Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What Hardtail Frame for some Lyrik 1 1/5" 36 160s !
  • RagTi
    Free Member

Well after several months of failed delivery dates, my ambition of a Ragley Troof is now officialy dead :evil:, no way can I wait for a further 7 weeks…. assuming that the latest delivery date will be the final one ?.

Can anyone suggest a hard hitting hardtail that can accomodate my fork spec (that I bought on the back of what the troof specd). This aside a friend has some 36 fox fits with a standard stearer that he is willing to swap if needs be.

I have trialed a 456C “and I like”, but would like something as left wing / exclusive as possible.

Cheers in advance.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Transition Trans AM?

It does not have a 1.5″ headtube but does fit your left field /exclusive criteria.

carbon337
    Free Member

Go to classifieds there is an Orange Sub Zero for £150 (the yellow one) not mine I must say or anything to do with me – Three Fish has one with a 160 fork and its class.

Ignore me just read the 1.5″ bit oops

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    messiah
    Free Member

Buy an mmmbop (if you can find one) to use until the Troofs arrive, then flog the mmmbop for what you paid… seem to hold their price rather well!

wl
    Free Member

Do you want the best frame for the job, or just an attention magnet? And what is a ‘left wing’ frame?

5lab

can you just get a new crown for your existing fork?

there’s not a lot in the wa of hardtails that does 1.5 – in fact I’m not sure i’ve ever come across one. You might be able to find a tapered ht and put one of those funky tapered-1.5 headsets in?

chiefgrooveguru

Do you mean ‘left field’ or are you after a frame which insists that your ownership of it is actually theft?

z1ppy

there’s not a lot in the way of hardtails that does 1.5 – in fact I’m not sure i’ve ever come across one

Errr how abouts all of those cannondale hardtails? Not the option he’s looking for, as they’re all XC stuff.

Ragleys too…ok maybe not the best choice for RagTi

messiah
    Free Member

Sinister Ridge? If Sinister are still on the go?

Custom Curtis? Although the wait will probably be about the sameas for the troof… but it will be custom and niche enough to score points if thats your thing.

z1ppy

lots of info here

duffmiver
    Free Member

My mate has a devinci hucker frame that he’s looking to sell.

1.5″ headtube. rare. hardcore.

graham1975
    Free Member

Dont buy a Ragley mmmbop as messiah said…. My mate had one of them and the seatpost kept falling down! Obviously the frames were made wrong, i think the Ragley Bluepig had the same problem too, this year they cant even get them past QC by what i have heard, so anything with Ragley infront of it dont buy it, because it will probably be utter rubbish, mind you what do you expect for £300!!
    I agree i love the Transitions myself, i have bought a 456C which is ultra light and that would take a 1.5 inch steerer i think? and about the same price as the Troof but the 456C has alot better ride qualities with it being carbon, and its totaly bombproof.

cb

chumba hx1?

graham1975
    Free Member

Dont think the Curtis is 44mm headset!? if i was going to go slightley diffrent, i think id go for the Curtis too, looks stunning built up. 😆

hoochylala
    Free Member

Despite what graham says….. 🙄 I have a brand new 16″ mmmBop sat under the bed ready to be sold (pending liking the full sus frame im demoing on bank holiday monday) if any use – my email is on profile if your interested

Northwind

It’d work in an Mmmbop but in all honesty I think mine’s rotten with my Lyriks in, even when wound down to a sensible length, it just feels so noseheavy and unsubtle. Not slow, I’m not drastically slower on it at innerleithen than I am on my full suss, but it’s not much fun while it was doing it- a very efficient plough.

I’ve got a love hate relationship with the Bop but don’t agree at all with Graham here by the way.

messiah
    Free Member

Curtis did a custom with a full 1.5″ headset a few years ago so know how to do it… but will they do a 30.9 or 31.6 seattube for a dropper post? The only way to find out what they will do is ask.

18bikes will also probably do a custom to suit, as would Hammoon… or get a Nicolai Argon FR… but getting a custom to suit your 1.5″ forks seems daft and it’s probably more sensible to flog/swap the forks and start again.

graham1975
    Free Member

Messiah, you are speaking alot of sence, and i agree maybe it could be the best way, flog the forks then you have a hell of alot more choice.
    I suppose there is one positive about buying a Ragley and thats you can buy a £10 seatpost and it would be a dropper!!!!

stevede
    Free Member

My recommendation would be to swap your forks for the 36’s and get a Bfe,not quite as rare as you want but a great frame and decent seat tube size for a dropper post if you want one. Evil Sovereign also worth a look as is a Dialled Alpine and maybe look at the Chromag range if you want a less common frame. Seems crazy to base a frame choice around your steerer as it restricts your choice massively.

An mmmbop is a great hardtail and you are limited by the size of the headtube. I had an mmmbop and had no complaints with it whatsoever. I now have a ragley ti and again have no complaints, an awesome bike and maybe up for sale soon as I’ve just slipped my disc and bought a yeti 575. Not sure if a chameleon or even cove hand job are 1.5 headtube or not.

richc
    Free Member

TI Alpine looked to be 1.5″ however you might have to wait for a bit ……

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Have to disagree with Graham too. Myself and a friend both run Mmmbops, no problems with the seatpost. He has coil Lyriks on his, Revs on mine and both ride great IMO. The extra weight of the Lyriks wasnt that noticeable to me after a few blasts on his. Its a super stiff frame though, you’ll be feeling it after a long session.

ton

Graham is talking bollox.
    i owned a mm bop and a blue pig……….both were fine and neither suffered from seat slippage, even with 20 stone on board.
    also had a sub zero and a brodie holeshot and a 456, all of which will serve you fine

Elspaniel
    Free Member

mmmBop and Lyriks = fab ride and a big smile.

chakaping
    Free Member

You won’t get a 1.5 fork in the c456 anyway, it has a tapered headtube.

Just tried mine out with Fox 36 this week and I think it goes much better with a Rev anyway.

Graham – try a different seatclamp?

graham1975
    Free Member

chakaping, I prefer the RS forks with hard hitting hardtails, i personnaly think RS are a far superior fork to Fox, So Ragti dont go swapping the RS’s for a fox fork what ever you do.its not the seatpost clamp chakaping…. Its Ragley who didnt pick up on QC with the over sizing of the seattubes, and yep, Ragley now make a 27.3 seatpost to compensate for the messed up Ragley Bluepig frames!! but dont think they have made one to suit the messed up Mmmbop’s seatpost size,I also dont think anyone will be complaining about the 2011 range as i really dont beleive they will ever turn up due to so many cockups in production, I think they may end up getting them through in October and makeing out they are 2012 frames LOL. They were originally due at the end of January, and now had 7 arrival dates, and still not here. Does anyone know what the problems are with them? Heard lots of stuff but not sure if its true.
    Doesnt the Ibis Tranny have a 44mm headset tube? expensive frames but nice and i think it would look rather silly with a 160 fork. 😕

graham1975
    Free Member

ton….. Am i talking bollox??? So as above why have Ragley made a 27.3mm seatpost to compensate the OVERSIZING cockup with the seatube???????????????
    If you want to go on retrobike forum and find brooklander and giantone and ask them about there Ragley seattubes!!!!! Or why dont you ask brant!?

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Maybe a small batch had a seatpost problem but it seems most are fine, maybe it was just the Blue Pigs? Mmmbop takes a standard 31.6, Ive had two different posts in mine with no issues. Normal light pressure on the clamp and its fine.

Shandy
    Free Member

Somebody got taken out of school and didn’t catch up with their spellings.

graham1975
    Free Member

Yeh im not saying everyone, one of my ridding buddies has a Ti and he has no problem, Still not sure why his Ti frame has an alloy shim in the top of the seat tube though? I had a 2010 Bluepig and no problem other than i did not like the bike, but I also know several other people that has had issues with wrong size seat tubes, maybe its just issues with some of the bagain basement frames they have made.

jameso

Genesis Alpitude takes 160mm x 1.5″ – XX44 headtube. 65.5-66 HA at 160.

noodle
    Free Member

Another vote for an Orange Sub Zero. They don’t make them any more but I have a 2007 one with 1.5″ Domains that I ride downhill on and its the stiffest most confidence inspiring hardtail I’ve ever ridden! 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What Hardtail Frame for some Lyrik 1 1/5" 36 160s !’ is closed to new replies.