Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What Child Seat for a 13 month old human
  • crankboy
    Free Member

Crankbrat is now old enough for a rear mounting child seat. We would wish to swop it between a Revolution Pathfinder and an old orange P7 with a wishbone seat stay. Does any one have an views or recomendations?

iain1775
    Free Member

don’t get a rear mounted one. Get a Wee-ride that puts them up front, they can interact alot more then
    Best bike thing Ive ever bought, little one loves goingin hers

piemann
    Free Member

Another vote for the Wee-ride. Pie Jnr loves it. You do end up pedalling a bit John Wayne style, but it’s well worth it. (Would recommend flat pedals, not SPDs).

crankboy
    Free Member

Thanks for that the video on the weride website does make it look good . How pronounced is the wide knee riding position. What happens if you endo ? Hopefully I would not find out the hard way.

iain1775
    Free Member

why would you endo? Your not going to be doing any extreme riding with the little one on board
    and what would happen if you endo’ed with a rear seat?

Wide leg position isnt too bad, I just put flats on but I could manage fine still clipped in w SPD’s

LoCo
    Free Member

Anybody running a wee ride and a rear seat?

Have co pilot limo for no.1 and number 2 due in 6 weeks so starting to think about things like that 😀

moniex
    Free Member

I used to run one of these on the front:

And one of these on the back:

When my kids were little (2.5 years between them, front seat from 9 months). Also had panniers and one of these:

All on one of these:

Bobike mini and maxi are great seats and easy to switch between bikes, hard work on hills though, especially when the kids get bigger!

My husband used both seats on an old marin, so no need for a dutch bike.

…being Dutch this was obviously ridden in the rain using an umbrella!

Simone

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I use a WeeRide with my 8 month old (he is the size of a 12 month old though). I’ve found the same as the others, flat pedals make it easier but the amount relly depends on the bike you are riding, it is not so bad on my langster as my Stumpjumper HT.

I wouldn’t be able to have a rear seat as well as when I get on/off the bike I tend to need a bit more space behind when junior is in the WeeRide.

LoCo
    Free Member

Ok cool, it’s on a massive (58cm) cyclo cross kona so should be room if the weeride is up the tt at bit I reckon, will have a look at a weeride and a little measure I think.
    Cheers (and sorry for the highjack!) 😀

crankboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the views the endo fear represents my most common crash and my concern that if my body goes forward the first point of contact for me would be his head/neck. As you say probably not a real issue given the likely ridding involved .

restless
    Free Member

I had to have a rear mounted bike seat for mine as I couldn’t reach around to the handlebars with a front seat.

I have used rear mounted seats up to age 4yrs no problem. Wouldn’t be able to do that with the front ones, but i guess it all depends how big your kids are (mine were big) and how long your arms are (mine are short)

So best to try a few out .

transapp
    Free Member

I got a wee ride as I couldn’t mount anything else on my FS. Works a treat and mini T loves it. No worries about the endo style crash, there’s no way I’d go OTB on the canal path type ride I do with baby on board!

igm

Having used both mid and rear mount seats, I prefer the mid mount especially as the child gets bigger – better weight distribution.
    I first did Les Gets with a passenger when he was 3. Did it again when he was 4. LOCT seat both times, so a little more robust than a Weeride but also more minimalist.
    Riding without eldest on a mid mount seat was fine at 4 years. Regulars at Dalby also did Drumlanrig and SSEC10 social ride. Just ride within yourself.

Edit: 19 month old currently on a Weeride. Eldest careering around on an Islabike Beinn.

yunki
    Free Member

co-pilot limo here.. rear mounted

there’s no way in earth I could fit my two year old on a wee-ride..

the whole knees/reach thing would make it a trauma, especially off-road

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What Child Seat for a 13 month old human’ is closed to new replies.