Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Commute killing me…do I just need to MTFU or admit defeat..
  • njee20
    Free Member

Mmmm well, sort of. You’ll be doing 15mph on the steeper climbs granted, but you’ll be slower on the flats/small climbs. I’m not convinced it would be quicker. Guess the pertinent question is how many of the OPs climbs have him below 15mph.

Will an electric bike do a 30 mile round trip too? Isn’t that starting to get to their limits?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve not read the other posts but here’s my experience. I do a 20 mile each way commute with pretty much the same amount of climbing as the OP. I’ve been doing it since 2006.

I do at least 3 days a week but 4 or 5 in the brighter months of the year – riding 5 days a week in winter is hard going. I love it though and hate driving to work. I also ride at the weekend as I guess I’m used to the workload.

But when I go on holiday I’m always glad of the rest.

I would advise you to do Monday/Wednesday/Friday at the moment if you’re finding it hard.

It does get a lot easier but you should break the ride up into sections so you’re always achieving something. I used to do this on a loooong hill on the way home, ‘right thats that bit done’, next bit done, and so on. Fly up the hill now though.

Although as you’ve only done it twice you do need to also mtfu.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Maybe EU restricted but

Max range 125 miles (typo?)
    Speed up to 28mph

ymmv (ahoy!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

It’s us actually, mainland Europe has some mental e-bikes!

thomthumb
    Free Member

if I was commuting 50 miles there and back

yeah but 30…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I did that distance and a bit more as a commute a while back, it was extremely hard, grantes, but as previously mentioned the health and gluttony benefits will be totally worth it.

My tip is, make jolly sure you’re starting off with a warm-up period. If you blast off the line you’ll get very sore legs and won’t be able to achieve your potential.

Otherwise I agree with the other advice, set the bike up right, pump up those tyres (90% max psi usually works well) get some panniers (as small as poss for aero (actually I usually just use one on the traffic side) and generally make every possible attempt to maximise your efficiency). Lastly, EAT (correctly)

And,yes, build up to it, listen to your body. Have rest days, certainly while you adjust to the ride.

Stick it out, and may the wind always be at your back 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Stick it out, and may the wind always be at your back

“Occasionally” would be good enough for me.

cchris2lou

Do you go up Pollhill?
    Could you not take train somewhere closer?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Stick it out, and may the wind at your back always be yours…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try a full week of the train one week and see if it is preferable.

I have commuted to London for a large proportion of my working life and found the time I used my folding bike to break up the journey the best bit, you stay much more refreshed.

If you are going to commit to it then I would look at keeping as much clothing and kit at work as possible so as not to carry it on the bike and then invest a lot in a high-end lightweight bike to make the journey more feasible.

When I started using folding bikes I looked at my train fare savings (which were basically the drop in the tube fares for me, so less than you are going to save) and then budgeted 3 years savings on the bike and waterproofs I would need. I wasn’t looking at the bike as a route to a saving but as a route to make the journey more palatable.

For you that is a lot of dosh, and even one years will get you a decent bike. Just don’t skimp on it and use some ‘beater’ to try and get by, make sure you get something you enjoy, and look forward to, riding.

If you have tube at the other end and getting the bike on the train is feasible (probably not at that time) then look at the normal Birdy’s or the fast Dahon speed bike.

ottocat
    Free Member

I spent years riding from East Grinstead to london every day we had quite a little group going, we would ride in then train it home in the guards van after work.. Then the railways decided bikes where a menace and changed the nice slam doors for shitty sliding doors. Now I ride in all the way on Monday as I work late and can get the train back, and during the week I take a folder and get off half way and ride about 17 miles into work .

have you thought of that getting a folder.. Riding in an d training home something with larger wheels than a bro piton there are some decent bikes about ?

edhornby

Do mon wed Fri at first

Stash clothes and kit on non-riding days

Wear cycling clothes and shower at work (there will be one somewhere or stand up wash in disabled toilet with flannel and microfibre towel taken in on a Tuesday)

Keep on doing it and enjoy, it’s not a race its transport 🙂

hh45
    Free Member

I haven’t seen your age but if 40 years plus you may be excused s few days. Whatever your age however, listen to your body, colds, mouth ulcers etc all mean you are run down so take a break until better. you must enjoy it or its a waste of time and will become a hated chore. I would also worry about becoming a diesel engine but maybe that doesn’t bother you.

Bregante

seems to always have a headwind.

Can’t you switch to nights so that you can always have a tailwind?

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m leaving the house at 7am and getting back at 8pm

I guess you don’t have kids then…

philjunior
    Free Member

If you can find something to enjoy about the ride, do it. It does sound like quite a long day though, I guess due to having the train ride also (would taking the train all the way really cut much off your day?)

I’d say you’re much better riding out in the suburbs as central London can be fun but is pretty frustrating at times.

I went to a bigger commute and I love it (11 miles each way), guilt free riding every week day, although I was pretty tired during the week at first. I think it took me 6 months to a year to really get used to it, but I can’t imagine not doing it now. I’m over 10kg lighter and a lot faster, and I get to stuff my face a fair bit. I do remember how daunting every incline was at first, but the fact they aren’t now (at least unless there’s a particularly nasty headwind) tells you everything you need to know.

Don’t bother with an e-bike, it’ll be a pain (battery and motor = 2 more things to go wrong), and you’ll probably lose more time on bits >15mph than you’ll gain up big hills (especially once you’ve started to get the benefit of all the miles) maybe consider a cheaper second road bike or even a fast folding bike if it’s too much of a risk to leave your current road bike at the station. You’ll want mudguards and maybe a rack on it anyway.

So yeah, MTFU, eat plenty and take it easy while your body gets used to it. Listen to your body (if you’re tired ride slow). You’ll hate it some winter days when it’s pelting rain in a massive headwind, but it’ll be worth it when you get a random windless crisp day in the middle of winter or a nice summer evening ride home, random wildlife spotting etc. You might even find some alternative/more scenic routes home.

Good luck.

TiRed

Eat more, especially something two hours before the ride home. Stick with it. The improvements in fitness during the first month will never again be surpassed in your entire cycling career.

It will get easier and you will get fitter. But the first few weeks are hard.

My 12.5mile commute means awake at 04:30 out the door at 05:00, leave work at 18:45 (if I’m not late) and home at 19:45. Also includes nights where you can swap those AM & PM around.

What do you do in your spare time, sleep?

ibnchris

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Off to start day three now 🙂 and yup it does include polhill and riverhill. Am sure I’ll relish them one day!

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Here’s my tip, don’t think it’s been covered above:
    If the commute is the maximum distance you are riding, things just won’t get a lot better. You’ll wear yourself out. Start with a few days a week but do some longer/ harder rides too, so that you’ll get stronger and filter on the bike and can take it easier on the commute. You could even add some intervals to your commute. That’s been my experience of similar length commutes over the last 17 years or so and it makes a big difference for me.

hammy7272
    Free Member

When I first starting communting it was a big effort just to get to work. Now I can enjoy a recovery ride into work if my legs are a bit heavy or blast it if I’m feelng good. This is a very nice feeling. Stick at it, it will click.

noltae
    Free Member

MTFU – is the best approach – but from my perspective that would involve changing your circumstances which is often more gruelling than early morning hill climbs – f@#k commuting that far – move or change jobs – time waits for nobody ….

billyboy
    Free Member

I did Leigh (Tonbridge) to Chislehurst for five or so years on a mountain bike with mountain bike tyres when I was in my early 40s. I found that doing it every other day was sustainable, but everyday was not so good. I also found that fuelling up before you set off home after my 8 hour shift was advisable.
    I’ve come to reckon that 10 (maybe 15!!!!?) miles each way, everyday is doable, but 20 miles each way on an everyday basis is not so comfortable, and your resistance to colds etc decreases.
    But we are all different……………….

Keep doing it in some form though……….it’s good for the soul.

dazh

I’ve just started a 23 mile each way commute. For me the riding is the easier bit, getting up in the morning is the hardest part, and I haven’t yet had to start in the rain/dark. It’s really a question of routine I think. Have everything ready to go in the morning so you can be out as quick as possible, and have a strict rule that the weather will not deter you. I constantly remind myself that it’s cheaper than the train, and quicker than the car. Also check and service the bike regularly so you don’t get all dressed only to discover a problem just as you’re about to leave (spare bike is a good idea for when it does happen). And eat LOTS during the day (your work colleagues will envy you stuffing your face all day with cakes etc).

lemonysam
    Free Member

a strict rule that the weather will not deter you

Personally I’d say that this is one thing that’s liable to make you hate your commute. Riding in in the snow and ice or in torrential rain and then getting to the end of the day, dragging on your damp, cold kit and setting out again ins pretty much guaranteed to make it a misery.

ibnchris

A few of you have commented on the bike of choice…I don’t use my road bike because I’m worried it’ll get knicked or some scrote will damage it. Am I being overly paranoid? At the moment the bike I am using is an old swift with really crap heavy wheels. I have nice light wheels but again worried about the thieving…what do other folk do?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve got to say that there seems to be a serious number of very fit people on this forum. The number of MTFUs is awe inspiring. All the people saying to build up to it and it’ll be fine.

I have a pissy little 14 mile flat round trip and cannot do more than 3 or 4 days a week without getting completely wasted and run down. I’ve been doing that commute for around 8 years, so building up to it isn’t the issue. Basically I’m just not capable of doing more during the week. (and I’m reasonably fit (for a mountain biker))

I’m pretty much in awe of all these people doing 20 odd mile round trips with serious hills 3+ times a week. There’s no way I could do that, even with a build up.

So, OP, by all means build up to it and see what you can do. But unless you’re quite a machine, I wouldn’t be planning to do 3 or 4 days a week every week.

To the MTFUers, how do you do it? Every few months I have a good week and do 5 commutes and it invariably leaves me gubbed the week after.

mudshark
    Free Member

I had a 25 mile round trip from Chiswick (London) to Sutton, pretty flat, so an easy ride, but heavy traffic at times. Most weeks I did it every day as it wasn’t that tough and was quicker than driving but there were times when I couldn’t face it so drove. This worked for me as I never hated it when I did ride and I got pretty fit too – food bills went up though 🙂

dunmail
    Free Member

I’m used to physical exercise – I used to bike 14 miles to work labouring on a building site, then bike home, then go training! That was four days a week through summer, winter was dependent on weather. Didn’t think anything of it. Nowadays I don’t do the extra training afterwards 😕

Also I don’t feel like I’ve done anything until at least an hour in to a ride (or whatever physical activity), reading reports of things like the Bowderdale loop where the writer and his mates are knackered by the time they reach the halfway mark does make me wonder. I get to the end of the whole loop and think “now what can I do?”.

I think a lot of people are only used to doing a reasonable amount of exercise on Saturday and Sunday so come Monday, it’s a rest day as far as biking (or whatever) is concerned.

dazh

Personally I’d say that this is one thing that’s liable to make you hate your commute. Riding in in the snow and ice or in torrential rain and then getting to the end of the day, dragging on your damp, cold kit and setting out again ins pretty much guaranteed to make it a misery.

Well I’d make an exception for extreme weather, but for ‘normal’ weather it works for me. It’s probably just my lack of willpower, but once I skip a ride because it’s raining, I then start finding all sorts of excuses not to do it to the point where I’ll only go out if it’s sunny and warm. And the weather’s rarely as bad as looks once you’re warmed up.

dazh

To the MTFUers, how do you do it? Every few months I have a good week and do 5 commutes and it invariably leaves me gubbed the week after.

Just keep at it I guess, you get fitter. I’ve found you really have to think about what you eat and drink though. I’ve had a few occasions where I didn’t eat enough at work or ate the wrong things and had major bonks a few miles into the ride home. Mrs Daz even had to come and rescue me once.

D0NK

that week when you’re gubbed…go back and do it all again, (unless you’ve any health conditions – please seek medical advice etc) you just need to stress your body and keep at it til your body develops to cope with the demands you’re putting on it.

Within reason of course, make sure you have rest days in the week and an easyish week once a month while you build up.

cookeaa

I’m certainly not a MTFUer however there’s a fella I know local to me who effectively does the same commute as me (16 miles each way) but he’s going the other direction… every day, I see him cycling the other direction when I cycle or drive so I know He’s doing it at least 4 or 5 days a week, every week come rain or shine, He’s a lot faster and fitter than me too…

Similar job, similar hours, He’s probably 5-6 years older than me, simply more disciplined and does the miles…

The fact that He’s riding 50-60% more “base” commuting miles than I typically do, plus I know his weekend mileage is higher probably by about the same margin again, tells you everything you need to know IMO, the more you ride the more used to it you get, the fitter/stronger/faster you get…

Prevaricate, make excuses and put it off due to weather or your horoscope and you’ll never feel the benefits…

There probably is a plateau point, beyond which there’s little real gains to be had, but it’s not going to be doing 150 miles spread over five days…

philjunior
    Free Member

Wife needed the car, young child and not enough cash to get a second car at the time all helped me MTFU.

I do have easy weeks if I’ve had a hard weekend or just if I’m feeling a bit empty, I have been low on energy especially in winter when I’ve gone climbing then home (fantasising about any food whatsoever and trying to just tick along…). But it has had a massive impact overall, it does take months of constantly doing it to get used to it though, and it’s never going to be easy especially when it’s chucking it down outside. I think the first 3-4 months I lost weight, then it took about another 6 or so before I wasn’t frightened of being too tired later in the week if I rode harder early in the week.

TiRed

A few of you have commented on the bike of choice…I don’t use my road bike because I’m worried it’ll get knicked or some scrote will damage it. Am I being overly paranoid?

Ride what you like, but like what you ride! I ride a fixed wheel road bike with custom everything and lightweight wheels. It always brings a smile as it is just a joy to ride. It is low maintenance, but has permanent mudguards and can take a rack and panniers at a few minutes notice (I use a rucksack in summer and panniers winter).

On days when I have other cycling commitments I variously ride the bling road bike, the race bike and a TT bike to work. I keep those in the office.

Commuter bikes don’t have to be made of lead, weigh a tonne and handle like a bus. In fact if most of your riding is commuting (and for many it will be), why not ride something that you like?

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

I went through the same thing, it does get better and I went through pain then had a breakhrough where it became more manageable. What helped me was going at it for a day, resting a day or so and then going again. I went from once per week to 4 times per week over time. I also found when I started treating it less like a race and listened to my body (as it cried out in pain) I made better progress, it is worth sticking with it and you’ll feel great when you get past the sticking points.

njee20
    Free Member

Commuter bikes don’t have to be made of lead, weigh a tonne and handle like a bus. In fact if most of your riding is commuting (and for many it will be), why not ride something that you like?

Whilst I wholly subscribe to this philosophy (hence the Dura Ace equipped Madone in the bike rack at the moment), it will depend on your facilities. I’m confident ours are secure, so I’m happy taking the nice bike. If I were leaving it in public sight where scrotes could get at it I’d be markedly less keen.

That said, it’s insured, so if it went, it wouldn’t necessarily be the end of the world.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Cookeaa: the more you ride the more used to it you get, the fitter/stronger/faster you get…

I think that’s the crux of it. Because as far as I’ve seen it’s just not true in my case. I’m diverting slightly from the OP but this is something that’s bugged me loads over the last years. I am reeasonably fit at present but just cannot whatsoever build up a level of fitness beyond what I currently have. Every now and again I’ll push on and do the 4 days commute, one day climbing wall , or 5 days commute. If I’m doing anything much at the weekend then I’ll be gubbed. Or if I just do 2 or 3 days in the week and then do a big ride (Fred, EdD or Helvelyn+ High Street double) then I’m just gubbed.
    I’ve been trying to push my capabilities for around 4 years now and there is a ceiling I just can’t get past. And it bugs hell out of me. I want to get fitter but all that happens is I get wasted.

I’m currently eating loads of healthy shit and very little beer etc. I’m 6ft odd and 76kg. Can climb f7a on a good day, manage the occasional century (road miles, MTB km or rock climbs).

But there is no way I could commute 25 hilly miles 4 days a week, no way.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

.. and have an active weekend.

njee20
    Free Member

You probably ride too hard whenever you try it, I find it hard not to do the same when I commute. It’s very easy to just ride at a pace which doesn’t really offer any training benefit, but tires you out.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Commute killing me…do I just need to MTFU or admit defeat..’ is closed to new replies.