Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • what HDD file recovery software?
  • brakes
    Free Member

can someone recommend some free file recovery software?
    I have a damaged SATA drive which I need to get some data off, but Windows 7 doesn’t recognise it.
    thanks.

tomhughes46

Does it spin up? Can you make a Live CD/USB and try to read it with sort sort of Linux? (Knoppix?)

Try Spinrite which runs from (Free)DOS

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

I used File Scaveneger when I formatted a drive by mistake. (Well, forgot to back up something)

http://download.cnet.com/File-Scavenger-Data-Recovery-Utility/3000-2094_4-10028488.html

brakes
    Free Member

yeah, it spins up, it’s just that I can’t see the main partition
    I’ll try File Scavenger, ta

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Have had a couple of XP drives not show up properly in Windows 7 but fine on another xp machine, maybe give that a try if ure still struggling.

brakes
    Free Member

File Scavenger works but you need to purchase a license to recover files!
    any other software, with free recovery?

JohnnyPanic

Try this.
    Bit clunky and may not get everything but worked for me a couple of times.
    http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1

hopster
    Free Member

Recuva. On my phone so can’t create a link.

dh
    Free Member

Fire up torrent

get this sucker

hirens cd

lots of recovery tools to try.

brakes
    Free Member

PC Inspector doesn’t work
    Recuva doesn’t work
    File Scavenger is the only thing working at the moment, but at £32 for a license it’s a touch expensive

Waderider
    Free Member

Download Ubuntu and burn the image to a CD. If you don’t have an image burning programme on your computer get imgburn here.

At boot hit whatever key your computer bios suggests (often F8) to get boot device options, and select the CD drive that the Ubuntu CD you have created is in.

Once booted, go to Places and mount your hard drive. You can then copy files from your old hard drive to a memory stick. Or burn them to another CD/DVD.

Easy as one-two-three, takes half and hour and zero pounds.

brakes
    Free Member

cd drive is malfunctioning too…
    anyway, Recuva seems to be working now (thanks hopster), just needed a bit more patience(!). I’ve scanned the drive and all my data is there – just hope it can be recovered later on
    they don’t make it easy do they?

brassneck

If all else fails, EBuyer sell data recovery from a 3rd party for around £30 a disk.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I searched round for some free software for ages, and it all seemed like a right faff.

In the end i just paid for FileScavenger and it worked straight away. i’ve used it several tmies since and pretty pleased with it.

I’m always a bit nervous about downloading software from torrent sites. Great way to get your PC infected! The few things i have downloaded i’ve run in a virtual machine just in case. But you can’t do that for file recovery software.

brakes
    Free Member

File Scavenger is the best I’ve found, just not sure I’ll get £30 worth of use out of it.
    Tonight’s attempts will tell whether I need to.

Waderider
    Free Member

If you can’t burn a CD put it on a USB and boot from that.

What you are trying to do costs £0 all day long.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve tried booting from CD, a USB stick, a USB HDD but it won’t – that was the first thing I tried.

johnmichle515
    Free Member

Hi !

I have used a data recovery software last month that is very effective and powerful.It recovers lost data due to damaged,deleted,corrupted,partition,formatted or virus attacked.It is very easy to use and recovers lost data over a single mouse click.You can find it from http://www.recoverlostdata.net

Thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘what HDD file recovery software?’ is closed to new replies.