Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • What happens to all the old full-sussers?
  • TwirlipoftheMists

All those early 2000s Stumpjumpers and Coilers and so on. They get old, they become obsolete but where do they actually go? Is every MTBer hoarding a couple in their shed?

Shouldn’t we be knee deep in old but posh bikes by now?

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s two old spesh fsr frames in my garage. A 1997 and a 2005 iirc. Both riding fine before being retired. No value I suppose but can’t just chuck them

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think the XS and S frames gets bought up to be rebuilt as older kids bikes.

I see the odd 10-15 year old bike come up on eBay / Gumtree now and again, they’re usually in great nick because they’ve not turned a wheel in a decade by more than optimistically priced £1000 for a 2004 Stumpjumper “cost £3k new!” – yeah best of luck with that.

the-muffin-man

They end up on eBay for stupid money.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Loads on Pinkbike.
    Saw a Super 8 getting dropped off at the tip on Saturday almost shed a tear for it if it was not for the hernia the guy was getting lifting the frame above waist height to get it in the scrap metal skip thing. Reminded me of how overbuilt and heavy they were, was most likely cracked anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve wondered the same, you don’t even see that many mid or late noughties bikes any more.

Do they get passed on to casual riders and lie neglected in sheds and garages, wheeled out to “do” Llandegla twice a year?

zippykona

There’s a 29 Anthem in the classifieds for £675. I’d buy that before an oldie.

paulhaycraft

Until a couple of years ago my 1997 Marin East Peak was still my only mountain bike. It still works pretty well and I use it pootling around with the kids or sometimes on a commute.

Saccades
    Free Member

Still riding my 08 frame and have a 04 to build up once i get the pace fork serviced.

Just not worth selling an old decent bike for peanuts I suspect when if you have the space it’s a great back up bike.

DezB
    Free Member

1999 RM Instinct is hanging in my brother’s garage.
    2006 Yeti 575 frame hanging in mine…
    and a 2001 Fisher Sugar (still in use)(not by me).

themilo
    Free Member

IME nutters but them. I sold my oohh say 2005 GT XCR for the BIN price on the bay. I was emailing them saying “look the Avids are ok but if I was hurling it down a mountain these days I’d consider upgrading them”. He replies to say “don’t worry I’m only riding it to work down the canal”.

Who buys a 5 inch travel full Susser to ride to work down a canal.

Nutters. That’s who.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I still have my old enduro six from 2003 and was useing it a lot till last year inc bpw but the linkage is very worn now.

So it’s just sat there waiting for some spare time and money to fix it.

With so little value I guess people just keep them

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

more pics required

cokie

Swinley!
    Seems to be two types of riders there;
    1. 2018 Gnarduro riders
    2. 2000+ Mtbs in Retro jerseys and kit.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

^^^^^^^

zippykona

I have just upgraded from a 99 mount vision to a 2007 orange 5.

chakaping
    Free Member

Swinley!
    1. 2018 Gnarduro riders

haha, I should have put “Llandgela or Swinley”.

matt_outandabout

*waves*

Son No. 1

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cheap-orange-five-med26

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZvnNhS]Orange Five for sale[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Son No.3

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21AKPCn]Comrie Croft ride (again!)[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Son No. 2

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21AKPR8]Comrie Croft ride (again!)[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Beagleboy

I’m slowly (it’s a money thing), rebuilding my 2001 Patriot. Love that bike and hope to have it running for the spring.

hooli

If anything like mine, they sit in the garage in a bit of a sorry state.

I paid good money for it so don’t want to give it away but…

I cant really sell if with a clear conscience as it is several years old so could really use the fork and shock looking at as well as a new drive chain and possibly a few bearings/linkages. Any buyer would want it pretty cheap for this reason but refer to my point 1.

mildbore

Got a 2008 Superlight I still use for my local woodlands ride. Forks on the way out and don’t know how I’m going to replace them but I’ll run it till it gets critical. Other old full sussers I’ve sold cheaply, usually to kids

jeff

2003 Ellsworth Joker – sat in my shed…

Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2001 FSR enduro in the loft, a Chumba XCL in the coal shed, a SC nickel in the conservatory and a SC Nomand Mk1 in the shed in frame format.

I should probably got around to selling them when I stopped using them. No I can’t be bothered!

sturdylad
    Free Member

Still got my 05 Stumpy FSR, rode it the other day when my 4 month old Fuel EX was in for new bearings!
    Other than the lack of newness (and shitty plastic pedals), it rode bloody well.
    Shock and fork never been serviced in all that time either and they both still work well enough…
    Been chopper taped from new so it’s in amazing condition really

keefmac

still have a 99/00 orange patriot. tried selling it years ago but no takers. replaced rear shock with an air, new pivot bearings and a powdercoat and its still in use for the wife/daughter when they want to come out. not worth anything now but dont want to bin it, my first decent bike when i bought it.
    it will become man-shed wall art at some point.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve got a Spesh 2004 Enduro in the loft with a cracked chainstay weld. (If anyone has a set of 2003-2005 chainstays going I’d happily take them off your hands for money!)
    Current main bike is a 2008 Giant Trance (guess where all the bits from the Enduro went?).
    Im not much of a bike swapper as you can tell!

jamesoz

cokie – Member
    Swinley!
    1. 2018 Gnarduro riders

I can often be seen rattling around swinley on what’s left of my possibly 1999 RFX or other old bike which will almost certainly have Bombers between the age of 1999 and 2008.

prettygreenparrot

I have a 2003 Orange Sub-5 in my garage, albeit with some shimano brakes, Fifth element coil, and SLX cranks on it. All ready to ride…or sell.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

In the last 2 years I have had the pleasure of performing ground up rebuilds of a 2006 Turner 5 spot, 2005 Kona Coiler (now with modernish 140mm forks and 50mm stem / Renthals it doesn’t feel any where near its age)and a 2004 Specialized FSR XC (which were always a bit crap but it rides better now as a colleagues hack).

I get the urge to buy older frames that I coveted back in the day but there are so many and I need to maintain funds for my main bikes.

I love doing the work on mates and families bikes when they purchase a older bargain.

jimster01

I’ve got a 2004 Giant NRS with a buggered bearing, but intend to bring it out of retirement in the spring after a winter of rigid single-speeding.

spennyy
    Free Member

I’ve got a mid 90’s parkpre team 925 frame in the garage. Keep threatening to build it but in reality I CBA ….open to offers…

stumpy01

My 01 Stumpjumper FSR is hanging up in the garage. I’ve been meaning to give it a tidy up, polish & what not for a while now. It’s on the to-do list & then I will try & sneakily hang it on the study (dumping ground) wall.

My mate has got a GT LTS frame on display in his house & I’m pretty sure his brother has got a Sub5 in the garage still.

I figure my FSR frame is worthless, so I’d rather keep hold of it. Good memories riding that bike.

philjunior
    Free Member

I have a coiler which is kept at my mum and dad’s place now. It was too small for me but I paid very little for it, still good fun chucking it down hills. I’ll reclaim it for the kids if they get into MTBing.

My non hoarder mate sold his late noughties stumpjumper when he got a newer bike last year I think…

philjunior
    Free Member

Oh yeah and I keep meaning to sell my old I drive (cracked rear triangle) frame and shock on ebay. It’s sat in my parents garage.

scruff
    Free Member

I chucked my late 90’s very expensive boutique Foes in the recycling skip cuz it was utter rubbish that didn’t deserve to hang on a wall.

emac65
    Free Member

Got a few frames that are sat in the garage gathering dust- 2004 Spesh Enduro, 2004 NRS team edition, 2007 Trance & a 2002 Kona King/Leroi that’s cracked. Loved this frame & just can’t dump it, even though it’s fecked.

All well used & CBA to sell them as they’re worth nothing..

Got a few old h/tails doing exactly the same too

binners

Isn’t it just the same as what happens to 98% of new full-suss (or hardtail, for that matter) mountain bikes?

They just sit in a shed or garage, gathering dust?

prawny

If anyone wants to clear any space and give me one of these decent 2000s full sussers Id be willing to take one of your hands

No honestly it’s fine, I’m just a charitable guy.

Leku
    Free Member

Mine’s (Yeti 5) in the attic waiting for my son to grow a bit more.

He’s rather excited about it.

davosaurusrex

I have an old LTS frame in the garage, was supposed to send it to someone on here but was too idle to sort a box. If whoever it was is reading this and still wants it let me know, promise I’ll send it this time!

Also have my 97 Turner XCE with the down tube and seat tube cut as I used the Turner trade in program against a 2005 5 Spot. This thread has inspired me to make a cosmetic repair and then hang it on the wall in our loft conversion stairwell. The missus will go mental when she sees it but I’m going to mount it too high for her to reach it, megachortz!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘What happens to all the old full-sussers?’ is closed to new replies.