Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What do you use to protect your chainstay?
  • nowmefeelinit
    Free Member

I’m using a neoprene chainstay protector at the moment but thinking about fitting a bionicon. Not sure if the tie-wraps will work very well over the neoprene protector. Looking for alternative ideas – what does everyone else use?

Stu

danielgroves
    Free Member

The biggest one of these they make: http://www.lezyne.com/en/chainstay-protector

(Meta5 has a rather thick swingarm)

Have previously used old innertubes though.

_tom_
    Free Member

Old innertube wrapped round and held on with zip ties.

perthmtb
    Free Member

A clutch rear mech.

Seriously – I’ve taken the chainstay protection off both my bikes since I fitted clutch mechs as I just don’t need it anymore…

Stevelol
    Free Member

Frame wrap from bike-tart is very good if you apply it carefully and don’t overlap it like mad.

ska-49
    Free Member

Clutch mech! No marks at all on my chainstay.
    Will wrap it with an innertube at some point. Just to be safe.

dibboid
    Free Member

This and it only sticks to itself and offers loads of protection and you remove it and there’s no sticky residue left on the frame. Start behind chain ring and finish at cassette with a stealth zip tie. And cheap and neat to and you could probably put a lizard skin overt the top if you want.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Heatshrink on the bike with a Horst link pivot and self amalgamating tape on the ones that don’t.

gonzy
    Free Member

using one of those neoprene guards at the moment but its a little on the short side so when i can be bothered i will go back to using the good old inner tube method…

hopkinsgm

Personally, I’ve started using this -> http://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgamating-rubber-tape-black-19mm-x-10m/87717

One roll has done a couple of regular tubular chainstays on hardtails so far with roughly half width overlap and there’s quite a bit left on the roll. Certainly enough to do at least one more chainstay, probably enough to do another two. Obviously you wouldn’t get so many beefy swingarms out of a roll though…

Garry_Lager

Zip-tied inner tube, tried and tested.

If you’re on a clutch mech check you’re not getting any heel rub before removing the protector. My winter shoes (which I wear quite a bit) would do some damage to an unprotected stay, which on a carbon frame seems like a recipe for disaster {also need a wee bit of protection on the non-drive side for this reason).

mindmap3
    Free Member

Old inner tubes because I’m a tighwad. Seems to work really well and keeps the bike sounding quiet (my SX have the seat stays done as well).

Will be interesting to see how much of a real imporvement a clutch mech is when I get round to getting one.

binners

A section of drainpipe held on with 3 jubilee clips

qwerty
    Free Member

SS FTW !!

amplebrew

Another fan of the self-amalgamating tape from Screwfix.

Funnily enough my roll has just turned up today in the post 8)

yunki
    Free Member

when my gran died, I had her stuffed and mounted by the local taxidermist.. She spent many happy years on our mantlepiece, but after an unfortunate incident with our pet Labrador Steven, we had to find a new home for her..

It was at this point that I removed most of the straw and sawdust that she was stuffed with and wrapped the perfectly preserved pelt around my chainstay.. held in place with a fine spun rope that I had made from her gossamar leg hair..

I now have a well protected stay and also I get the benefit of granny’s smiling face beaming up at me every time I look back to see who I’ve just overtaken..

fathomer

Self amalgamating tape here as well, looks pretty neat and does a good job!

pickle
    Free Member

the old inner tube and zip ties here

philtricklebank

I use method two from this – very neat and no zip ties. The guy is a bit hirsute and I wish he’d shut his legs, but very useful!! 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIkTBuuzKOU[/video]

core

A chainstay protector, off the shelf, they only a cost a few quid, don’t know why it has to be any more complicated than that?

inbred853

I got some coloured silicon self amalgamating tape from the bay, red for the inbred and blue for the El Mar, colour match was pretty good to. No need for zip ties or owt.

dibboid
    Free Member

Because my amalgamation tape covers every mm of the chain stay so if the chain drops at the front you got cover.

chrismac

The fluffy half of self adhesive velcro works a treat

Yetiman
    Free Member

For years I was using inner tubes, but my new frame came with a bolt on plastic protector which seems to be holding up ok. The underside has some scuffs from chain slap though, so hopefully my new Shadow Plus mech will help to reduce that happening in future.

Keva
    Free Member

bit of garden hosepipe sawn in half

muckytee
    Free Member

Zip ties and inner tube. Why spend money?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I have a Bionicon on one of my bikes with a non-clutch mech. I took the velcro neoprene Lizard Skin off as I didn’t want to cable tie the Bionicon over the Neoprene – I like to take the Neoprene off when cleaning the bike. So I wrapped some transparent Heli-tape round the chainstay. Works very well and pretty invisible. I do still get chain slap due to the non-clutch mech, but it is massively reduced.

greeble
    Free Member
    uwe-r
    Free Member

I recently bought a cheap protector for about £4.50 came with a free copy of MBR which was nice!

bear-uk
    Free Member

Another 1 for self alalgamating tape

mikewsmith
    Free Member

inner tube, they grow on trees it seems…
    cheap & easy. the more expensive versions are just adverts and do a worse job due to having a wider profile

TooTall
    Free Member

Inner tube and black leccy tape. Way more tidy than even tie wraps and way cheaper than buying something.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Neoprene thing that came free with MBUK. It’s bliddy years old, a touch tatty (and it says MBUK on it!) but, it works….

jimthelad
    Free Member

+1 for the inner tube and leccy tape. Super stealth on the BFe. Also wrap leccy tape around the bottom part of the seat stay just incase. Same principle applied to the white Mongoose but using white duck tape instead.

Trekster

Inner tube on one bike and the remains of a Panaracer tyre which lasted but a 1/2ml before ripping side out of it 🙄 Decided that it cost way too much to bin it after such a short rode it gets recycled for other stuff……Never bought another Panaracer since…..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Self adhesive Velcro.

Coyote
    Free Member

Inner tube.

mintimperial

The chainstay protector thingy that came with my frame. I did once use a strip of exploded Maxxis Minion on another bike. Was a bugger to slice up but it certainly kept the chainstay nice and smooth and looked quite pleasing.

matther01
    Free Member

Csixx protector

blob
    Free Member

I use a velcro fastening neoprene chainstay protector and Bionicon V2 guide. Never had any problems with either- just attach the zip ties over the protector.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What do you use to protect your chainstay?’ is closed to new replies.