Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • What is smart-casual?
  • mildred

Going on a course and I've been told to dress smart casual with no jeans.

I've no idea what this is.

the-muffin-man

No jeans – smart then – not smart casual!!!

Smart casual for me =

• Nice shirt
    • Nice jeans
    • Nice shoes (no trainers)

iDave
    Free Member

cue the fashion nazis…

djglover
    Free Member

Smoking jacket, silk lined and moccasins

Olly
    Free Member

tidy pair of jeans (not dirt riding jeans)
    brush off shoes (have one pair that dont have cleats, and 2 that do)
    schexy slim fit shirt, because i can.

no jeans, then:

schexy slim fit shirt
    pinstripe suit trouser type trousers, but cut like jeans, and black suit shoes.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Grey slip ons, pastel t-shirt and a unstructured linen suit.
    If you've got a Daytona that helps too.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Chinos, chords, or smarter – possibly smart black jeans but definitely not blue
    smart open necked shirt or polo but not t-shirt
    decent shoes – not trainers, skates etc

ocrider

Grey slip ons, pastel t-shirt and a unstructured linen suit.
    If you've got a Daytona that helps too.

Don't forget the Jan Hammer soundtrack.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What Mainwaring said – collar, shoes and no jeans.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To me,

Smart casual = Clubbing chav.

8)

MrSmith
    Free Member

it's what posh people wear when not wearing a suit.
    chino's, blue shirt top button undone, brown deck shoes.

if they are really chilling out then cut down chino's their old second eleven rugger shirt and brown deck shoes.

iDave
    Free Member

silk tie as a belt, blue pinstripe trews, brown leather boots, and other things

Olly
    Free Member

italian air force?

gonna blast you out the sky, but look nonchalantly cool at the same time, ehhhhhh, shuduppa ya faaace

jimmy

Smart caz = (suit & tie) – (suit jacket & tie) + (smart jumper maybe)

Olly
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth

What is smart-casual?

An abomination in the business context.

Anyway:

Trousers (not jeans, or at a push non-denim jeans)
    Leather shoes
    Shirt without tie or – rarely – polo shirt

For me, something like: cords in a jean cut, casual shirt (e.g. one with a button down collar), leather shoes, thin sweater.

nickc

Get dressed, look in mirror, if you look like your dad, well done, you're in smart casual…

CaptJon
    Free Member

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Don't let 'the Man' tell you what you can and cannot wear.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And finish it all off with a pair of these…

RustySpanner

It's a dress code for people who think that they are far, far too cool for dress codes. As you can see, it is rigidly policed, for fear that a small amount of self expression may creep in.

In the UK, it's generally worn by golfers, or those that wish they were American. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Get dressed, look in mirror, if you look like your dad, well done, you're in smart casual…

To achieve that, I'd have to ram raid a Rohan shop.

Ti29er
    Free Member

You don't say where the course is with whom.
    This makes a difference.

I once went to similar, so sports jacket / blazer and tie in essesnce. The Guards Officer's Mess had been invited too. For them, casual was black tie.

From that, you're right to ask as it's the most ambigious and misleading dress code and as such it's as useless as saying somethings "nice" – utterly without meaning.

Olly
    Free Member

To achieve that, I'd have to ram raid a Rohan shop.

Tick 😀

meh, if you feel comfortable dressed up, go dressed up, and make everyone feel underdressed.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Smart casual is basically dull, middle of the road sort of stuff. i.e. jeans and a shirt and leather shoes. Alot of people (farmers mainly) seem to go for this look on a saturday night out in any northern market town

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol@thread 🙂

I think the term came in because 'casual' can mean pretty much anything, so they don't want people turning up in chav outfits or dressed as emo kids or something.

If in doubt, work trousers and a shirt. Cannot possibly go wrong with that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its the clarkson look – possibly the worst look possible.

An abomination on the face of the earth using such things as untucked shirts, jeans with brown shoes, "sports jackets" and shirts with collars but no tie.

I suggest the houndstooth myself.

john_drummer
    Free Member

wear a suit & shirt, smart shoes. But forget the tie.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Google images says

and

can you post some pics of yourself in "smart casual" mode?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CASUAL WEAR BY OCCASION:

Let’s separate casual into five degrees! Remember within these categories styles can range from dressy to sloppy! See the table below for examples of specific items of clothing.

The first two categories are acceptable for business and social occasions (office parties, functions at a friends house or a nice restaurant) where image is important.

1. BUSINESS, also EXECUTIVE- or CORPORATE CASUAL: The level beneath the business suit and tie, which can consist of a suit or sport jacket and/or sweater, and an optional tie. This is what you’d wear to a company party (retirement, holiday, etc.). The fabrics may be less dressy, and the tie a knit or novelty print. You may have slightly relaxed the look, but you’re still there for business.

In some cases you may want to wear a suit that’s a step up from business wear like your best Armani suit, French-cuff shirt, and Hermes tie just to show you have a life outside business!!

2. COUNTRY CLUB, or DRESSY, RESORT CASUAL, CASUAL CHIC: Apparel that you’d wear to a private country club for lunch or dinner. Dress trousers, sport shirt, dress shirt or knit polo shirt, a sweater or sport jacket and leather shoes/belt. It’s also appropriate for an off-site seminar, a party at a friend’s home or dinner at a nice restaurant. And yes the elements in your attire may have cost MORE than a good suit!!

Number 3 may be acceptable for certain businesses and some social functions.

3. SPORTY or RUGGED: The outdoor look! Off to the local pub to watch Monday night football with the guys, to a real game, when you’re invited to spend the weekend at one of Ralph Lauren’s homes, or third date out for pizza. Any activity where you might run into someone interesting. It’s more casual, but you still took some time to coordinate colors, and think about what elements you put together.

The following two categories are not acceptable for most businesses, or for any "important" social occasion (i.e. first date) where you’re concerned about your creditability, authority and/or image:

4. SATURDAY CASUAL OR LEISURE: What you wear on weekends, if you had to go out shopping or doing laundry, and there was even a remote chance of human contact.

5. ACTIVE: gear you’d wear to the gym, to play b-ball, washing your car, or gardening, but not stop off at the grocery store on the way home. It’s also what you might wear around the house if you weren’t expecting any visitors.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/cracking_the_dress_code.htm

ourmaninthenorth

Its the clarkson look – possibly the worst look possible.

I recall the last of these threads, TJ, in which you posted a pic of yourself sporting a jacket and a t-shirt. Together.

You see that black pot over there? That's you that is. 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Wear what you like. Be an individual!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OMINT – tee shirt and jacket is not the Clarkson look. Its also far more acceptable than dress shirt and jacket but no tie.

I may be being slightly facetious but the clarkson look of jeans, brown shoes, untucked dress shirt and sports jacket no tie is just awful and not an outfit I would ever wear.

redthunder
    Free Member

String vest
    Old suit jacket
    Old suit trousers
    Daps

nickc

An abomination on the face of the earth

You are the Rev Ian Paisley and I claim my £5

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Better to be the smartest bloke there than the scruffiest.

Maybe take a smartish jacket with you in the car in case you misjudged and everyone else is a lot more dressed up than you?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think it should be casual smart, a pair of trousers nice shirt and a jumper! Or a suit with a tight fitting tea shirt, but dont forget to roll your jacket sleeves up.

miketually
    Free Member

Maybe take a smartish jacket with you in the car in case you misjudged and everyone else is a lot more dressed up than you?

Would the earth end if this were the case?

kimbers

i dont think the alan partridge blazer is available any more but sew this patch on to and sports jacket and you will have instant gravitas

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Authentic-Alan-Partridge-Blazer-Badge_W0QQitemZ260544714133QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DVD_Film_TV_TV_Memorabilia_LE?hash=item3ca9acd595

or just wear what you like and make sure its not too scruffy and dont worry about it

ourmaninthenorth

OMINT – tee shirt and jacket is not the Clarkson look. Its also far more acceptable than dress shirt and jacket but no tie.

Calm down, TJ, was only pulling your leg..! 😀

I'd never wear a t-shirt and jacket. For me, that was a look that lived only in the 80s. I would, however, wear a jacket and tie-less shirt, but only if the shirt had a button down collar (i.e. designed to be worn without a tie). Shirt ought never to be untucked. Jacket and jeans v bad look unless well cut. Brown leather shoes fine with blue denim jeans.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Would the earth end if this were the case?

No, but you might look like a tw@ and be self conscious for the whole day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What is smart-casual?’ is closed to new replies.