Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What do you think? Alps Bike specific man made trails verses the original ones
  • GEDA
    Free Member

Just back from the Alps and had a wicked time. I went to Passportes area. But It would have been a bit boring if I had just done the trails especially made for bikes. Talk about monotonous. They seem to have a set template of using only berms and table tops built strangely enough small digger sized. Every bloody man made trail is the same. I suppose they can't have trails running right across the hill so they have to have all the berms to keep the trail in one place and cope with the steepness. I got me thinking as well that there has now got to be people out there who are wicked at doing jumps and stuff but might have a wobbly if they came up against some random non bike specific stuff.

We did some pushing, traversing and exploring and found some reet good stuff though that would probably not last 5 mins with a lot of traffic.

hainey
    Free Member

Natural trails hands down. Get yourself across to Les Arcs with TrailAddiction next time!!

singlespeedstu

One of the reasons we keep going back to Bike Verbier is the fact that they find so many natural* trails.

*Not built for bikes.

GEDA
    Free Member

I didn't want to use the words Natural trail.

ddmonkey

I think this is a very similar argument to the trail centre vs getting out there and exploring debate in the UK. As you say if you get out and explore then there is masses of good stuff, but if you don't have the time or inclination then the built trains do a good job of taking the heavy traffic and providing instant gratification.

I like a bit of both me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I agree. The right walking trails are the BEST! Except in BC.

GEDA
    Free Member

They could at least try to make the man made stuff a bit different. All the same width, think they must do it on the cheap.

freeridenick
    Free Member

No trail is natural, natural = footpath

BC manmade stuff is a class above anything in alps…
    whistler bikepark – the original – the best 🙂

nickegg
    Free Member

Natural trails every time. Thats what makes the Alps so great, the sheer length of descents, relative emptiness(depending on when/where you go) and those amazing views.

Tracey

Natural trails for us. Thats why this year will be our seventh time with Bike Verbier. Long epic all day rides.

Tracey

stevomcd
    Free Member

Agreed, the French don't seem to do built trails terribly well. Ok in a big-bike, steep, bermy, Euro-DH kind of way.

We avoid them for the most part (the odd DH run for people who want to) and ride "natural" trails.

Natural vs. man-made is of course a difficult distinction to make – most of our local trails were hand-built a few generations ago. If you look over the side, you'll see many trail sections which run on top of dry-stone walls. You'd never know it from the surface though as they've been totally taken-over by tree roots and rock-falls. Just means they have a sensible gradient and drain amazingly well.

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

i've not ridden any of the french purpose-build mtb trails in the alps but seen plenty of vids and photos and it seems rather geared towards the gravity crowd and not my cup of tea.
    natural trails for me any day, have done 5 self-planned transalps so far and the sense of adventure you get when you're out there riding, pushing and carrying is second to none.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What do you think? Alps Bike specific man made trails verses the original ones’ is closed to new replies.