Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What marathon saddle?
  • Pippalarge
    Free Member

The problem: soreness in the sit-bone region after 50km+ in the saddle (even with plenty of Assos chammy cream). Doing the Kielder 100 miler in September so need to get it sorted!

Saddles tried: Spesh Alias 143 & Phenom 138, Charge Spoon.

What's the solution? More padding? Gel padding? Better shorts?

FuzzyWuzzy

Better shorts may well help, otherwise you just need to experiment with different saddles (hopefully you have an LBS with demo ones…?).

brant
    Free Member

Do you ride an FS bike?

cp

what shorts do you ride in? different brands and prices make a HUGE difference to my biking comfort!

FWIW I get on very well with the Charge Spoon over long distances.

You may also just need to ride more to toughen up your arse 🙂

willyboy
    Free Member

I've found fizik very good for long(ish) rides.
    I use an aliante on my cross/ road bike and an older pave model on my mtb. I think the gobi is meant to be quite popular as well.
    See you on the start line at kielder!

mrmo
    Free Member

to be fair saddles are too personal to offer a recomendation, I use a SLR.

Try decent shorts and see if that helps.

thomthumb
    Free Member

as above it's very personal. I like one one big nose.

but standing up frequently is the key.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Brant – yep Epic

CP – Doing over 200km a week at the moment – arse doesn't seem to be toughening up – more wearing through…

FuzzyWuzzy – Got a decent pair of Pearl Izumi shorts – thinking of some new ones if anyone has any particular recommendations (non bib).

STATO
    Free Member

I get sit-bone ache on long rides and found it was the extra weight of my overloaded camelbak that was causing it to be so bad. I think im just about used to my weight being sat on my arse all day but start adding on 3 litres of water, tools, jacket etc. and it all adds to the pressure. For my last trip i used a bigger saddle bag, water bottles, frame mounted pump etc. and it did help to aleviate my discomfort slightly.

The best thing ive found tho was a Brooks Swift saddle, sheer comfort for as long as you can keep peddling… as long as you dont get it soaked!

STATO
    Free Member

oh, and assos cream wont stop ache, its just good for numbing you up a little and removing chafe. Assos shorts on the other hand are something else! deffo worth the cash if you want comfort for a long day.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

It's a combination of ache and friction… interesting point about the camelbak.

STATO
    Free Member

and friction..

Putting cream in the right spots?
    Hot weather causing a lot of sweating and washing the cream out? (if so, re-apply mid ride)
    Saddle angle correct? (everyone is different remember!)

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah Assos do non-bib versions and you're unlikely to get much comfier shorts (the base Uno S5's should be fine). They aren't cheap though, you also need to be careful on sizing as they're designed for weenies :p

STATO
    Free Member

I never spotted you said non-bib, sorry. Tho personally for cycling i choose bibs over shorts at every oppertunity, they just seem to work a lot better.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

assos f1 mille. with arione cx with carbon rails, cannondale rush 7hrs in the saddle ,no a*se ache.
    Need i say more.
    Bruce

brant
    Free Member

Brant – yep Epic

FS just encourages you to sit down lots. Stand up more.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Bib shorts will make you more comfortable- they stop the pad moving around and causing the friction that you're experiencing.

I think the Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow is the best saddle you can have for this sort of thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i found the alias not to be a very comfy saddle … despite having correct width – experiance sit bone ache also …

selle italia flites still the comfiest ive found for me but

prologo nago is comfy

The cheapy spesh one that came on my tricross is comfy

my mates massi one on his roadie is comfy (done a power of miles on it )

all the WTBs ive tried have been rank.

Brooks B17 is very comfy – done a fair few miles on a broken in one not even shaped to my arse ….

barca
    Free Member

While I accept that I must have a very bizarre posterior, I've found my saddle nirvana in a completely stripped down SLR – cover and minimal padding removed – right down to the carbon base and no padding in my shorts at all.
    Theoretically they should be agony, in practice they're lovely.

13thfloormonk

I've been running 'race' saddles like those above for years, then recently bought a 'hardcore hardtail' with a WTB Pure V. Not a heavy saddle (240g for the £70 model i think) but a broader base, softer padding and a comfier nose for climbing on. Comfiest saddle i've used in a long while.

Its now on my Duster for the 100k Merida, and will probably stay there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My favorite saddle – you cant buy it … never could ….its completely custom and its wearing out …. i keep it for special occasions now – long rides/races to save it wearing out and to get my arse accustom to something else when it eventually does give way!

timraven

selle italia flite max gets my vote. Had mine 10 yrs, on 4 bikes, never had a problem in that time.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Selle Italia SLR on the MTBs, Flites on the road bike.
    No pain or saddle sores, even after 24hrs.

dhb Knowle shorts are superb. They feel invisible.
    Udderly smooth chamois cream works well for me too.

gnarlynath
    Free Member

Selle Italia – Prolink light gelflow is my current model of choice for 2 mtbs and a road bike.
    I used to use the Flite gel flow but they made it narrower in 2006/7 and it was too thin.
    I use a 155 Alias on my tourer, not the most comfortable and I'll change it to a Prolink light for the next big mission. I have a Fizik Arizone Tr2 on my TT machine and as long as it's nose points down a tad it's fine and dandy.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice – anyone tried a Prologo?

trail_rat
    Free Member

pro logo nago on my race bike atm ….

its nice , not as comfy as pictured above but its comfy enough

tankslapper
    Free Member

Fizik Gobi

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What marathon saddle?’ is closed to new replies.