Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • What knife?
  • Rich
    Free Member

I too have a Leatherman Micra and think it’s great!
    Even so I have just ordered a Spyderco Honeybee for £8.95, for when I want a really lightweight knife. It only weighs 15 grams (yes I know the Bug is only 12 grams, but this looks a slightly more useable size for the tiny extra weight) 🙂

stavromuller
    Free Member

Gerber Suspension, top bit of kit. I’m never without it, but then I do have some pretty violent fantasies. 😈

CountZero

Used a knife on rides? apart from preparing my picnic I never have nor can I think what you would use one for

Well, seeing as where you ride there’s bugger-all by way of anything like hedges or anything like that, it’s understandable, but as I’ve already said in this thread I look after a section of Sustrans route running along an old railway line, with high hedges and trees all the way along, brambles and rose briars grow up through the hedges and trees, along the branches, then dangle down right in the path riders and walkers use.
    Now, I would guess you’ve never had six feet of six millimetre thick thorny bramble drag itself right across your face, seeing as how you’re mister invincible, but it’s deeply unpleasant and very painful, not to mention carrying the risk of damage to the eyes. That’s why I carry a knife, to cut the damn stuff back. There have been occasions I’ve gone out for a short evening ride in early summer, and spent two hours cutting back thorn branches on a section about a mile and a half long.
    Then done the same the following week.
    I could use secateurs, but they’re heavy and bulky, and a hawksbill blade just slices straight through.
    So just because the only use you have for a knife is spreading butter on your toasted teacake, others of us do have a regular, genuine use that you seem to fail to recognise.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CZ, come on now! You know he’s ALWAYS right. About everything.

Therefore your own experiences are irrelevant.

bencooper
    Free Member

I often use a SOG Powerplier:

It’s one of the few decent-sized multitools that is legal to carry, and the geared pliers are fantastically powerful.

Edukator
    Free Member

A folding Laguiole is legal in you pocket in most countries. In France it’s an “arme de 6e catégorie” which isn’t a weapon unless used as such if you see what I mean.

I also have stainless Opinel which doesn’t rust but stays in the kitchen drawer as it is illegal.

ontor
    Free Member

Get the carbon steel Opinel.
    It locks well with an almost indestructable mechanism.
    It’s carbon steel so it’ll hold a fine edge and the back edge is perfect for drawing against a fire steel.
    It has a wooden handle that is comfy to use
    no serrations, so it’s easy to sharpen etc.
    Good build quality.

I have one that I bought 20 years ago. It has been hiking all round the world with me and never let me down.

brakes
    Free Member

you can get a non-locking Opinel if you’re paranoid about having a locking one

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have to say I wasn’t thinking of pruning stuff with a small folding knife – If I was doing that I would prefer the right tools.

Still would like to know what medical use CFH has for his.

Stoner
    Free Member

sassenachiotomy

ontor
    Free Member

Why would you be paranoid about a locking mechanism?

On the Opinel it’s a collar that you manually slide round the knife so you have to purposefully lock it and no amount of back-pressure will fold it. Best folding knife on the market by a very, very long way.

Stoner
    Free Member

Why would you be paranoid about a locking mechanism?

the legality of one.

brakes
    Free Member

I recently removed a splinter from my foot that had been in there for a week with an Opinel.

EDIT: what Stoner said

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve cut bandages with them. I’ve removed splinters etc from people with them. Ive cut down zipties to hold bones together and I’ve even whittled a splint with them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – there really is no need to be so abusive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ, there really no need to be so argumentative. So constantly “right” about everything.

Hasn’t stopped you, though, has it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

try reading my posts on this thread..

Not argumentative, not “Always right” I did not say anyone else was wrong

You are well out of order.

ontor
    Free Member

the legality of one.

really?!

IIRC it’s the blade length that’s a problem? Or has the law changed?

Curious as I also cary a somewhat larger fixed knife on the longer hiking trips I do. I’d be interested in seeing the chapter and verse if anyone has it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ontor – it is illegal to carry any knife without good cause. there is an exception for small folding knifes – you do not have to show good cause to carry one.

Any locking knife or non folding knife yo need a good reason to have on you

Stoner
    Free Member

ontor:

http://www.goxplore.net/guides/Knife_law_(UK)

as I said earlier, the burden of proof is effectively reversed by the Criminal Justice Act when it comes to knives.

brakes
    Free Member

Possession of Blades/Points

Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 prohibits the possession in a public place of any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed, (including a folding pocket knife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 7.62cm/3 inches) (Archbold 24-125).

Section 139A of the 1988 Act extends the geographical scope of both of the above offences to school premises.

For the purposes of sections 139 and 139A of the Act:

a butterknife, with no cutting edge and no point is a bladed article; (Booker v DPP 169J.P. 368, DC);
    a screwdriver is not a bladed article; (R v Davis [1998] Crim L.R. 564 CA);
    a “lock knife” does not come into the category of “folding pocket knife” because it is not immediately foldable at all times; (R v Deegan [1998] 2 Cr. App. R. 121 CA).

from here

Stoner
    Free Member

try reading my posts on this thread.

people do read your posts TJ, and that’s exactly why you get the responses you do. Either you are being deliberately contrarian or you have some kind of textual autism.

If you have trouble framing your posts with any of the normal contextual phrases indicating some faint hint of humility then can I suggest some kind of mandatory post sig for you. Something like:

Everything Ive said above may sound like an imperative or absolute but actually I just cant be arsed to type “in my experience” or “Ive found that” or, “depending on your circumstances you might find that” etc

ontor
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner
    this bit;
    “A Crown Court case (Harris v DPP), ruled (case law). A lock knife for all legal purposes, is the same as a fixed blade knife. A folding pocket knife must be readily foldable at all times. If it has a mechanism that prevents folding, it’s a lock knife (or for legal purposes, a fixed blade) The Court of Appeal (REGINA – v – DESMOND GARCIA DEEGAN 1998) upheld the Harris ruling stating that “folding was held to mean non-locking”. No leave to appeal was granted.”

Is new, surprising, and slightly saddening to me but despite always living in somewhat rural places, I can understand the issues.

Thanks
    OT

Stoner
    Free Member

I grew up on farms and always carried a lock knife – was always the safer knife to use than a readily folding blade.

I think the interpretation Id use is: dont take a knife into town, and if you have your lock knife on you in the sticks dont have it on you when you expect the fuzz to pay a visit 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Careful, Stoner! He’s hovering over the button…….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – the only post on this thread that is at all contrary. Note the use of “I”

TandemJeremy – Member

Used a knife on rides? apart from preparing my picnic I never have nor can I think what you would use one for

Then CFH and others jump down my throat in a frankly abusive and OTT way. No need at all for the level of unpleasantness from him and others.

Stoner
    Free Member

nor can I think what

oh, you’re pleading lack of imagination are you?

ontor
    Free Member

I grew up on farms and always carried a lock knife – was always the safer knife to use than a readily folding blade.

I think the interpretation Id use is: dont take a knife into town, and if you have your lock knife on you in the sticks dont have it on you when you expect the fuzz to pay a visit

to be fair, this is what I’ve always done as common sense really.

At risk of joining an internet argument, I’ve used mine for all sorts. Not least of which have included; cutting a garrote wire strung across a trail, cutting clothes/bags off people after accidents, cutting and forging a sling for someone on here that broke their shoulder and thumb at the quarry on leith hill..

CountZero

TJ, I wouldn’t use a small folding knife for pruning either, that’s why I use the Tasman, it’s a trawlerman’s knife, with a blade around the same length as a pruning knife:

Not exactly small.
    A Squeak would be almost useless; it’s blade is only around 2″.

twohats
    Free Member

I always have a 3″ lock bladed Swiss army knife in my Camel Bak and its been used many times on rides.
    Cutting bandages, zip ties, cutting an old tube up to repair a big hole in the tire side wall, emergency repair on a hydraulic hose…

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘What knife?’ is closed to new replies.