Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What I found on the trail this morning.
  • ohrats
    Free Member

Ok, so I am just about to descend down the first bit of singletrack of the day- a mile long rooty, rocky, twisty bit of trail gold that is one of my regular riding spots. About halfway down and I’m riding at full tilt and notice what looks like a massive zip-tie lying in the trail 10 feet away. I made a split second decision to attempt to bunny hop this strip of soft plastic embedded in the trail and i slightly catch my back end on this thing and almost have an OTB moment. Under closer inspection I realise this 4 foot wide, 6 inch tall piece of plastic had been installed with gravel/cement and presumably is designed to deter nutters like me riding bikes there. When I tentatively rode the rest of the section I came across another 4 of these devices. Is it just me or is it pretty irresponsible for the council/who ever installed these to have put them in and not put up a notice at the trail entrance? I mean these things could easily cause a serious crash for a rider.
    Anyone else had the misfortune of finding these on their local trails?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

disturbing but they’d make nice little kickers with some effort.

scaredypants

disturbing but they’d make nice little kickers with some effort.

Exactly what I was thinking – they’ll probably even naturally collect debris on the uphill side, if it’s steepish

bigdean

Pics? Round sherwood pines general area they’re (not the council) leaving boards with screws sticking through hidden in top soil. Must be about 2 per month found now.
    Quite a few puncures and one injured horse that i know of so far.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Public / private land?

Signed footpath / bridleway or full on ‘cheeky trial’?

Temperatures are dripping this week. A good whack with a 4lb hammer on a frosty morning will probably see them ending their days

thekettle
    Free Member

Drainage gutter to redirect waterflow from the track? Lots of slate ones here in the Lakes.

maxtorque

Sounds like a good excuse to learn to bunny hop better?? 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Letter to the council about how you couldnt get your wheelchair through ? Round here they seem to be sanitising trails citing wheelchair access as the reason.

tomkerton
    Free Member

My first thought was a drainage gutter too. Pics?

ohrats
    Free Member

I’ll get some pics next time I’m down but no they’re defiantly not drainage gutters. They literally look like a piece of tyre sidewall six inches high across the trail, embedded in gravel, also it’s a fairly malleable material so I presume it’s designed for this purpose.

scotroutes

It’s to deflect water off the track. You should be able to ride over it no problem (that’s why it’s malleable).

P1020651 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

P1020650 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

xcretro
    Free Member

I would think they are designed to stop all the gravel/mud trail surface from washing away with heavy rain or flooding like we recently had.

I would rather jump em and still have a decent trail to ride than it be washed away.

ohrats
    Free Member

Ah, I stand corrected. First time I had seen them 😆

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Were you on a bridleway? I guess those things are chosen to be kind to horses’ feet.

scotroutes

and cyclists.

The problem is often that traditional water bars are simply ridden round by those with no skills – and those with even less consideration – rather defeating their purpose.

For example…

WB1a by ScotRoutes, on Flickr
    WB1d by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

andyrm
    Free Member

Here in Bristol we have barbed wire traps appearing:

Seems like a self-styled trail vigilante is at work in Leigh Woods. A mate stumbled across this at the bottom of an…

Posted by Bristol Trails Group on Sunday, March 23, 2014

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

First time I’ve seen a thread like this that didn’t feature a sex toy!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep compared to the 4-5″ of solid block or sharp slate edge it seems like a tame version, it doesn’t even look like you will rip through a tyre if you hit it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No. Way.

Scot
    Routes

I always thought it was something to do with trout!

boxfish
    Free Member

Here in Bristol we have barbed wire traps appearing:

Stickman’s tactics are evolving…

seosamh77
    Free Member

How the heck do you cope with rocks if that’s a problem? 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What I found on the trail this morning.’ is closed to new replies.