Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What flat pedals to try after Nukeproof Electrons?
  • Leku
    Free Member

Just tried to replace some of the pins on my Electrons and as the body is plastic the heads are just rotating and I can’t get them out.

Saints look good at £31 from CRC but are quite heavy (500g) compared to the Electrons (340g).

Anything good, sub £50ish and lightish?

NormalMan

Another pair of electrons?

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Superstar flats work for me

mcnultycop

Exotics are usually cheaper than Superstar but are the same thing. Faultless on both my bikes.

northernmatt

Saints?

Leku
    Free Member

Superstar Ultra Mag Pedals are £40 & 330g. Any good?

Stevelol
    Free Member

Saints?

Well, yes?

Do some people seriously reply to threads after just reading the title?

deviant
    Free Member

The Saints are good…if your bike is already burly the 500g wont matter, if your bike is a light weight carbon item then i can see your point re. weight….i also have Electrons, they’re the best flats i’ve used, genuinely gobsmacked as to how grippy the plastic is…not pleased to hear that changing the pins might be a pain, i did think this and the first thing i did on buying them was to take the pins out and dab a bit of grease on them before putting them back in, i hope it helps when the time comes.

I loved Kona Wah-Wahs too but i cant find them anywhere currently and people want silly money for them second hand on eBay.

I’ve also used the Wellgo V8 copies, they were pretty good but the platform isnt very big.

Northwind

Saint is fairly heavy, thick, and there’s been quite a few reports of poor reliability. Wouldn’t make my list.

Some manner of alu or mag nano- the one with 3 holes in is lighter and functionally much the same as the one with 2. Mag ones drop pins a bit easily but are lighter.

northernmatt

Do some people seriously reply to threads after just reading the title?

Yes I do 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

Leku – Member

Superstar Ultra Mag Pedals are £40 & 330g. Any good?

I’m guessing they are magnesium. If so I’d avoid them. I don’t think magnesium is up to the task for mtb pedals. Too brittle.

digga
    Free Member

On a very unscientific test – three different bikes, with three sets of pedals – I reckon the bearings on Superstar flats outlast those on DMR Vaults. Now admittedly, the Vaults are a bit lighter and certainly grippier, but I think the Superstar flats are pretty good VFM.

wl
    Free Member

+1 Superstar Ultra Mags currently at £40. Used these for years and they’re surprisingly robust for magnesium – way better than mag Welgos. Weigh nowt and great bearings.

honourablegeorge

digga – Member
    On a very unscientific test – three different bikes, with three sets of pedals – I reckon the bearings on Superstar flats outlast those on DMR Vaults. Now admittedly, the Vaults are a bit lighter and certainly grippier, but I think the Superstar flats are pretty good VFM.

Similarly unscientific testing on my bikes has given the opposite result. I’d say there’s nothing between them, bearing wise. Vault feel and shape miles better though, your foot sinks into them. Lovely.

Leku
    Free Member

They are for my Yeti 5 so weight is a bit of an issue (but not major) . I’m quite light on kit and rarely break stuff.

At £70 Vaults are too expensive.

Currently tempted with the Ultra Mags.

wl
    Free Member

Leku – Ultra Mags have been discontinued – last ones left right now, only in white, so don’t leave it too late. I know because I ordered a spare set yesterday. They’re a great pedal at full price, at £40 they’re stunning, especially if you’re light on kit.

kayak23

Saint is fairly heavy, thick, and there’s been quite a few reports of poor reliability.

This.

I’ve used Superstar Nano flats for years and they’ve been brilliant.
    I’ve recently bought a set of the new Superstar plastic Nanos.
    Very light, only £25, not quite so grippy as the metal ones but grippy enough.
    Impressed.

Leku
    Free Member

Cheers all. Ultra Mags ordered.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Wellgo MG-1’s are worth a look if you can still get ’em

chakaping
    Free Member

I loved Kona Wah-Wahs too but i cant find them anywhere currently and people want silly money for them second hand on eBay.

They’re the same as Superstar Nanos / whatever Exotic call them, aren’t they?

thursdayshirts
    Free Member

Ooh, I’dve said saints, i used a lot of the above plus penthouse flats and the saints have been the best for me. they’ve got a good convcave design and can take a whack as well. not really that thick either, plus you get the little spacers on the pins so you can fine tune your grip. Reliability wise , i’ve got three pairs on different bikes and they’ve all been fine one pair is nearly two years old. thy are essentially cup and cone type bearings so if they get sloppy they just need a wee adjustment, pump the boddy full of grease then screw it back on. job done.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Be careful with the mags if you’re in the habit of catching your pedals.

I ended up with a set and used to take chunks of metal and pins out of them regularly, added weigh saving I guess but not what I’d look for in a pedal.

wl
    Free Member

Had two sets of Wellgo MG 1s and each set lasted a handful of rides before the pins smashed out, taking the threads with them. Switched to Ultra Mags years ago and no such problems.

digga
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

digga – Member

Similarly unscientific testing on my bikes has given the opposite result. I’d say there’s nothing between them, bearing wise. Vault feel and shape miles better though, your foot sinks into them. Lovely.[/quote] Nothing like a bit of cod science to cloud an issue. :E

In fairness to the Vaults, they did spend the winter on the go-to, beater hardtail, so they bore the brunt of the wet, Cannock Chase grinding paste. they then got swapped onto the AM bike, which had been running Superstar Nanos for ages.

The Superstar Ultra mag pedals on the DH bike get far bigger hits, but a lot less use.

As I said, totally unscientific. And anyway, I’ve had new bearings in the Vaults and they’re nearly back to new and still running well enough.

FOG

Another vote for the Exotic nano equivalent. A mate and I have a pair each that we have been whacking the life out of for two yearsish and they are still fine.

jonnym92

My saints have been awesome, got them cheap in the sale about £30 I think.

Bombproof, I like to wack my pedals I will take the strength card at the expense of a bit more weight. They have taken a fair share of hits and come out unphased.

HindlePie
    Free Member

^^^^
    What digga sez.

I’ve just gone from Superstar Nanos (and also have the mag ultralight) to a set of the DMR Vaults. The level of grip improvement is certainly noticeable. This is after trying the Hope f20 and selling pretty quickly.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

+1 for Vaults even though they are over your budget I’d say it’s worth it. I went from an old set of V8s which were good to the Vaults and the difference for me was massive as they are grippier have the nice concave middle for your foot to sit in and the lower profile helps to reduce pedal strikes.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

I use the Exotic’s on both my bikes, but I did see these which seem like a bargain.

El Guapo Pedal

Anyone tried them?

Northwind

I do like the shape of the vaults- I’ve not got big enough feet to get the full benefit I think but even for normal feet it’s still nicer than the nanos I think.

(annoyingly the magnesium vault has a different shaped platform)

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I wish there were some cheaper pedals with really big platforms, the only ones I know of are Vaults and Penthouse flats and they more than put a dent in my wallet!

darrenspink
    Free Member

OP has ordered pedals…..but for the sake of conversation im happy with my nukeprooof neutrons.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What flat pedals to try after Nukeproof Electrons?’ is closed to new replies.