and 20g of protein in one scoop. Can be made with water or milk and takes seconds to make and drink.

There is roughly 20g of protein in a pint of milk. There will be some in the banana. You need carbohydrates to recover to provide energy for the metabolic processes involved in muscle repair.

surfer
    Free Member

There does seem to be an industry built up to satisfy the shaker-bottle market, though!

As well as the running bottle/gel/energy bar market.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

+ milk & banana / choc milk

I tend to go for protein shake + banana and/or oats, if short on time.

34g of protein which I believe is the maximum the body can cope with in one hit

No scientific basis for that AFAIK.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I’ve just put 500ml whole milk and a banana into “My Fitness Pal”:

Milk: 309 kcal, 17g fat, 23g carb, 17g protein.
    Banana (100g): 103 kcal, 0g fat, 46g carb, 1g protein.

If that does it for you post workout then fine (some advocate carbs, some protein). But if it’s a post exercise “protein shake” you’ve decided on, maybe look at something else.

mcj78
    Free Member

+1 for a big glass of chocolate milk & a banana for me, I tried protein powder last year & while it did make me feel full, it also gave me a serious case of “the dog’s arse” & reduced my poopage to 1 house brick every 2-3 days, which, whilst certainly impressive – wasn’t the most pleasant experience – like giving birth I imagine, painful but fulfilling.

I remember reading an article somewhere about the whole protein powder industry & it claimed that much of the “whey protein” in these formulas is a by-product of other food manufacturing processes – the sludge at the bottom of the tank was how some were described – i’m sure it also said that much of the actual protein was denatured from heat during the manufacturing & that was why it was quite difficult to digest – apparently many bodybuilders suffer from distended stomachs from taking so much of the stuff that their bodies can’t digest it quickly enough & the un-digestible element builds up in the gut causing severe bloating & the kind of farts that killed the dinosaurs.

j

nickc

Half pint of skimmed milk, banana and a half tin of tuna.

GTFO. seriously, that would be rank

chakaping
    Free Member

I like sis rego chocolate flavour.

Or choc milk but I think the sis stuff works out cheaper if you get it on offer.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

much of the “whey protein” in these formulas is a by-product of other food manufacturing processes

Such as making cheese, for instance?

Of course it’s all a byproduct of other food manufacturing processes. Eons ago, dairies just tipped the whey into a handy river, because it was unwanted.

much of the actual protein was denatured from heat during the manufacturing

It’s pasteurised, just like all the other milk you might drink. Of course its heated.

quite difficult to digest –

whey is one of the easier proteins to digest, rather more so than most animal proteins

that was why it was apparently many bodybuilders suffer from distended stomachs from taking so much of the stuff that their bodies can’t digest it quickly enough & the un-digestible element builds up in the gut causing severe bloating & the kind of farts that killed the dinosaurs

what a massive pile of tosh

poah
    Free Member

denatured protein is more difficult to digest because the enzymes used to degrade protein can’t access the cleavage sites. However, denatured proteins tend to precipitate so won’t actually dissolve.

Too much protein will cause bloating and distend the stomach while poor protein digestion does cause gas.

footflaps

No scientific basis for that AFAIK.

When researchers studied the effect of protein-rich meals on muscle protein synthesis, they found that eating 113 grams of lean beef boosted muscle protein synthesis by 50 percent. A larger portion of beef failed to increase protein production in muscles. Your muscles won’t use more than 30 grams of protein consumed at one meal, according to the researcher’s report in the September 2009 issue of the “Journal of the American Dietetic Association.” Another study published in the “American Journal of Physiology” in April 2012 concluded that 35 grams of whey protein at one meal resulted in greater protein absorption and muscle protein synthesis than portions of 10 grams or 20 grams.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-post-excercise-protein-shake-fill-you-up-stuff

mcj78
    Free Member

what a massive pile of tosh

Oooooh, my apologies for offending the resident STW whey protein powder defence officer – put that handbag away & have a lie down, i’ll retract that sketchily remembered account of an article I once read in a dentist’s waiting room or suchlike lest I attract another stern rebuttal, haha! 🙄

But seriously – anything left over at the bottom of a vat of cheese, which is then recovered, isolated, purified(?), dehydrated (is it lyophilized, pray tell or just left out in the sun?), filtered, stuck in a poly bag, then hastily re-constituted as a tasty, yeasty drink with some water/milk doesn’t really appeal to me. I tried it for a while & found it made me feel sluggish, as well as bunging me up for days, feeling bloated and thirsty and plenty of others I know have had similar experiences… some folk love it, fair enough & it apparently gets good results in muscle building / repair… horses for courses – i’d rather have chocolate milk / banana / flapjack / guinness / steak / pork pie, or even the cheese that removed itself from the stuff in the first place.

mcj78
    Free Member

denatured protein is more difficult to digest because the enzymes used to degrade protein can’t access the cleavage sites. However, denatured proteins tend to precipitate so won’t actually dissolve.

Was my understanding too – I don’t trust the end product to be produced carefully enough, certainly not in every instance anyway, to ensure the protein is pure enough & intact enough to be of a great enough benefit to warrant it’s use over traditional healthy foods. I replaced the protein shake thing I used with a half pint or so of chocolate milk & a banana / flapjack whenever I felt a bit hungry before or after a ride & feel better for it – i’m commuting ~20 miles each way most days & go to the gym a couple of times per week during lunch on top for some strength work & don’t feel I need any more really.

OP – why not try the protein shake route & see how you get on for a week, maybe borrow some from a mate to try it, then the next week stock up on flapjacks / bananas / chocolate milk etc & see how you feel – tip for the protein stuff; go for the original flavour & add your own flavouring as necessary otherwise half of your protein powder is actually the sugary flavouring additive.

J

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t trust the end product to be produced carefully enough, certainly not in every instance anyway, to ensure the protein is pure enough & intact enough to be of a great enough benefit to warrant it’s use over traditional healthy foods. I replaced the protein shake thing I used with a half pint or so of chocolate milk & a banana / flapjack whenever I felt a bit hungry before or after a ride & feel better for it

otherwise half of your protein powder is actually the sugary flavouring additive.

As opposed to chocolate milk, obviously 😆

_tom_
    Free Member

One serving of myprotein impact whey has 1.3g of sugar anyway so that argument is invalid. A pint of milk has over 20g.

wrecker
    Free Member

One serving of myprotein impact whey has 1.3g of sugar anyway so that argument is invalid.

I don’t think so.
    34.7g of sugar in 330ml. That’s 39% of your RDA. In a drink. Plus 20% of your saturates.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268676457

Choc milk and flapjack is junkfood. Nothing more.

Kuco

I always thought chocolate milk was high in sugar?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I used to use Rego, seemed to work OK.

_tom_
    Free Member

34.7g of sugar in 330ml. That’s 39% of your RDA. In a drink.

Yeah this is my point. I think.

Stevet1
    Free Member

whats the fastet food in the world?
    Milk – cos its pasteurised…

mcj78
    Free Member

Choc milk and flapjack is junkfood. Nothing more.

Tasty though – 😉

300ml ss milk – ~5g + chocolate Nesquik – ~8g = 13g

Banana – 1-1.5g

cheap lidl 75g flapjack – ~3.5g

Just look at all those proteins in that lot, plus you get the wholesome goodness of additional sugar for an instant pick me up + some carbs – everyone loves carbs! Plus the flapjacks are full of butter – everyone who’s ever excelled at any sporting endeavor has probably consumed some butter at some point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What post excercise protein shake / fill you up stuff?’ is closed to new replies.