Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What forks for a 2008 Cotic soul?
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

Just got my nice new (to me) Soul frame from a lovely guy off here.

the current frame takes 140mm forks, but am I right in thinking the 2008 was only 130mm?

I'm trying to decide on forks for the frame, will it be bad if I put 140mm forks on it? I know geometry will change, but will I be in danger of breaking the frame?

I was thinking of Vanillas or maybe a Talas would be even better if I could find a cheap one, but should I consider anything else? Current models all seem to be too long travel for this frame though.

Thanks

Vortexracing

Pikes on mine, run at 125mm ish. 2007 model

140mm on the odd occasion

Zukemonster
    Free Member

mmm looks nice 😉 Love that mustard? colour, I'm a little sad mine is black, but actually its looking rather nice really.

I'm itching for longer travel, but don't want to break anything

bol

I've got the same issue with my Soda, which has the same geometry. I'm running rev u-turns on it at the moment (not going above 130), which are great, although I wish they'd wind down below 120. That said it is very nice at 120 and climbs well. I wish you could alter the range of travel adjustment.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Yes thats what I was thinking. If I went for recent (ish) talas forks they are 140-120-100 which means I would be wasting the longest setting and 20mm of travel.

bol

There's a good deal on dt Swiss 130s on CRC, but they're only 130 or locked down to 100. Bling though.

mboy
    Free Member

What forks for a 2008 Soul?

ANYTHING with between 100 and 130mm of travel, as that what they were designed to run!

Personal preference as to what you choose… 😉

Though personally, I'd go for some Rockshox Revelations myself.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Ah thanks mboy, that was the answer to the question I was looking for. So it is designed for up to 130mm. Thanks

Thats a good find on the DT swiss forks, I don't know many people running them, is that and expense thing, or are there other problems with them?

These are looking like a really good choice for me at the moment though … hmm

bol

Yep, they're the ones. I'm tempted too, but couldn't find anyone on here who could share a first hand experience of them. The other thing that nags me is how sweet it handles at 120, which I'd miss.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Can you use launch control to set them to 120 (ish) or doesn't it work like that?

bol

I don't think so, but that was what I wanted to find out.

cy

What they've all said, but really, don't run forks longer than 130mm. The head tube/down tube junction isn't designed for anything more. The 2010 frames are considerably beefed up in this area for good reason.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Thanks for confirming that Cy,

loving the look of my new soul, can't wait to get it together to start riding on it.

i've been giving it a lot of thought, and i think mboys suggestion is on the money, RS revelations with Uturn, run at 120, dial out to 130 if needed and down to 100 for the hills.

now I just need to find some in my (diminishing) budget.

ourmaninthenorth

I put some rigid 440mm forks on my (2005 model) Soul. It handles superbly.

I know this won't help, but neither do the noodly Marz MXs I have on there the rest of the time.

Northwind

Yup, the 100-130mm Revelations are pretty much a perfect match… Light-ish, strong-ish, and there's something really satisfying about a u-turn that does exactly the range the frame's designed for.

I did run mine with 140mm for a while and it didn't snap, but then I'm a 10 stone mincer. In the end I concluded that if I ever did ride hard enough to justify the extra fork, I'd probably break it so went back to 130mm, which it does very well indeed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What forks for a 2008 Cotic soul?’ is closed to new replies.