Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • What is Britain's best SINGLETRACK descent??
  • DenDennis
    Free Member

Could mean longest, could mean twistiest, flowiest or combination etc etc.

There was a thread on here a while ago about UK's best descent and I think the most popular came out as Walna Scar. Now I wouldnt say that is singletrack (quite wide, rock steps etc)…
    I mean stuff about 2ft wide max that you can pin it down off the brakes most of the way 😛
    something like minton batch in shropshire but better???
    any thoughts??
    many thanks in advance 😀

Cronny
    Free Member

I reckon it's probably that one in Copley Woods near Halifax.

DenDennis
    Free Member

😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The woods behind Nationwide in Swindon, of course.

jedi

every single on that makes me smile 🙂

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Horner woods, Exmoor. No competition.

ton

bowderdale

Cronny
    Free Member

Bowderdale's nice but a bit pedally – it's certainly one of the longest

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

thetford

grumm
    Free Member

Not done it but people rave about Ullock Pike off Skiddaw (cheeky) – is that singletrack?

Xan
    Free Member

Innerleithan off the top of Minch Moore of deliverence on gt black.

andylux
    Free Member

Pinning it off the brakes, Minch Moor descent at Inners me thinks.

ojom
    Free Member

Hmm i can't comment properly as i haven't ridden all of the ones people mention but the lairig ghru up in our fine land is pretty cool.

messiah
    Free Member

Love the one your with.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Last section on skyline for me

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The stuff in Horner Woods is great. I still rate Smith Combe, but there probably is some braking involved. Weacombe is mostly off the brakes.

Cronny
    Free Member

Bikechain – I did Lairig Ghru last week during a trip to the Cairngorms – it was great stuff and so was Craigellachie

ojom
    Free Member

It is a great wee trail isn't it!

Cronny
    Free Member

Scotland and in particular the highlands, has the best riding in the UK and there's no furore about illegal trails and cheekiness – it's all there for the taking.

ojom
    Free Member

Few of us went to the Peak Dist once and couldnt fathom why we had to link trails with roads when there looked to be trails available. It was then that i realised how lucky we are to be able to wander anywhere (within reason) that we like. Ahh, freedom.

bigsi
    Free Member

The Lion Trail but its VERY cheeky, the game keeper carries a shotgun so if you see him apologise and be on your way. 😉

Starts off camber with rooty corners then goes flowey and fast but never more then 2ft wide with 1ft-1.5ft kickers all the way down it plus a nice log roll half way along before heading down through the trees along some twisty singletrack getting steeper as you go.

Always have a grin on my face at the end of it 8)

Xan
    Free Member

Crunny and tbc I was in aviemore last week and did lairig ghru the hike a bike is a killer but your right it increadable. I retract my last comment now haha.

jj55

Sidewinder @ Afan

The end of the Rough Ride in Kington Herefordshire

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

cutgate and off to north america easily

Cronny
    Free Member

Hike-a-bike Xan? We rode the lot 😉

hora
    Free Member

GeeWavetree – Member
    cutgate and off to north america easily

Not the best (as there isnt close forest-action around you but in a close third place for me…

At second. The second half of the red route at Glentress.

In first, MANY Surrey hill trails :mrgreen:

The amount of times in Summer I'd come home with scours/scratches down my forearms from the closeness of the foliage onto the trail. Almost Mint Sauce in magicness..

PJ266
    Free Member

Tony the tiger at Climachx.

lowey

Nan bield to Kentmere is up there.

TomB

For what you describe, Hobcarton end off Grisedale pike puts a grin on your face!

Paceman
    Free Member

Too many to mention on the North and South Downs 😉

Bowderdale is also trully great singletrack and I love the Addams Family sections at Coed-y-Brenin.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

If it's a trail centre then it has to be the the long section of Kirrochtree after the Heart Break Hill climb

nickegg
    Free Member

Doethie Valley in Wales?

Not exactly a non-stop descent (i.e: The odd bit of up) but certainly not heavy on the brakes either.

7km of non-stop proper singletrack in total isolation.

muffs11
    Free Member

The 'World Cup descent' on the Dyfi Enduro ride last sunday

PJ266
    Free Member

He asked for singletrack…

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Great Dunfell (MBR route)comes to mind Just off the side of Crossfell in the Penines,No gates,walkers, just the right degree of gradient and technical going near the top into some great fast,off the brakes if your brave/daft/mad enough!(35mph) flowey singletrack decending towards Blencarn.2,500 feet of uninterupted Nirvana!!….ace.

It does get overgrown with bracken in the late summer, so nows the time to do it while its dry 😉

Nan Bield towards Kentmere 😀

clowner
    Free Member

Golspie gets my vote

molgrips
    Free Member

Impossible to name the best, of course. But the last bit of Cwmcarn is one of my fave man-made, as is the last bit of Brechfa Red.

Natural.. well I couldn't say. Name the best person you know – not possible. I could name the tallest or oldest say, but not best. Some trail I did in the Black Moutains with a mate was great.. as is Doethie Valley.

lowey

Gav, got an MMO for that Cross Fell route matey ?

DenDennis
    Free Member

nice.
    keep em coming guys, I'm liking the sound of a few of these 😛

jacko54321
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear +1 weacombe beats smiths IMO, final Decent Of Cwmcarn is fun,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘What is Britain's best SINGLETRACK descent??’ is closed to new replies.