Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What fish for fish converters ? (not for any particular trails!!!)
  • santacruzsi
    Free Member

Getting into eating more fish lately and so far tried trout, seabass and the usual cod and haddock. Looking for another piece of fish to have tomorrow evening for tea and wondering what to try next. We prefer nothing with such a fishy taste, more of a meaty taste. Really liked the trout. Any suggestions welcome and associated recipes! Cheers.

Edit – considering Monkfish next.

joepose
    Free Member

No finer fish than the cheap old mackerel, fresher the better and simply fried. Let me know how you get on?

scotroutes

I’m not a fish fan but mackerel often hits the spot, is carb-free and is very, very good for you.

Haze

Plaice, Sole

boxfish
    Free Member

Bream!

bearnecessities

Meaty? Tuna steak?

yunki
    Free Member

Agree on the mackerel.. Tuna steak sounds right up your street too

weird thread title though

carlos
    Free Member

Halibut, Hake or John Dory float my boat

glupton1976
    Free Member

Shark steak.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

cheers folks…thread title was supposed to reference the “what tyres for….” saga 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mackerel fillet is delicious simply grilled skin side up till the skin is crispy, with some olive oil. I also like the tinned John West Mackerel fillets in sauces (mustard sauce and curry sauce in particular) mashed on toast and grilled.

If Regal Fish deliver to you they do delicious fish cakes and fish fingers (though they’re in batter). Really meaty with great quality fish.

Monkfish is good, but expensive and difficult to cook as it can dry out.

Nice juicy Tiger Prawns always hit the spot, the raw ones you cook up.

I’m hungry now…

theotherjonv

Stir fried king prawns and scallops with a bit of diced chorizo!

Not really ‘fish’ though.

Current fave for my fast days (on the 5:2) is river cobbler. Basically it’s farmed catfish, but they can’t call it catfish ‘cos that has to come from Louisiana or something.

Sprinkled with Cajun seasoning, or Old Bay seasoning if you can find it, oven cooked, delicious and dead cheap too. Asda and Sainsbury both do it, never looked for it in a fishmongers though. And someone will be along to sneer no doubt because it did have a bad rap a few years back, but that was years back.

paladin

Mackerel fish fingers, in a bun, with Mayo. Yum! Cheap!

Monkfish scampi. Yum! Expensive!

alpin
    Free Member

Fish farm fish good…. Net caught fish bad, imo.

Saibling…..don’t know the name English, but it’s good.

garage-dweller

Mackerel coated in porridge oats – dip in flour, egg, oats.

Fry in generous quantity of oil. Serve with (cheesy) mash, salute or crushed buttered new potatoes with fine beans.

garage-dweller

Salute would be saute. Darn predictive text.

doh
    Free Member

mackerel is my 1st choice.

alpin – Member
    Fish farm fish good…. Net caught fish bad, imo.

huge amounts of little fish are caught to make the food for the farmed fish. this leaves little for the wild fish (or anything else) to eat.
    very bad imo.

nedrapier

Dover Sole. spensive but good. (Add if it’s not expensive, it’s not Dover Sole)

jonahtonto
    Free Member

just make sure its really fresh. that ‘fishy’ taste comes from it ageing, meat ages well, fish does not.

my vote is also mackerel which is is good at the moment but will be gone till next summer soon.
    also big cornish sardines are good now too but they are bit of a faff if your new to fish unless you can get them filleted

piemonster

This is worth considering when deciding on fish

http://www.goodfishguide.co.uk/search-results

There’s a handy app as well

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Tuna steak, pan fried over a medium heat. The longer you fry it the meatier it will be…but be careful not to overdo it, it should still be slightly pink in the middle; the fresher the tuna, the more pinkerer it can be.

trout
    Free Member

GITS 😯

Swims away and hides

parkesie
    Free Member

All of them in a pie om nom nom

bails

No one mentioned salmon?

theblackmount
    Free Member

Where to start:

Red Mullet has a distinctive meaty flavour (cook with liver intact)
    Turbot would be in my top 10

As would:

Hake, Bass, Salmon (Scottish)and Tuna (very fresh and seared both sides, raw in the middle.

Mackerel is good fresh, quite strong flavour.

For shellfish:

Langoustines (Scottish)
    Mussels
    Tiger Prawns
    Cromer crab
    Live lobster split and grilled quickly over the bbq
    Squat Lobster (Squatties) if you ever see them
    Scallops nice but very sweet / needs something else cooked with them to offset.

You can buy King Crab frozen – its a very good intro to shellfish, nice meaty white flesh. Not cheap though…

arrpee
    Free Member

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/asian/thai/thai-fish-curry-with-mango.html

Make the above with halibut. It’s my standard fish-converter recipe. Careful not to over cook the halibut; it’s done in a couple of minutes. Decent mangoes a must.

+1 for Dover sole, best grilled whole on the bone. Another +1 for John Dory, if you like a meaty texture.

Red mullet is the bomb, especially done on the barbecue.

theblackmount
    Free Member

As someone above pointed out the “fishy taste” / smell is sure sign of something on the way out / past it.

Fresh fish smells only of the sea. Buy from a good Fishmonger, the gills should be bright red and the eyes clear.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks, appreciated. Certainly a fair bit to consider!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Well last weekends fish fest didn’t go ahead as the freezer packed in so it was see what we could salvage for tea! Anyhow got some red mullet today so will give that a whirl later.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What fish for fish converters ? (not for any particular trails!!!)’ is closed to new replies.