Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • What "family" car for about £7.5k
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

I'm thinking something along the lines of Passat/Bora but I've no idea. New, used, petrol, diesel i dunno. What I do know is that it must be big enough for tall people (6'2") and it mustn't be a Skoda. For what it's worth we don't do alot of miles (prolly 'bout 5000 per annum).

I'm sorry Skoda owners but I can't get past the name.

molgrips
    Free Member

You should get past the name. It'll make buying cars a lot easier if you aren't worrying about what looks like a girls' car or what makes people think you are a rep or wear M&S underwear, or that you like Radio 3 or some such nonsense.

Skoda are just a cheaper way of buying VW. Try Seat for the same effect with a nicer interior 🙂 There's the Altea and Toledo.

There are tons of cars around – you might as well ask 'what bike'. Best thing would be go to a big car dealer and walk around, then test drive some. Then ask on here about reliability.

renton
    Free Member

i wouldnt bother with a diesel at that sort of milage.

you could pick up a nice new model passat for that money .

or a later vectra.

wouldnt bother with a bora as they are just longer golfs and dont hae much leg room in the back and are also saloons which makes it a bugger to get the bike in the back too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bora/Jetta are much cheaper than golfs tho for the same spec. Because everyone's being told not to get them, as above 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

I would take a Skoda over a Seat any day of the week!!! Better build quality and a tendency not to have electrical hitches (every Seat owner I know has had them)

renton
    Free Member

molgrips im talking about the mk4 golf/bora.

i have no knowledge of the newer versions!

LHS
    Free Member

Passat
    Mondeo
    S-Max if you can get one at that price.
    Seat

Forget Skoda unless you can put up with the badge.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My main critria for a family car would be

Reliabilty
    Safety
    Comfort and space
    Economy and running costs
    Performance

To that end if it were my 7.5k I'd buy something Japanese.

LHS
    Free Member

Honda Accord Estate if you can see past the backside design.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would take a Skoda over a Seat any day of the week!!! Better build quality and a tendency not to have electrical hitches (every Seat owner I know has had them)

Mine was fine.. And surely they are the same, no? Build quality seemed the same except I find Skodas really ugly inside.

I completely fail to understand why anyone would care at all about what was written on the back of the car…?

DrP

Not wanting to sound like another "buy this cos I've got it" type person, but we've just had a little'un so have gone through exactly the same dilemma. One of our criteria was that the boot had to be big!
    Test drove a passat estate – hated the e-brake and it felt like a barge (was a lovely 140bhp diesel though).
    In the end I spotted an octavia on the forecourt, scoped it a bit anf thought it looked the ticket. Boot is mahoooosive! Beautiful inside (it is the elegance spec), engine's "ok" (1.6 fsi petrol – never gonna win any races, but perky enough for me now..), and drives beautifully.

I wasn't the least bit worried about the badge TBH.

THe odd thing is, I've come from a 200bhp high revving Civic Type R, and in all honesty I prefer driving the Skoda! I mean, the civic was fun, but there's only so fast you can go, and only so many times you can accelerate out of a corner like a loon before saying "ok – time to grow up…."!

So, in summary, buy a hot-hatch Skoda….
    DrP

CountZero

I have a Skoda, as does my dad. Once upon a time, like last century, Skodas were pretty ropy, due to communist build quality, but they still won lots of rallies, and they were still better than some British cars, like Triumph. You have to realise that before the communists took over Czeckoslovakia, Skoda were a luxury car manufacturer, who built big limousines.
    I test drove a Bora, W plate, with a 90Ps 1.9 TDi, £6000 from a dealer. (2007). It was horrible, it was slow, crappy gearbox, it wallowed around corners and was uncomfortable. The next day I drove a 51 plate Octavia, 1.9TDi 110Ps, £5000 from a dealer. The difference was amazing. I used to drive a W plate Audi A4 at work, and getting into the Skoda was just like the Audi, all the controls are the same, it was beautifully comfortable, went like the clappers, and I bought it on the spot. I had a Puma before, and the Skoda saved me a lot of money: tax was £110 against £175, insurance dropped from £300+ to less than £200, and fuel consumption went from a best of 33/gallon to 64/gallon on steady motorway trips. The amount of space in the back of an Octy is huge with the back seat down: I can get my Inbred 567 in with just the seat removed. For your budget you could probably get a fairly recent Octy estate, or possibly even a Superb, which is basically an Audi A4. The Octy is based on the Golf, the Mk IV in the case of mine. Get over the name thing, you're denying yourself a bloody good value for money car for no rational reason, build quality is up there with Audi, and better than some VW's.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Passats and Bora are well made but overpriced and handle like cack.

Try a Mazda 6, a lateish Mondeo, a lateish Astra (high spec) and a Honda Accord – all handle well and are great VFM.

Low miles does mean diesel not that useful BUT it will holds it's value.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mondeo would be top of my list, if you have any prejudices about them then do try to put them aside too.

justa
    Free Member

Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI

Love mine

jon1973
    Free Member

Forget Skoda unless you can put up with the badge.

Do people really still worry about their image when driving a Skoda? Didn't Jasper Carrot stop making jokes about them 20 years ago?

tonyg2003

Honda Accord estate but at 5000miles pa you should get the 2.0l petrol. Great engine and super relaible.

CountZero

At least twenty years ago. I think I used to crack Skoda jokes when I was at school. I'm fifty five now, you'd think people would have realised that the jokes are no longer valid. Toyota jokes, on the other hand, are perfectly justified.

Leku
    Free Member

VW Touran – very 'family' friendly.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I was thinking of a Touran but now think a bit too big and am eyeing up the Roomster now as the varioflex seating sounds fab…oh it's a Skoda…!

Edric64
    Free Member

Even Stevie Wonder would find a Roomster ugly and it's gutless

tiger_roach
    Free Member

The looks are growing on me and they seem to hold their value quite well.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Edric,none of the above are going to win any beauty contests.There's plenty to choose from. Very odd that folk are still bothered about badges.Stuck in the past?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

People do worry about the Skoda image, because it portrays them as poorer than VW drivers, who are poorer than Audi drivers. Basically what you are saying with a Skoda is that you are poor.

*I own a Skoda**

**Top of the range Octavia 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I would be happy to own a mundaneO, its a perfect family car, that & they are more 'exclusive' than a 3 series.

andrewh
    Free Member

Honda Accord Boring but the sensible choice.
    Jaguar XJ12 saloon much more fun http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-xj81-Jaguar-XJ12-Standard-5994cc-Petrol-/320516292513?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aa0427fa1 and the change on an LPG conversion.

Edric64
    Free Member

No young Dave Riley I will drive anything .I would even consider a Berlingo for putting bikes in its just an ugly car I would still buy one though at the right price

br
    Free Member

Either pay less and buy an Exec or pay more and buy something almost new from the Far East (Korean?).

Either way at 5k miles fuel cost is less important than other costs.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

What about a C-MAX?

grahamt1980

*I own a Skoda**

**Top of the range Octavia

Snap, and I love it.
    Can fit 2 in the boot with the seats up, wheels off, and all the biking gear you can imagine. Awesome car

prettygreenparrot

Touran is very handy. Albeit a bit van like. The older Merc A classes are surprisingly roomy (more leg room than an E-class merc in the back) in the long wheelbase format and can be had for a song now. Wouldn't bother with diesel at all.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Couple of observations that perfectly fit the stereotypes…

I would be happy to own a mundaneO, its a perfect family car, that & they are more 'exclusive' than a 3 series.

Errmm – if you want "exclusive" you do NOT buy a Mondeo. And why try and outdo a 3 series (that wasn't even mentioned)? This is typical of the point scoring rep wannabee. It may fit the OPs requirements but I'm sure he couldn't give a stuff how common the car is.

**Top of the range Octavia

Here's another one – Skoda vRS owners overjustifying their "sporty" cars. Yes the vRS is a decent enough car but it's not road burner. I find a lot of vRS drivers being very aggressive, tailgating and generally being a PITA – the reason? They have to justify that badge. Doesn't matter to me but to the owners it seems to be very important that their vRS is seen to be a "real" drivers car…

Skoda Roomster was mentioned – very good car. As is the uber cool Yeti.

£7.5k gets you a lot of car these days and loads are in that price bracket – unless it looks like a bargain (and then still haggle hard) walk away.

nbt

I've an Octavia estate, it's brill. Recently had a newer mondeo as a hire car, that was better. Bigger engine though: 2.0 diesel mondeo compared to 1.6 petrol octavia.

Anyway, what do you care about car badges, you live in Edgeley!

Bregante

I would strongly recommend you take a look at the Honda FRV. I don't have the best history for sticking with cars, usually getting rid after 18 months or so when I get bored but I have have my FRV for 4 years now and in my opinion there is still nothing on the market to beat it for practicality. I have 3 kids ranging from 3 yrs old to a 6 foot plus 14 year old and this car does it all. It can seat six, the boot is reasonably sized and I have carried 5 adults and six bikes on it in comfort (3 on a towbar rack and 3 on the roof) without a single problem.

I have the 2 litre petrol as I found the 1.7 a little under powered. And obviously, it's been ultra reliable – it's a Honda!

Plenty around at 7.5k ish.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/honda/fr-v/postcode/m113ba/radius/40/price-from/6000/price-to/8000/sort/priceasc

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Bregante – not a bad idea. Our friends have one (they have twin 3 year old and a 1 year old) and swear by it. Fugly though.. 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

Has bigbikebash been along to suggest buying his Integra yet? 😆

Meanwhile, this is mildly amusing video on the subject: http://jalopnik.com/5552529/asking-a-forum-fan+boy-for-car-buying-advice-is-useless

grahamt1980

The vrs isn't top of the range. Its the laurin and klement. The vrs is the most powerful. But mine has lots of toys

grahamt1980

Ok my bad. Mine isn't top of the range. Oh well

Leku
    Free Member

The Touran is based on the Golf and has the same footprint (wheelprint?).

Bregante

Surf-Mat – Member
    Bregante – not a bad idea. Our friends have one (they have twin 3 year old and a 1 year old) and swear by it. Fugly though..
    POSTED 41 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

arsed?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘What "family" car for about £7.5k’ is closed to new replies.