Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What fork for 456?
  • freddiest

Got a steel 456 frame on the way to hang all the spare parts from the shed on. Looking forward to getting a hardtail again after a few years on full suss but unsure what size fork to go for. I originally thought 140mm (revelation or similar) but not sure if I would be better off with a 120mm reba with 20mm axle.

I have a zesty too so it won’t be my only bike but the plan is to use the 456 for less rocky or shorter rides. Probably quite a few trail centres in the winter too. Don’t want it too xc but not too heavy either. Would like it to complement the zesty rather than have two bikes to do the same job. What are your experiences with this frame and what did/do you prefer?

Thanks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I would be better off with a 120mm reba with 20mm axle.

Ideal fork by the sounds of it.

br
    Free Member

I ran mine with that fork, and while fine it was far better with the Thor (140mm) that replaced it.

Northwind

140mm is a sensible default option for a standard 456. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to try it with your Zesty’s forks first to get an idea of how it feels.

Mine runs 120mm most of the time but I have a slackener headset in it- before I fitted that it was usually at 140m. Course, Davidtaylforth will think that ruined it 😉

FOG

I have used a 140 rev fork on mine but I think it makes the bike a little wandery on climbs. At the moment it is in winter incarnation with carbon rigid forks which feel fine for geometry so I think the 120 option would probably be best. In fact I will probably put a spacer in mine when I put the revs back on.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mine runs 120mm most of the time but I have a slackener headset in it- before I fitted that it was usually at 140m. Course, Davidtaylforth will think that ruined it

What you on about?!?!? I tried my hardest and came to a compromise “120mm rebas sound ideal”

The lesser the fork travel, the lesser it will feel/ride/you’llrideit like your full sus I reckon.

Northwind

davidtaylforth – Member

What you on about?!?!?

Ta dah!

davidtaylforth – Member

Running a hardtail with a 140mm fork pretty much ruins it as a bike that you can ride properly.

HTH

SOAP
    Free Member

I had 140mm Talas on mine

parling
    Free Member

Ive slapped a 150mm sektor 20mm bolt through, mines a summer season but most fun ive had downhill

oxnop
    Free Member

The mrs runs her’s with 120mm black box maxle rebas.

Not too steep or slack – she ran some talas previously on it but always at 120mm so plumped for the rebas for better damping and to save a shed load of weight.

Ive slapped a 150mm sektor 20mm bolt through, mines a summer season but most fun ive had downhill

BB not too high? Never mind slackorama!

alexpalacefan

TALAS FTW.

APF

parling
    Free Member

oh shes slack, I definatly notice that on steep uphills never notice bb been too high there designed for up to 160. never rode anything more stable down hill though

forge197
    Free Member

150mm sektor on c456 here, felt fine on its inaugural ride, more riding this weekend to get used to it

oxnop
    Free Member

oh shes slack, I definatly notice that on steep uphills never notice bb been too high there designed for up to 160. never rode anything more stable down hill though

I knew she would be 🙂

The summer season was designed to be slack with 100mm forks, the geometry is different to 456 or c456.

I’ve rode a ss with 140’s and that was very stable DH! Can’t imagine HA with 160’s, maybe 63 deg static?

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rev on mine and Its much better than the horrendous Marzocchi 44 that was on there before . Pretty much the perfect fork for the frame.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I had a 140 Float on my SS which was awesome. Swapped the frame for an MmmBop which made for a slightly better climber, but not too much difference for the descents. These didn’t have travel adjust either and not much of a problem.

Seems like 140 is the one to go for. And if you are serious about your climbing, get travel adjust.

nick1962
    Free Member

Had an adjustable 160mm but rarely wound it down.
    Got a fixed travel coil Sektor 150mm now ,fine for me.

freddiest

Thanks for your replies.
    I will keep a look out for a 140 then. My front hub is 20mm so it’ll probably be a rev or similar. If nothing comes up, I might try the fork off the zesty. Anyone know how long I would need the steerer tube on a 16″ 456 (not received the frame yet so can’t measure)?

freddiest

I’d like to avoid travel adjust if I can. I find it’s one more thing to mess around with on a ride. A sektor in 140 or 150 might be an option if I can get one at a good price tho. Might not cost much more than a used rev.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What fork for 456?’ is closed to new replies.