Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • SLX Brakes on Downhill Bike?
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

Anyone running SLX brakes on their downhill bike? I’ve got a 2nd hand Saracen Myst and it had an Avid Elixir on the rear and an Avid Code on the front. I was going to swap them for a set of Zee brakes but the SLXs are so much cheaper. Is this a sensible value/power decision or should I stumpy up for Zee or leave the Avids? I only weight about 63 kg but will be riding fairly regularly in the Whistler Bike Park. Thoughts?

zoo200
    Free Member

I run slx on 200mm rotors plenty of power and im 100 kgs

cultsdave
    Free Member

They are more powerful than the brakes you have

coogan
    Free Member

I ran the gen 1 Saints on my old Turner 5 Spot at Whislter for a week. No probs at all. They were powerful enough and the SLX brakes I have now are more so. Will be fine.

kudos100
    Free Member

Thoughts?

Jealous of you going to Whistler.

Regarding brakes, I have run old XT’s with 203 rotors and ZEE’s with a 203 and 185. Both were fine in the alps. I’m about 80 kg .

I’ve ridden the newer slx on a mates bike and they are plenty powerful enough for DH with big rotors, but I prefer the feel of the ZEE’s.

Basically either, but not the avids.

Edit: TBH deore would be fine also.

steveh

I run xt’s on my v10, raced and ridden everywhere and no problems.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Awesome, that’s pretty much what I wanted to hear. SLX on CRC are a good chunk cheaper than Zees so that cash can be spent somewhere else.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

SLX on CRC are a good chunk cheaper than Zees

CRC are about 90 quid for the pair. I picked up Zee from Zee Germans for 120….. Just saying!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

CRC are about 90 quid for the pair. I picked up Zee from Zee Germans for 120….. Just saying!

Ooh, will have a look into that. I’m currently in Canada so as long as international postage is available…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

XT 203 for me, not a fan of the saint / zee on off feeling.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stump up for the zee brakes.

I’ve got slx, xt and zee – the zee have loads more modulation and a bit more power.

rascal
    Free Member

2008 XT here – Alps in July….they’ve only ever known UK shores.
    Was thinking ‘I hope they’ll be ok’ and taking plenty of new organic pads – this thread encourages me 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m rubbish, and I found a set of ancient (2001?) deore brakes more than up to the job of seeing me through the week of the MegAvalanche. New deore would be fine, never mind slx or xt.

volatilemike
    Free Member

I bought some deores for my IH sunday which I will be taking to Whistler also. Im probably being a cheapskate but I think they will be good enough. For 65 quid for the set they were a bargain!

rocketman
    Free Member

SLX were the shortest-lived brakes on my big bike. As others have said they are adequately powerful but there’s nothing in reserve which is where Zees come in. Same kind of serial-brake-dragger-friendly feel but when you really need to slow down in a hurry they bite whereas SLXs are spent

scruff
    Free Member

I did have SLX on mine. Set of Zee cam up silly cheap from Germany so I put those on, took some time readjusting as I was way overbraking but glad I made the switch now. Strangely having more brakes there when you need them lets you leave them off more if youre confident but still average.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I did have SLX on mine. Set of Zee cam up silly cheap from Germany so I put those on, took some time readjusting as I was way overbraking but glad I made the switch now. Strangely having more brakes there when you need them lets you leave them off more if youre confident but still average.

Having had a look around I’ve found a set here in Canada for $300 + tax, so about £150 for the set. They’re set up Canadian style but I guess swapping the hoses over shouldn’t be too hard. So I think I’ll plump for those.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Having had a look around I’ve found a set here in Canada for $300 + tax, so about £150 for the set. They’re set up Canadian style but I guess swapping the hoses over shouldn’t be too hard. So I think I’ll plump for those.

Out of interest, where in Canada? TBS?
    I live in North Van and the retail price of Shimano brakes are eye-watering compared to Europe…

jamj1974

scruff – Member

I feel the same!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Out of interest, where in Canada? TBS?

Yeah, tbs. $150 an end.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘SLX Brakes on Downhill Bike?’ is closed to new replies.