Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What lights for £150 max (sorry)
  • lunge

Morning all,
    I’m after some lights for a combination of road and off-road riding. I don’t want to spend more than £150 and so far have come up with the following 3:

Lumicycle LED3 in the sale
    Hope Vision 2 from CRC
    Cree 1600 from On-One

Can anyone think of anything better?, and if not, which would you go for?

neninja
    Free Member

Shameless plug but the new line of lights I’m selling are currently on a launch price offer at £130 reduced from £165.

http://www.crgmoto.co.uk/gloworm-x2-led-light-system—version-2-1734-p.asp

More detail will be going on the website today but in short –
    Genuine 1400 lumens from 2 XM-L U2 emitters
    Lighthead under 80g and very compact
    Battery pack using Panasonic cells
    Helmet, bar and headstrap mounts
    Zip up carry case

crazybrab
    Free Member

Go to ebay or somewhere like bestofferbuy – 1000 lumen flashlight for about £15, and helmet mount for ~£5

Total – £20

wwaswas

I can do you a Lupine Wilma for a good price – email in profile.

z1ppy

Bar mounted?
    Neninja’s more powerful twin XML unit, flippin silly amount of light for bugger all money (just a little too heavy for helmet use IMO).

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Inton Twin Cree XML U2 Mountain Bike Light – 2200 lumens. £105.00. Fabulous light, limited clamp even with upspeced £115.00 option……

inton 2200

My mount solution at the end of this thread…….not to much faff for a highly stable/adjustable mount adapted from a cheap hope light clamp

mount solution option….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

At the cheap end of the scale there is this, or similar, which many people find more than adequate (just not STW towers 🙂 ) approx £35

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-94182

lunge

neninja, you may have just got yourself some business.

What kind of warrenty do those things have?

ransos
    Free Member

Smudge light for £67. I’m well impressed with mine.

RustyMac

I have Lumicycle Halogen lamps that with some help from trout and blackcattech i have converted to LED. I have been in contact with Lumicycle a few times for small parts and the guys on the phone have been briliant, for £150 the Lumi LED light is a great deal. With the warantee support from Lumicycle that is where i would put my money if i needed a new light.

Something else to concider although a few pounds more expensive would be the mytinysun lights – a German company manufactuting them available in the uk through this site:-
    http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/MyTinySun-Sport-900X-900-lumens-made-in-Germany-2-years-warranty

You may be able to source one from a German company or a little less, it is a similar size to the Lumi lamp and build quality looks as good too. The only critisism i would have of the mytinysun lamp is that the way the lumi lamp is designed you get some side vision of the light which would be good for on the road where as you don’t get that with the mytinysun.

Smudge at mtbbatteries had a new light coming that looks nice in the pic on his site but as of yet there hasn’t been any info on spec or price but if his £67 light is anything to go by it could be a contender for you too.

neninja
    Free Member

lunge – Member

neninja, you may have just got yourself some business.

What kind of warrenty do those things have?

The new Gloworm X2 Version 2 has a 2 year warranty on everything except the battery pack which is 6 months.

The version 2 is currently in production and should be available to ship later this month.

There’s a load more pictures here – http://www.flickr.com/photos/fasterbydesign/

The beamshots are from the Version 1 which used different optics and T6 emitters. The Version 2 has about 20% more throw and out the front lumens from the more efficient optics and the U2 emitters.

Northwind

Neninja, how do you find it works on the noggin? Always looks a wee bit clunkier and harder to mount…

For myself… I don’t rate the Dealextreme XMLs at all, too focused a beam. The older P7 versions were much better IMO- not close to the same level of brightness but far more usable.

But the best I’ve used is the Magicshine MJ-872… On the bars it’s good, but on the head it’s superb- and far, far better than a pair of XMLs or P7s without being drastically more expensive.

ajantom

For myself… I don’t rate the Dealextreme XMLs at all, too focused a beam. The older P7 versions were much better IMO- not close to the same level of brightness but far more usable.

true, but then add one of these lenses – Wide Angle Lens – and Bob’s yer dads brother.
    Makes it into a truly excellent light.

Northwind

I had one of those too, didn’t like it much- better but the letterbox beam was just weird. Still not a patch on the P7 IMO (I sold my XML but I still use a P7)

A proper widebeam diffuser would be good though- I saw there’s one available but it was quite expensive, which seemed to miss the point

therag
    Free Member

neninja – Member
    Shameless plug but the new line of lights I’m selling are currently on a launch price offer at £130 reduced from £165.
    http://www.crgmoto.co.uk/gloworm-x2-led-light-system—version-2-1734-p.asp

More detail will be going on the website today but in short –
    Genuine 1400 lumens from 2 XM-L U2 emitters
    Lighthead under 80g and very compact
    Battery pack using Panasonic cells
    Helmet, bar and headstrap mounts
    Zip up carry case
    POSTED 12 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

How do these compare to the magic shine 872?
    I was going to buy 1 next week.
    I’ve got 2 of the eBay 1600 lumens £45 from hong kong, but 1 has snapped so looking for something better. Ive recently borrowed a magic shine and was really impressed I think it was around £90

darryl1983
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the dealtime lights. Cost £28 delivered for 1200 lumens. Light last roughly 3 hours at full power. And for the price you could have two bar mounted lights and a helmet mounted light. Would
    probably be overkill, but you’ll also have 3 batteries, so could use two lights and carry a spare battery just incase you find yourself short.

DT78
    Free Member

Just to say I,m running one of neninjas 2200 lumen lights on the bar and a magic shine spot on the helmet. Total cost in the region of £150, mega bright and good for 2.5 hrs on full beam. Prob last longer but don’t ride longer at night. Sometimes I forget I am riding at night. Plan to use the combo for torq 12:12

Northwind

therag – Member

I haven’t seen the new version with the updated XMLs but the old one was impressive… A bit tighter beamed than the 872, but a lot more throw. Now I’ve never ridden with one so I’m not sure how useful that really is- I don’t feel like the 872 lacks range, and I like its wide spread. But some people do say they find the 872 a little too floody for their taste.

An impressive light, anyway.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I run pretty much the same set up as DT78. Neninja’s light is silly bright but wouldn’t want it on my head. Does make a great combo though.

The 2200 one is a lot brighter than the magicshine ones. Was surprised how much of a difference there was but to be fair the price probably reflects the difference pretty well…

neninja
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Neninja, how do you find it works on the noggin? Always looks a wee bit clunkier and harder to mount…

Do you mean the new one or the Inton 2200 lumen light?

The new Gloworm is perfect for helmet mounting as it mounts on the front of the helmet and the light head weighs less than 80g.

The larger Inton Twin U2 light isn’t really suitable for helmet use. The lighthead is a bit heavy which works great at dissipating heat but rules it out as a helmet light.

therag – Member

The Version 2 has more throw and slightly more overall output than the 872.
    The main difference will be heat management as I’ve heard plenty of stories of 872’s and 870’s that can’t be run on full for long before stepping down due to overheating. The Gloworm manages it’s heat incredibly well for it’s size.
    It is a much neater package with a high quality battery pack and a longer warranty.

Northwind

Ah. apologies- I thought the Gloworm is in the same chassis as the Inton. Therag- I might have caused a bit of confusion there, sorry!

jambalaya
    Free Member

+1 for smudge, I’m about to order some, lots of good feedback, great price and mr smudge is super helpful. I looked at Hope and they look really good but £67 vs £400 I’ll give smudge a go first

mtb batteries

M6TTF
    Free Member

Got a gloworm x2 in the post today (cheers Danny) first impressions:

Very compact! Well made and packaged, bright, well it lit up the lounge nicely. It’s my first mtb light so nowt to compare it with but seems good to me. Not sure whether to bar mount or head mount so will probably try both and see which I prefer . Overall – very pleased

Bikerat
    Free Member

+1 or smudge lights, helmet & bar mount, 1000 lumens, rear light for only £67, top quality lights.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What lights for £150 max (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.