Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • What happens to all the old full-sussers?
  • hodgynd
    Free Member

2007 Nomad 1..
    Handed to my 14 yr old son ( when he was 13)..the way he rides it both up and down makes me wonder if I was a little too hasty as he now beats me up the climbs and is breathing down my neck on the descents once he builds up his stamina to last all day I will be well screwed ..but he loves it!
    It also means I get to spend a day with him from time to time and have a good old chat about what is going on ..which under normal circumstances ( Ps4 , mates & working in the kitchen at the local hotel ) doesn’t happen as often as I would like.
    Always knew it was money well spent 😀

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Put them up for sale at a ridiculous price, then end up keeping them or giving away because of time wasters and tyre kickers 😆

Similar to cars. When selling your’s is always worth more than anyone elses, when buying everything is a rip off! That’s why there is a healthy trade-in market (cars), you know you are getting tucked up, but you don’t have to deal with the worst kind of British morons.

The amount of bikes you see on ebay up for sale at more than they are currently available for brand new 🙄 Brand new it is then 😆

thepurist

About to dust off my fully mudguarded 07 anthem to ride in the winter slop and grit. (frequently around swinley ;))

stennah
    Free Member

Prettygreenparrot I might be interested in the sub 5 if you want to sell email me at cagliari5@hotmail.co.uk, cheers

RustySpanner

prawny – Member
    If anyone wants to clear any space and give me one of these decent 2000s full sussers Id be willing to take one of your hands
    No honestly it’s fine, I’m just a charitable guy.

Me too.
    Make a kiteless dwarf happy this Christmas.
    🙂

superstu
    Free Member

Occasionally see them for sale but as others have commented some prices, particularly on eBay, are ridiculous.

I built an old FSR (1999) and to be honest it was grim. Old hardtails / rigid I think age ok for certain applications, some older FS you’re paying a premium for a heavy useless bike.

Sure there are better examples out there and I do like retro bikes.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A bit shocked at what people are calling ‘old’!

But apart from that, the retrobike site might be useful to folks with old and loved bikes.

tenfoot

My 98 FSR frame is hanging on the wall in the garage as I like the fact it’s not a diamond frame. If I could get away with it, it would be hanging on the wall in the house somewhere.

Mint 2008 S-Works Carbon Enduro frame and RP23 shock sat in my shed. Doubt I’ll ever do owt with it – maybe hang it on the wall when I get a bigger shed

zippykona

thepurist – Member
    About to dust off my fully mudguarded 07 anthem to ride in the winter slop and grit. (frequently around swinley ;))

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST
    Pictures!
    How long do your bearings last?

mehr
    Free Member

superstu – Member
    Occasionally see them for sale but as others have commented some prices, particularly on eBay, are ridiculous.

Usually the perceived value is way out due to the owners time/money investment in it

I know with my Pitch i’d put it up for £1250+ (Immaculate Fox 36 Van R and DHX RC4, new Zee 1×10, XT 8000’s etc) but would probably be lucky to get £750 or maybe £900+ if I split it

mountainman

I had a Saracen back in 1999 ,it was proper heavy too.
    Orange painted frame ,shock that was a sod to adjust n forks that were HEAVY
    My son rode it for a while around n to work good 12 mile on muddy welsh lanes ,then my youngest stripped it down and the frame went to the scrapper in the sky.

Hindsight should of kept it as museum piece for the future.

My Giant Anthem is a different beast totally now restored my faith in full sus.

crazy-legs

My only MTB now is my 2002 / 2003 Cove Stiffee. It’s worthless, completely obsolete in terms of the parts on it so for that reason it’s simply not worth trying to sell or even give away. I’d rather keep it for the 2 or 3 times a year I actually go MTBing!

You get a funny mix of bikes in the Peak District (my local trails) as well, either seems to be 1, maybe 2 year old bikes or late 90’s / early 00’s MTBs. There’s a guy I’ve seen a couple of times riding round on an old Proflex 957.

welshfarmer

Swapped my 2007 Marin Rift Zone for 50 lb of beef. A mate wanted a bike that he could ride with his boys and wanted a full suss in order to be cool enough to be seen with them 🙂 It was doing nothing here so a fair exchange was no robbery. I even did it up nicely for him. My Grapil is still immaculate and built with high end stuff so sits there as a spare for when mates satay without a bike, or my other full susser is off the road for some reason. Frame is worthless due to known issues with rear triangle snapping (though mine has been modified so will never break!).

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Do they get passed on to casual riders and lie neglected in sheds and garages, wheeled out to “do” Llandegla twice a year?

Guilty as charged m’lud. My 2003 Turner 5 Spot has spent the last 5-6 years in the garage and just gets wheeled out 2-3 times a year round the red at Llandegla. Even if I didn’t do my riding on the road these days I’m not sure I could justify changing it as it still rides so well.

jamesoz

It currently has its original D521 rims with hope hubs and an air shock, this pic is in Tennessee. It was nice to fly without being terrified the baggage handlers would squash it.

[/url]2FC04A1A-DE02-4E4E-98FE-F9868798872A by james orsborn, on Flickr[/img]

mattsccm
    Free Member

My 06 Spec Enduro was retired some years back purely as I went off MTBing. The shock is duff and its not worth buying a new one otherwise I would use it. It is still more capable than me. Anyone got a very cheap shock?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve an old Marin Quake in the shed along with a PRST1 (I’ll never sell or get rid of) and a RM Element frame. Tried selling the RM and the Marin but zero interest so to free up some space I’m seriously considering cutting the Head stock off both of them and mounting them on a nice piece of wood and hanging them on the wall.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I’ve got 1998/9 Saracen Frenzy in the garage as it’s just too short for me. About 3.5″ of travel was not a lot of pay off for lugging the thing around either. I still rode it for years mind.

I get that full sus frame get outdated more than most things what with the constant design developments but some of the bikes being mentioned here sound pretty damn modern to me!

I’ve an old Marin Quake in the shed along with a PRST1 (I’ll never sell or get rid of) and a RM Element frame. Tried selling the RM and the Marin but zero interest so to free up some space I’m seriously considering cutting the Head stock off both of them and mounting them on a nice piece of wood and hanging them on the wall.

I’d be interested in the Marin for sure quite possibly.

walleater

I’ve got a 1998 Super 8 under my bed!

downshep

My 2005 Mount Vision is my newest mtb. It climbs well, is comfortable, well kitted out and fairly light. Looking at the price of new full suss xc bikes, I’ll keep running the Marin until one of us breaks.

zippykona

Pictures would be nice with your post.
    Modern bikes have ended up like sports motorbikes. They are all good and all look the same.

grtdkad

“Whyte PRST4 2004, Original Spec”

I used to love these … and certainly addresses your concerns about generic looks zippyK

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272928198990

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got one of them. A 2005 Turner 6 Pack, Fox 36van, both ends with Avalanche upgrades, Hope wheels and V2 brakes, XTR drive, KS Lev dropper, Easton stem and carbon bars. It’s all in perfect working order.

Can’t imagine I’d be offered much more than £500 as a complete bike, so instead, it’s a back up bike that fits both me and the wife (it’s a medium).

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Looks like I’m putting an add in the classifieds then!

davosaurusrex

Wheeee! Just dragged the old and dusty Turner in from the garage. Got the “where are you going with that” question as I went through the kitchen but after offering it up in the stairwell she wasn’t mad keen but gave permission for it to be installed regardless, bless her. Time to break out the autosol!

davosaurusrex

Which reminds me, what’s the best method of wall hanging a frame that doesn’t look cheap and horrible?

cookeaa

what’s the best method of wall hanging a frame that doesn’t look cheap and horrible?

DezB
    Free Member

what’s the best method of wall hanging a frame that doesn’t look like a beardy hipster’s loft apartment?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just ask “What would Guy Martin do?”.

Kryton57

Cleaning my 2014 Anthem yesterday i noticed that the copter tape on the chainstay bubbling. I thought “i must replace that” but then I thought “whats the point, no one will want this well ridden old school geo 29er in a years time, who cares about some heel rub…”

I’ll hope to sell it cheaply.

mudshark
    Free Member

I switched to mostly road riding 8 years ago and sold my 2003 S-works Enduro and titanium hardtail as figured cash in on them whilst I still can and had 8 bikes at the time taking up too much space. I kept my Soul for the odd outing.

Fast forward to now and I’m keep to mtb more, so I have the Soul but the Enduro was a great bike so wish I’d kept it, thinking about getting an Anthem which I guess will be a bit faster but no more fun.

Old/good bikes deserve to be ridden so get them sold for whatever they can go for!

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘What happens to all the old full-sussers?’ is closed to new replies.