Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What lights for £50?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Must be suitable for riding offroad and preferably one for the head and one on the bike, though not essential.

I’d also like the moon on a stick, preferably dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with candy. 🙂

(Asking for a friend – have to admit that my working knowledge of lights in that price range is limited)

z1ppy

XM-L LED bike light of some sort would be my choice, the P7 LED is a alternative option (get one from a UK supplier on ebay for a quick delivery).
    The XM-L have a better punch which the P7 lacks but tend to have a better spread.
    Either would be fine for off-road use, though sourcing two for £50 (total?) is stretching it & the cheaper ones tend to be cheap for a reason.

My own personal choice at the moment is Smudge’s XM-L for £67 if he can push his budget a little.

If it need to be £50 max then a couple of the ‘normal’ format torches, one a P7 and one a XM-L with mounts and batteries can be sourced off eBay
    eg: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ebay-cree-xml-20-torch-out-of-the-box-pics-review
    (you’ll pay a premium for a UK supplier or get em cheap from HK but have to wait)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

A couple of these would be fine:
    XML from DealExtreme

The wire on the XML versions is long enough to use on the head with the batttery pack in the camelbak.
    Not fantastic quality but at that price you can afford to replace/upgrade every couple of years as technology moves on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

Having a browse through the lighting threads, I just found this eBay seller recommended (ignore the lumens claim, none will be above 1000):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Fashion-CREE-XML-XM-L-T6-LED-1600-Lm-Bicycle-Light-HeadLamp-HeadLigh-/150698078984?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item23164e3308#ht_5296wt_1185

Same price as DX but delivery within the week, & some-one in the UK to hassle if there issues (I’ve not used him or have anything to do with the seller), search out other UK sellers and see how he compares…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

just put a brand new smudge light on the classifieds mate. have a peek

ivygan
    Free Member

In my opinion, you can strap this Bicycle Lights onto your bike,
    and wear one of these head lamps on your head.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the output of those head torches is crap

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Great light above for head use – for the bars I’d recommend something a little more diffuse.

If you want a wider beam for the bars, this is worth a look:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/p7-water-resistant-ssc-p7-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82734

Got one of those to back up my head mounted narrow beam Ay-ups and it’s great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What lights for £50?’ is closed to new replies.