Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • What "family" car for about £7.5k
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah, FRVs look brilliant, I really want one despite only having one small child 🙂 Two rows of three seats works out much better than the Touran/Galaxy type layout, because even with 6-up you still get a decent boot.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I'm off to the Honda garage at lunch to have a peruse. The missus likes the Honda Accord Tourer.

NBT – it's Alderley Edgeley, (I've raised the profile)

-m-
    Free Member

Errmm – if you want "exclusive" you do NOT buy a Mondeo. And why try and outdo a 3 series (that wasn't even mentioned)? This is typical of the point scoring rep wannabee

Errmmm – I suspect that it's more typical of someone pointing out the irony that the 3-series shifts more units than the Mondeo annually in the UK, despite the former being perceived as more 'exclusive' i.e. it was a recommendation for a worthy family car without getting tied up in badge snobbery, rather than someone passing judgement about other cars and their drivers…

therealhoops
    Free Member

I'm still not buying a Skoda, end of.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Errmmm – I suspect that it's more typical of someone pointing out the irony that the 3-series shifts more units than the Mondeo annually in the UK, despite the former being perceived as more 'exclusive' i.e. it was a recommendation for a worthy family car without getting tied up in badge snobbery, rather than someone passing judgement about other cars and their drivers…

Anyone buying a 3 series to be "exclusive" is very stupid and blind. They are "prestigious" (more or less) but not "exclusive." Mondeos are brilliant VFM and handle well but are still FWD and have rather unpleasant interiors and the engines are falling behind. I like them a lot and I love the lack of badge "baggage" but I hear too many owners bleating on about them being better than a 3 series – there's no need. Anyway I'd seriously consider an Insignia – Ford do better chassis and handling but really are rather pricey – Vx do better engines IMO.

Hoops – anything from the HUGE list that catches your eye? I knew loads of Skoda owners would step in an defend their cars despite you stating clearly that you don't want one!

Any sort of size, age, brands you like/dislike/etc? As I said this is a very crowded price point in the market. You can get anything from a high mile prestige motor to a nearly new hatchback.

-m-
    Free Member

Anyone buying a 3 series to be "exclusive" is very stupid and blind.

You just can't help yourself can you? 😀

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You just can't help yourself can you?

A sniping 2.0 A3 TDI owner? What a surprise.

I notice you jump in on thread after thread about cars spouting your "opinion" yet get ignored. In fact I don't think anyone can claim to have started as many threads that have got no replies.

Jog on laddio 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

My sister sneered at Skodas despite everyone telling her they were good. Then she had one as a courtesy/hire car, and she came away saying 'no really it was great'.. We'd been trying to tell her they were totally unrelated to the old cars apart from the name, but she'd not listened in the slightest.

Stupid girl. Maybe therealhoops should get in touch, they might get on well? 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The latest Skodas (Fabia, Octavia, Superb, Yeti, Roomster) are all brilliant but some people just don't WANT one – I think that's fair enough! Doesn't mean people are stupid (well not all the time)…

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone buying a 3 series car to be "exclusive" is very stupid and blind.

Fixed that for you.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – ermmm – so what about an Aston Martin or a custom specced Veyron? Or countless other hyper cars (as well as niche cars like Ariels) Methinks they are rather exclusive… 😉

-m-
    Free Member

A sniping 2.0 A3 TDI owner? What a surprise.

I notice you jump in on thread after thread about cars spouting your "opinion" yet get ignored. In fact I don't think anyone can claim to have started as many threads that have got no replies.

Jog on laddio

You're not TJ in disguise are you? I think he's the only person on here I've ever managed to have a dispute with (not a great claim to fame I admit…).

I'm confident my posting history reveals that I like to strike right at the heart of the important issues of the day 😉 Still, I try to offer direct experience in response to questions, rather than just 'opinion' – some seem to think that doing this to provoke a reaction is more important.

Don't worry, I don't own (and never have owned) an A3 2.0TDI. Or a 3-series…

And to avoid accusations that I'm not providing useful input, I owned a Mondeo estate for 5 years and 80,000 miles. As I've said on here before it was huge, capable and cheap to run.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I don't like SPAM Skodas! I also don't like Lambo's, Freelanders, Rovers and Jags. Honda is front runner followed closely by Seat then Ford.

nbt

Honda is front runner followed closely by Seat

Seat = Skoda with a different badge, but if that's important to you…

molgrips
    Free Member

Seat = Skoda with a different badge AND interior.

Mat – those are indeed exclusive cars, but if you bought one SOLELY because few other people had one, you'd be a vain idiot. By all means get one because you like it for what it is.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hoops – estate, saloon, hatchback? TBH choosing a car by brand isn't that useful – pretty much all brands do good models and cr4p models. TBH I'd avoid Seat though – I've had three new Seat hire cars break down on me and the interiors are utterly gruesome.

Mol – people with too much money spend huge amounts to be exclusive. Take this life-changingly shocking example…

Hello Kitty takes a ride… in a Ferrari

However some "exclusive" and/or one off cars are lovely. My Dad's had a few one offs and each one has been ace.

molgrips
    Free Member

They do, Mat, and it's silly 🙂

That's why I ride an Orange 5 and a Kona, and love em 🙂 Also why I drive a Passat!

Oh and on Seat – why would a Seat be more or less likely to break down than a same generation VW or Skoda?

EDIT: just looked at that Ferrari, I though it was quite tastefully and smartly done until I saw the interior. Why buy a Ferrari when at heart you know you should be driving a Vauxhall Corsa?

hora
    Free Member

As stated, if you are doing 5,000 miles a year why bother with the price premium etc of a diesel.

Seat – they aren't exactly cheap for what they are so why not go for a VW? Plus most Seat's look like they fell out of the ugly tree and were finished off at the bottom by five blokes with baseball bats.

Bulbous styling with a reverse-tardis interior for space.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – no idea why Seat's seem worse but that's my own personal experience. One completely died after it rained (!), one got some awful gearbox rattle, the other had ECU issues – all super low mileage and nearly new. Two Alteas, one Leon. I just get the feeling that despite being pretty much VWs, they just don't quite get the same level of attention when being built.

Errmm – did you see the Kitty tailpipes on that 360?!! And the mirrors?!

renton
    Free Member

i can recommend a ford cmax.
    ive got a 2.0 tdci version and whilst its not the fastest thing on the road the handling more than makes up for it.

comfy, roomy, great driving position and decnet fuel economy.

ive had mine for 2 years nearly and its on 110000 miles and still runs real smooth.

big enough to get my bike in the back.

you can remove all 3 rear seats and turn it into a van and get most things in it then.

also if you remove just the middle rear seat the outer two seats slide rewards/inwards to give even more leg room.

cheers

steve

hora
    Free Member

Why not a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.0 Tourer? Av.37mpg and good tax band.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

i can recommend a ford cmax.

Tell me more. My current opinion is Roomster more practical and C-MAX more fun to drive and still quite practical – seats not as flexible.

molgrips
    Free Member

I test drove Seats when I was looking for cars, the ones I tried (2-3yo) just weren't as good as VWs being still the older generation of bodies and engines etc.

Mat, I doubt that the gearboxes and engines for the different VAG cars are built any differently to each other.

renton
    Free Member

i cant comment on the roomster but all the back seats in the cmax are seperate so you can take them out one at a time if you wish.

they also fold down and then up and hook onto the back of the front seats if you dont want the hassle of completly removing them.

the front seats have aircraft style trays fitted to the back of them for rear passengers to put drinks etc on!!

my kids like siting in the back as they are higher up and can see more out of their windows compaired to a mondeo say.

id say it handles loads better than my old 52 plate passat estate(which had the sport suspesnion)and also better than my father in laws 08 vectra .

i really like mine and when i come to replace it i will be getting a newer version.

i would seriously consider one if i was in your position

cheers

steve

hora
    Free Member

Anyone with a Ford – dont take this the wrong way but I can't get my head round the dash's on C-Max's or previous gen-Mondeo or Focus's. Especially the C-Max- it just looks really cheap.

renton
    Free Member

hora .. in what sort of way does it look cheap?? soft plastics, nice big labelled buttons, very well laid out!

cant see where your coming from

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

mol – when three break down on you, it puts you right off.

They also consistently score worse than Skoda, Audi or VW in JD Power surveys.

renton
    Free Member

although the one thing on my dash which is annoying/useless is the top cubby hole, which i believe has been removed from later models

-m-
    Free Member

The early C-Max scored poorly on customer satisfaction, including reliability. I don't know if this has changed. Strangely it scored far worse than the Focus. Not sure if it originates in a different factory.

I almost got to try a Roomster the other week, but my friends at Hertz at Heathrow had forgotten to check the coolant levels, so it wasn't going anywhere…

For Seat -v- Skoda -v- VW reliability issues the cars are assembled in different factories, even if many of the underlying components are common. This may account for some differences.

There are persistent rumours in the industry that Seat – as the consistently under-performing VAG unit – is on 'one last chance' before being ditched. This probably has as much to do with market position and branding as vehicle quality though.

hora
    Free Member

Renton, the switchgear.

I've driven a Roomster on holiday- It was vague, slightly disconnected to the road in my opinion.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

OK I'm leaning towards a C-Max but the Roomster seats can slide backwards and forwards, sideways and lie flat which I don't think the C-Max can do quite as well?

-m-
    Free Member

I'm leaning towards a C-Max

A big advantage of pretty much any Ford second hand is the availability of parts and servicing. In the UK you are almost guaranteed to have a choice of Ford dealers for parts and servicing, and most indepedents and motor factors will also be more than happy to deal with you. Plenty of competition helps to keep the prices down. Due to ubiquity there are also plenty of 'donor' vehicles if you ever need a big bit and don't want to pay for new – particularly as the car gets older.

Whilst many components on the Roomster are common VAG, you're unlikely to find many residing in your local scrapyard.

These may be important considerations dependant on how important running costs are to you and how long you anticipate keeping it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tiger – get the C Max. It'll be SO easy to live with and has a cracking chassis. As m says, cheap to run and look after.

But how about Hoops? Are we getting any closer to a decision?!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Here's another one – BMW owners overjustifying their "sporty" cars. Yes the BMW 3 Series is a decent enough car but it's not road burner. I find a lot of BMW drivers being very aggressive, tailgating and generally being a PITA – the reason? They have to justify that badge. Doesn't matter to me but to the owners it seems to be very important that their BMW is seen to be a "real" drivers car…

Fixed that for you Mat 😀

I have had 2x Octavia vRS since 2003 and not once have I felt the need to "prove a point" It's quick and I know it, I couldn't give a shiney shite what anyone else thinks. Ffs IT'S A CAR!!!! Does it go from A-B? Is it reliable? Can I fit loads of stuff in it? That's all that matters to me, I have no inescurity issues about my manhood 😀

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

In that case why the vRS and not a lesser model? Bet you've told loads of people how it has the same engine as a Golf GTi (that's a very common vRS owners line) but cost far less and has a bigger boot? 😆 Fast? Well it's hottish hatch territory but not exactly "fast."

As for BMW – they make everything from pretty standard repmobiles like the 118d and 320d and the odd pantaloons soft roader (ahem X1 and X3) to supercar baiting loon-mobiles like the M cars. Some are cr4p, some are very good. So I'm afraid your "amusing" edit is a little bit silly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mat – fast is relative. My Passat is the fastest car I've owned, but you'd sneer at it I'm sure 🙂

As for Seat, not trying to defend them (for newer cars), was just genuinely interested as to why they'd be less reliable. Different factories could be a factor I'm sure.

As above, was not impressed with later cars when I test drove. Roomster sounds good tho.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – our other car is one of the slowest on the UK market – I sneer at nothing except silly claims… 😉

Going up a notch or two, I know folks (who are a bit full of it if I'm honest) who think anything that does 0-100 in under 10s isn't fast…! Even 15s to 100 is fast IMO!

tinsy
    Free Member

If you liked the layout of the FRV, how about the Multipla?

I got an old banger one as a 2nd car and I love it.. (however my wife hates it)

You would get into a lot newer Fiat than you will the FRV for your cash.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like Multiplas actually, shame they're Fiat. That is, if Fiat are as unreliable as I'm told.

tinsy
    Free Member

I was going to say that you would get a newer lower milage Fiat for your money than you would the FRV, but to be honest there isnt much in it, I just had a quick squint on autotrader, I dont think the FRV was/is a very popular car making it a 2nd hand bargain.

Not popular does not make it a bad car. And its looks a great buy.

Maybe I was wrong!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘What "family" car for about £7.5k’ is closed to new replies.