Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Those 2200 lumen lights advertised on the right and handle bar mounting problems
  • marionheck
    Free Member

Anyone got one of those lights advertised on the right banner with 2200 lumens from faster by design, I got one, crazy bright and I think really good VFM – only issue I have is the handlebars mount is a bit rubbish. Basically it is an chunky o ring and the underneath of the lamp is hard plastic so doesn’t grip very well on the metal of handlebars and the lamp ends up pointing down on bumpy stuff.

Anyone made / bodged a handlebar mount that keeps it in place? Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

ajantom

Bit of old inner tube wrapped around bar?
    Works for my (admittedly smaller) DX light.

marionheck
    Free Member

Ajantom – I tired a bit of inner tube and it still swivelled.

There are no obvious way sof attaching it with zip ties either. suppose i could try and drill some holes in teh bottom for zip ties.

the problem is the lamp is quite heavy with the weight up high so it really has to be attached tightly.

Anyone else got any bright ideas?

Zukemonster
    Free Member

adds not there at the moment, any chance of a link to the light?

play
    Free Member

I hung the lamp upside down. That worked on the road bike.
    For the mtb, get a Hope bracket from CRC for £7.

z1ppy

There a big old lump of metal aren’t they, my m8 bought the one with the clamp on my advice & it’s solid. You could try asking Neninja if he could supply one, otherwise I’d suggest trying the hope mount I mention at the bottom of this thread (I doubt the Halford one would be sturdy enough).

Though as per above, ppl suggest bar tape will help improve the grip …

z1ppy
    marionheck
    Free Member

Play – good idea with the upside down mounting, will try that – but also the hoep bracket – this one? [/url]
    if yes – how do you attach the lamp to the bracket?

Zukemonster

neninja
    Free Member

Hi
    The O-ring is fine on the road but not really up to the job off road which is why I now offer a solid QR mount option.

I can supply a solid mount or you can use the Hope mount which works really well. I have a Hope mount on my own light (fitted before I offered the option of the solid mount).

The light mount I can supply is this one –
    http://www.magiclight.co.uk/handlebarmount.html

marionheck
    Free Member

Neninja -how did you attach it to the hope mount?

play
    Free Member

Marionheck,

That’s the right bracket. Peel back the rubber on the existing mount and you’ll see a allen screw. Take that out, use the screw to fit it to the Hope mount. The Hope mount lines up really well with the light if you put it in the obvious position. The problem with that is the weight is off center, so it can still tilt fwd if you hit something big. If you put the light on the bracket the other way round there is still plenty of contact area and the light sits nice and centrally. It all makes sense when you get the bracket and take the old one off. It’s not as complicated as i’m making it sound.

marionheck
    Free Member

Play – cheers that is great stuff. will get it sorted.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Thread Hijack – Danny, any more news on the new light?

neninja
    Free Member

Yes, it should be available from the end of March (it’s getting a few minor changes before going into full production – it should have about 15-20% extra output compared to the sample with changes to U2 emitters and new optics).

Genuine 1400 lumens from 2 x XM-L U2 emitters, light head 80g and very compact.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I just use a Hope mount on mine, had no issues with it rotating forwards or backwards, even with a cople of crashes and a bit of jumping thrown in.

Forgot to email you about the bar mount you sent with mine Danny, I think it’s for non-oversize bars as I cant do it up on my OS EA70 bars when the light is near the stem

M6TTF
    Free Member

Cheers for the update, look forward to seeing it

neninja
    Free Member

Steve – your light should have come with a mount like the one on the link I posted above which fit regular and over-size bars. I’ve been supplying the Magiclight mount since 4th Jan for all orders with the optional ‘solid mount’.

I included a different mount loose in the box free with earlier orders as it only fits smaller bars but you should have received the newer mount. Apologies if you received the wrong one.

steve_b77
    Free Member

No worries, I had a spare Hope one anyway.

On another note the lights are awesome, at least 3 hours on full power too – which is nice.

They’ve turned night riding into almost day time riding on descents, with plenty of light all around for nice & fast riding – considerably better than my mates Hope R4’s 😆

ask1974
    Free Member

Genuine 1400 lumens from 2 x XM-L U2 emitters, light head 80g and very compact.

What’s all this then? Sounds interesting and I’m in the market for some lights…

Neninja?

kiwifiz
    Free Member

+1 for the hope bracket….but I’ve modified it to use the supplied heavy mount clip. Unfortunately the supplied heavy mount gives zero adjustability once fixed on the bar, and so I have used the light side part of the “heavy mount” as intended, but took the slide on part of the other side of the mount off and mounted that on the hope part….just a matter of drilling out the top of the hope mount to match the raised rounded projection on the underside of the slide clip (see pictures below AFTER adapting)…..also took off some of the thickness of the round part for a snugger fit into the top of the hope bracket. Found a approx 11mm screw to match the original longer one and now have a very secure adjustable mount with the option to rotate forwards and backwards once hope clip opened, pivot side to side and to clip the light on/off.

Hope that’s helpful…….

[/url]
    IMG_2531 by kiwifiz, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_2533 by kiwifiz, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_2535 by kiwifiz, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_2536 by kiwifiz, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_3436 by kiwifiz, on Flickr[/img]

Battery pack fits snugly under stem….oh yeah, and it’s a stunningly good light as well!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Those 2200 lumen lights advertised on the right and handle bar mounting problems’ is closed to new replies.