Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • What do we need Royal Mail for?
  • ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

So Ernie and his mates are going on strike. What do we actually need posties for?

Bank and credit card statements can be obtained on-line.
    Utility bills, phone, gas, electric etc can be obtained on-line.
    Birthday cards and Xmas greetings can be sent on-line.
    Payments to suppliers or as presents can be made on-line.
    Parcels can be delivered by a variety of courier companies, who will come and collect from you. Bookings can be made on-line.
    Small packets can be sent via HDN type services, who will come and collect from you. Bookings can be made on-line.
    My dentist and doctor send appointment reminders out on-line.
    Holiday bookings are frequently made on-line.
    Bookings for concerts etc are frequently made on-line and tickets printed out at home.

So what are we left with? Junk mail and those annoying leaflets that the posties shove through the door. (At Home, or something similar I think it's called). Well we cancelled that and our quality of life hasn't markedly deteriorated.

The only other thing that we seem to need posties for is to deliver mags that we subscribe to. Not really a major argument for keeping the service is it?

If we got rid of posties would we suffer? The only time we see our postie is at Xmas when he wishes us Season's Greetings with his hand held out for a tax free payment for doing his job.

Posties might be doing themselves out of a job.

Is there anything we really cannot manage without posties for?

jon1973
    Free Member

what happens if you don't have a computer or internet connection?

40% of UK household don't have web access.

geoffj

Free suppy of rubber bands?

**Actually, I reckon I must have one of the best posties in Scotland.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Yes, that's the only problem. But how many fall into that category? Certainly no-one on here. And Gordon is going to tax us all 50p per m onth to run broadband out to every home, so the problem will soon pass.

jon1973
    Free Member
    ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

And Gordon is going to tax us all 50p per m onth to run broadband out to every home, so the problem will soon pass.

ransos
    Free Member

I find that couriers invariably provide a worse service than RM.

jon1973
    Free Member

soon? when is soon then? Computers have been around for quite a while and so has the internet, and still only a 60% uptake? Just cos broadband is available to everyone it doesn't mean everyone will use it. Is the govenment going to pay for everyone to have a computer too?. Will there be a point in time where you tell everyone that you will no longer get post, so it's too bad if you don't have a PC.

oh, yes! what about my DVD's by post? 😯

mike_check
    Free Member

You can't stick 20quid in an online birthday card, and you can't stick it up on ya window sil with all the others, you can't get a stupid badge saying "it's my birthday" to wear down the pub so girls give you hugs and people buy you drinks. first person to send me an e-birthday card gets a reply of 'you lazy ****, let us not bother anymore.'

Also, I prefer to recieve statements and bills in paper form.

Just 'cos technology CAN be used doesn't mean it SHOULD.

I support the postmen!

AndyP
    Free Member

Is there anything we really cannot manage without posties for?
    who would do the constant moaning and going on strike if we didn't have posties?
    We'd have to rely on someone else to go through the mail and nick credit cards out of it too.
    Oh, and who would carefully mash your A3 envelope marked 'photos – please do not bend' into an interesting shape so that it will fit through your average letter box?
    They provide me with a reason to go to the village, when they deliver a card into my hands saying 'you weren't in, so we'll return your parcel to the post office'.
    god bless 'em, they do a wonderful job.

mtbfix

Because couriers avoid residential deliveries at all costs and because the govts stake in RM mean that they have to meet a service/cost level that makes the service accessible for everyone. Once the market were fully privatised prices would go through the roof, just like trains, gas, elec, water and all the other services govts have sold off over the last 30 years in the name of improved competition.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @ ChatsworthMusters !

Yes, that must be why country after country are scrapping their postal services 😀

The Dutch company which wants a piece of Royal Mail's action obviously doesn't realise that postal services are doomed. Although I guess that might be because they fully aware that Royal Mail delivers 75 million letters and parcels every day.

btw, I am not a postal worker. I am however a customer. And as a government owned company, I indirectly have a 'share' in Royal Mail, and it's profits reduce my tax bill. I also feel a sense of social responsibility towards British workers who are fighting to protect their industry against foreign privateers.

westkipper
    Free Member

Playing devils advocate for a minute, there area few things on your list that you've got a point with.
    Sending any sort of mail used to be ridiculously cheap. Since deregulation that mail that people and businesses do have to send has become more expensive. The presence of a national mail provider that provides a fixed one price goes anywhere service has kept even its competitors prices low-and that applies to packet delivery as well- what do you think's gonna happen when we go down the tubes?
    I laugh when I hear how we are less relevant than ever, If we are so unnessesary, why are people so ( justifiably) angry just now?
    When the postal service is reduced to a mail equivalent of railtrack, all our taxes will be used to prop it up.
    BTW can anyone name a country that doesnt have a mail system?

emac65
    Free Member

Strikes don't work FACT & all they are doing by having them is p1ssing everyone off & losing public sympathy.Plus they are playing into their hands by having them,remember the NCB strikes & what happened to there…..

molgrips
    Free Member

You can't stick 20quid in an online birthday card

You can paypal £20 for less than the cost of a stamp…

But anyway, the posties are shooting themselves in the foot by striking. The point abotu striking is that you withold the means of your bosses making money, to make them do what you want. However the RM doesn't make money, it loses it for the Govt. So strikes will drive customers away, making the RM smaller and hence losing less money for the Govt. So strike away lads, show em what you're made of! 🙄

llama

I can't count the number of times I've ordered something on-line and had it posted through the letter box by a postman less than 48 hours later. At no extra delivery cost. There is just no way you'll get this service from anyone else.

Anyone who thinks it is a poor service should think carefully about the alternative. Without the royal mail all the other courier companies will be charging more and making you pick stuff up from a central depot.

Mark my words, its getting sold off after the election. I mean, they are already talking about shareholders if the BBC's sources are to be believed. I'm sure it will end up working as well as all the other privatisations.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Strikes don't work FACT

Actually they do. That's why they occur. If strikes didn't work, then we wouldn't have the most restrictive anti-strike legislation in the western world. It simply wouldn't be necessary.

jon1973
    Free Member

You can paypal £20 for less than the cost of a stamp…

I'm sure that will make the day of a 6 year old on his birthday to know that his paypal account has been credited with 20 quid 🙄

mtbfix

Strikes don't work FACT

I seem to recall that a few years ago the govt wanted to change the pay and conditions of the judiciary. The judges threatened to go on strike and the govt capitulated. The issue in that case is that there was no alternative and the judge held all the cards. NCB strikes failed as the govt had a national strategy to import coal on the cheap and used the coal strikes as a means to break the unions and turn public opinion against ANY union activity.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

You can't stick 20quid in an online birthday card,

You wouldn't seriously put a £20 note in a birthday card would you? It isn't obligatory to give the postie a tip for doing his job (or not).

jon1973
    Free Member

You wouldn't seriously put a £20 note in a birthday card would you? It isn't obligatory to give the postie a tip for doing his job (or not).

I always used to get money through the post when on my birthday when I was younger, can't ever remember a time when a card wasn't delivered. It's actually nice to get something (even if it's not money) through the post. I get loads of shitty emails every day, what is so special about getting another shitty email on your birthday?

Plus your assumption that all posties are thieves is just wrong.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Plus your assumption that all posties are thieves is just wrong.

Your assumption that I assumed all posties to be thieves is just wrong.

mike_check
    Free Member

Ace! My dear old nan can just print out the paypal confirmation for me! Then in three or four days time, I might be able to actually have that £20! Suppose I don't really need cash anymore, no point in shops either, now if only my local would accept paypal payments the world would be complete! Maybe I'l suggest it to them, I could set up a paypal tab I suppose.

Also, yep I have recieved cash in the post. I am actually yet to recieve anything that has already been opened, though I do worry about postcards from holiday, don't want the nasty postman having a sneaky read of my business.

jon1973
    Free Member

It isn't obligatory to give the postie a tip for doing his job (or not).

Was that just an off-topic throw away comment then?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Ah, another postie I presume. Finished your round already? Or just dumped it somewhere?

juan
    Free Member

So you can get the stuff you bought on CRC because you can't be bothered to support a LBS delivered to your place the day after you hit the checkout button?

westkipper
    Free Member

Virtually all the theft (or dumped mail) Ive have seen in the 4 offices Ive worked at over the years has been commited by temporary,casual workers
    Those are the future of the service, Thats what RM would like to implement.

jon1973
    Free Member

Ah, another postie I presume. Finished your round already? Or just dumped it somewhere?

If that was directed at me, the answer is no, I'm not a postie. Just someone who uses and appreciates the postal service.

kimbers

having just organised a wedding it would have been a lot harder and more expensive without the royal mail- invites and stuff

and please try and tell the bride to be that an e-invite is a perfectly reasonable alternative to the card she spent months designing, printing and sticking together

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Finished your round already? Or just dumped it somewhere?

What a stupid and childish school playground taunt.

😕

juan
    Free Member

Finished your round already?

Well I take it the already is subjective. It all depends what time they start.
    Plus I bet you are "working from home" or at work right now quit ironingic isn't it.

2tyred

If we got rid of posties would we suffer? The only time we see our postie is at Xmas when he wishes us Season's Greetings with his hand held out for a tax free payment for doing his job.

I despair of this kind of thinking.

With this approach to public services, in time you'll get the held-to-ransom, only-for-profit crap, overpriced, unpleasant service you deserve and it'll cost you more and give you less.

For what its worth, I seldom see my postman either because I'm at work too. However, he delivers our mail and does his best to deliver packages that won't fit in the letterbox safely. When he can't, he leaves a card and I collect it at my local post office or DO, both of which I can walk to, for no charge. Private couriers seldom bother trying and now have a ruse whereby repeat delivery attempts are chargeable!

A Christmas tip is a pleasant human interaction between my postman (whose name is Gary) and my family – we don't often see him in person to thank him for his services – and is simply part of the bonhomie surrounding Christmas round our way.

I'm sure I could manage without the Royal Mail, but I don't want to. Same goes for lots of things.

Mon the posties!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Personally, I'm pretty sure I don't need mail delivered to my door. I'd be perfectly content to pick it up from somewhere, ideally at the same time as I got food in or rented some films or whatever. Couple of times a week would be fine. I wonder how much difference that would make to the operating costs of the service?

westkipper
    Free Member

Bigdummy, you for one, are not going to be unhappy with the future!
    Its coming sooner than you think!

BigDummy
    Free Member

The issue is how far people have to go to collect it isn't basically?

If I have to go to a windswept depot on the Croydon bypass then it'll be hopeless, shan't ever bother. If I have to pop into an office on the high street next to the deli and the greengrocer then it could almost be an improvement. (Mrs Goggins, I assume, would get her post picked up by whoever sorts her food shopping, so it shouldn't be the end of the world for her.)

It's hard this. I like post, prefer envelopes to emails, and I've nowt against postmen. But it seems to be true that their business has changed enormously and I, certainly, have no recent experience of it being a marvellous service that I couldn't possibly do without.

juan
    Free Member

I wonder how much difference that would make to the operating costs of the service?

Depends where you live I guess. How expensive it will be to store the mail?
    How often are you going to go and check if you have mail?
    How long are they going to keep mail for?
    How much of a mess is it going to make…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If I have to pop into an office on the high street next to the deli and the greengrocer then it could almost be an improvement.

I bet the queues will be tiny.

I mean, how long can it take to personally hand over (after checking ID) 75 million letters and parcels every day ?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Don't be obtuse. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What does that fancy word "obtuse" mean BD ? ………Is it something to do with being in touch with reality ?

jon1973
    Free Member

The issue is how far people have to go to collect it isn't basically?

That's true, but it's the thin end of the wedge isn't it?.

If you get rid of deliveries and ask people to go the the local office, then the offices become too expensive so they close smaller ones down. Then you end up having to go further away and before you know it, you have a 2 hour round trip to get to an office that's only open when you're at work.

Somethings services are worth paying for imo, and Royal Mail is one of those services.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘What do we need Royal Mail for?’ is closed to new replies.