• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What method for cutting up logs?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I have an amount of logs/wood offcuts etc that I want to burn on my log stove this winter. I have a log saw but I am not sure if I can be bothered with all the cutting but buying a chainsaw seems to be an expensive (and potentially dangerous) option. If I cut them by hand, I think I would need to buy a saw horse (too many to try to cut without) and they are about £30 anyway (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004U9KAU2/ref=asc_df_B004U9KAU210337570?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004U9KAU2)

So – what are these like as options?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=719835

or

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=002717

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chainsaw and mtfu.

Seriously, a chainsaw will pay for itself if you have a supply of wood.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They will cut 6 cm logs or 10 cm ones – the battery one is a non starter for me

nothing will cut up logs like a chain saw

IIRC you can get a horse mounted one that shields the saw as well

Basically a chainsaw cuts trees and that is what you need IME

stumpyjon

Nothing with a battery for a starter, if you don’t want a chainsaw consider an Alligaotr or reciprocating saw. As the others have said chainsaw, prefereably petrol or you’ll be there for ever.

donald
    Free Member

Mains powered electric chainsaw is the best tool for your requirements.

KonaTC

Jedi knight lightsabre or a mains powered electric chainsaw 🙂

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I was in a similar position and I bought a reciprocating saw. It was OK, but very slow and really struggled on anything bigger than about 12cm.

Then a bought a Bosch electric chainsaw. It takes about a quarter of the time, will cut up to around 30cm and I’m on the original chain still. I used to go through reciprocating blades like they were going out of fashion and they are not cheap. You still have to be careful with electric saws, but they have good kickback brakes and the chain stops immediately if they kickback or you take your hand of the trigger. Use PPE, be sensible and work at the right height and you’ll be fine.

The things you have linked to above are for occasional light use only – pruning etc. No good for what you want.

oh, and I made a saw horse from some 4×2. It took about half an hour.

andrewh
    Free Member

Nothing with a battery for a starter, if you don’t want a chainsaw consider an Alligaotr or reciprocating saw. As the others have said chainsaw, prefereably petrol or you’ll be there for ever.

This. But a chainsaw will be best by far.
    or a mate and really big saw:

johndoh
    Free Member

Okay thanks for all the replies – I think I shall be buying a chainsaw then…

TooTall
    Free Member

I think I shall be buying a chainsaw then…

and some protective clothing and some training?

qwerty
    Free Member

They split logs with dynamite in that grand designs spin off, worked well.

johndoh
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    I think I shall be buying a chainsaw then…
    and some protective clothing and some training?

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    Nah, it can’t be that dangerous can it?

Ps, see my OP

stumpyjon

James May used shaped charges for cutting wood in Manlab, really neat cut to, bit expensive though.

br
    Free Member

Hard hat with visor and steel toe-capped boots at a minimum.

johndoh
    Free Member

So not sandals and a crop top then?

Mugboo

And beer 🙂

jedi

we split logs with a splitting grenade and slaedgehammer 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

slaedgehammer

is that a sledgehammer for drunks?

jedi

damn my spelling

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What method for cutting up logs?’ is closed to new replies.