Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What causes head tube ovalising?
  • buckster
    Free Member

Anyone?

tjagain

loose headset knocking?

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhiCFdWeQfA[/video]

scotroutes

Incorrect fitting
    Incorrectly fitting

PJay
    Free Member

It can be caused by a loose headset, but I’d have thought that it would have to be very loose (and noticeable during riding).

I don’t know whether forks that are taller than specified for the frame (and therefore the headtube) might overstress a headtube even with a correctly adjusted headset.

hora
    Free Member

Depends when it happened – how soon after purchase. I.e If it was dropped. Incorrect fitting? Have a word with yourself! It’d have to be really poor quality etc material.

The other thing- running longer forks for the frame. Used an angleset?

tjagain

I ovalised the headtube on the tandem. solved with a deep insertion headset fixed in place with loctite bearing fit. Been run for thousands of miles with no issues. I think it was a knocking headset that caused the issue.

hora
    Free Member

What causes a knocking headset?

scotroutes

Incorrect fitting and adjustment

tjagain

As scotroutes says – when a headset is loose ie bearings not adjusted properly the fork can move back and forward with a knock and its this impact that in my case I think caused the ovalising

trail_rat
    Free Member

heavy impact.

Chris king headsets prior to cane creek patent expiration.

buckster
    Free Member

If the bearings are set inside the head tube, how does it ‘knock’? Ive seen loose headsets rattle (not on my bikes though!) but I still cant see how it would ovalise the head tube as the headset cups would protect it Id have thought

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

what-causes-head-tube-ovalising

Removing it using a drift & not a rocket tool.
    Using a hammer to fit it & not a press.

tjagain

buckster – you get an impact from the fork moving backwards and forwards – the steel bearing cups simply transmit this impact to the softer alloy ( in my case) frame

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What causes head tube ovalising?’ is closed to new replies.