Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What mobile dongly thing for my son?
  • Curly68
    Free Member

My son wants my old laptop for school use and when we are out doing family things. It isn’t wireless, so I thought about one of those dongles that are about. Every shop I go in says theirs is the best (obviously). What one has the best package? Don’t want to spend a lot, maybe £15 a month. Then once we move I can upgrade to wireless and get an adaptor for the laptop.
    Thanks

geoffj

Three

footflaps

They pretty much all give you the same package, but coverage and capacity vary depending on where you are. Generally the limiting factor on the data rate you get is set by how popular that network is in your vicinity (more so = lower throughput) as you’re all sharing a limited resource. So best ask friends / neighbours which works best for them.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

It’s all down to the coverage as someone said before. It might seem like a good deal in the shop but takes ages to load a page.

5AM
    Free Member

Does your son already have a mobile with a data package?

Depending on the model of phone he has you may be able to use that as a modem for no charge at all. (Only mention it as so many people are unaware of this.)

MartynS

I’ve got an orange for my laptop and I’ve a Three dongle for the works laptop..

The Three is RUBBISH. Crap coverage, keeps dropping out, Slow

The Orange however is very good

Curly68
    Free Member

My son just has a basic pay as you go phone. Will have to look at coverage then and have a word with a few people. I think a neighbour has three for her pc. Good excuse to go around!

MrNutt
    Free Member

Three do an ipad deal which give 10gb pcm for £15, its sim only so you’d have to get your hands on a 3 usb key thing or use a laptop that has a built in sim card slot

Trampus
    Free Member

It isn’t wireless

Why not make it so? £15.00 (ish) one off payment for a usb adapter.

vikingboy
    Free Member

three mifi FTW. Its a wireless 3g hotspot so multiple devices can connect.
    On three I get 3.2mbps, on voda I see circa 1.2mbps…..although im sure this depends where you live.
    The mifi can be unlocked easily – google can help here

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What mobile dongly thing for my son?’ is closed to new replies.