Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What Coffee Machine of £100 approx.
  • Rochey
    Free Member

I currently have a Dolce Gusto but to be honest it’s time to replace her.

Budget approx £100 but could increase if a little.

What would you replace her with, this?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/bosch-tassimo-tas4011gb-multi-beverage-machine-00939673-pdt.html

Cheers

PS – I love and drink Cappacino only.

qwerty
    Free Member

Dualit Espresivo from John Lewis for an extended guarrantee

Android
    Free Member

We have had a nespresso machine which is really good if you want to stick with the convenience (and expense) of pods. Very good customer service too if you have a problem.

Rochey
    Free Member

Any further ideas.

richcc
    Free Member

Cafetierre or stove top Bialetti?

mintsauce5
    Free Member

i’ve got the tassimo t40 , love it 😀

griffin
    Free Member

You’ll probably get the best results from upgrading to a proper espresso machine, as a good espresso is the base of every good cappucino. At home I have a Gaggia Baby Class, which is a lot pricier than your £100 target but, oddly enough, the cheap one I have at work makes a much better espresso and costs a hell of a lot less. Mind you, I’ve never tried the milk frothing wand and it looks a bit of a pig.
    http://www.johnlewis.com/230906933/Product.aspx

moniex
    Free Member

don’t get the dualit, unless get it from JL with a LONG warrenty. We are on our 3rd one in 2 years! (heavy use though lol! hence why i am still up!). Also had a gaggia cubica with lots of trouble (and rubbish support for spare parts). How bout a good old KRUPS, german so should be good. We got one from a boot sale and that was the longest lasting machine yet!

Simone

scruff9252

mtbmatt
    Free Member

We have a Tassimo, although paid much less than £120!

It is good, but don’t expect good coffee. It can’t do proper expresso, more like a small black coffee.

I stopped using it and use a stove top instead, which cost all of £15 and far better coffee.

Depends what you are after, could be right for you, but look for a cheaper price.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I would go stove top and a good grinder if you don’t have one. Freshly ground beans can’t be beaten.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

I can sell you a Gaggia Cubika for a little more than half your budget if you like? It makes great coffee and is in excellent condition. I just don’t drink enough coffee in the house to justify having it and its a waste just sitting there.

if you’re interested let me know.

simon_g

Another vote for Nespresso if you prefer pods rather than obsessing over the coffee-making process. You can get a Citiz or Pixie machine at the moment for about £140, but with £40 of credit to spend on pods.

Very happy with mine. Good enough for the Fat Duck to serve to people at the end of their £300+ meals too.

andytherocketeer

Did look at nespresso. Thing that puts me off is the fact that no shops sell the stuff, so it’s mail order only. CBA to go to the post office weekly just to collect coffee.

AFAIK There is a Dutch company that makes reusable pods for nespresso machines. But like my Senseo (complete piece of cack if you ask me), it’s more faff filling reusable pods than it is filling a normal espresso machine.

Give me a normal coffee machine any day. Cheaper coffee, wider range of coffee, and readily available in any shop that sells coffee.

poppa
    Free Member

Does nespresso make as good an espresso as a dedicated espresso machine? Interested.

simon_g

I live in London so can stop by Selfridges 🙂

Normally just stock up with a few hundred at a time, I don’t use it every day so that lasts a few months at least.

edit – poppa: as good as an espresso made by a decent machine, with decent coffee, by someone that knows what they’re doing and takes the time to do it properly? Probably not. Beats the hell out of the average coffee chain espresso though, and the whole system is way less faff than a regular espresso machine, to the point where I’ll actually use it. And around 28p a pod is still way cheaper than a cafe charges.

AlexSimon

So what do you need to take espresso from a stove-top and turn it into a cappuccino?

poppa
    Free Member

You need some means of frothing the milk. You should use full-fat milk I believe (the fat makes the foam more stable). If you bring it to the boil and whisk it you should get lots of foam. There are probably more elegant ways too, however.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I have been through 2 Krups machines (circa £150 each) and they both lasted about 2 years before the pumps failed or they sprung leaks.

Think I’m going to get a Nespresso next as most restaurants I have been to recently use them and the coffee always tastes great.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For frothing milk you need one of these – my wife was given one recently and I was very surprised at how good they are. I sometimes use it to give extra body to the frothed milk made using my Gaggia Classic.

But DON’T boil the milk – that stops froth from forming properly.

poppa
    Free Member

If it wasn’t called an aerolatté mooo I would get one of those!

bruneep

Splash the cash and get a Jura, buy once and all that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If it wasn’t called an aerolatté mooo I would get one of those!

You can get plain ones too if you prefer a stainless steel look or whatever.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What Coffee Machine of £100 approx.’ is closed to new replies.