Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What is considered the better brake – XT or Zee?
  • DickBarton

My new bike thoughts are growing and I’m now at brakes. I have XT just now and they are superb…however, I’m a feartie and drag the brakes…I think I’ve had a few instances of brake fade. I had Hope 4-hour better and never experienced fade but the XT stop better…much more bite.
    So I’m thinking Zee might be the better option…hopefully similar stopping experience to the XT without the fade? I think I only want to adjust lever position so don’t really need the fancier lever of the XT but if the Zee isn’t going to help then I’ll save the upgrade price and stick with the 2-pot XT.
    I also need to work on my braking but I can’t fix that overnight!

scruff
    Free Member
    Painey
    Free Member

In STW tradition someone will be along in a minute to suggest something totally different altogether, and probably a skills course whilst they’re at it.

swillybey
    Free Member

XT with a larger rotor to help dissipate heat?

DickBarton

Max rotor on the fork is 200 I think…hang on I’m on 180 now so that could also work…ta.

kevin1911

I’m a brake dragger too, and have never had brake fade on the newer models. Not even glazed the pads, which I used to do loads on the previous incarnations.

Are you using the finned pads?

honourablegeorge

Double piston and finned pads on the Zees should help with fade, and a bigger rotor will too – but learning to brake hard when you need to rather than dragging will help a lot more, with fade, and with your riding (speaking as a reformed brake dragger myself)

DickBarton

Yes, finned pads. I’m realising now that I drag the brakes, hadn’t been aware before…so something I’m working on…but isn’t happening quickly…25 years of bad practice to break and relearn!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What is considered the better brake – XT or Zee?’ is closed to new replies.