Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Brexit hits sales of houmous and taramasalata
  • hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Apparently it’s a double dip recession.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Boom tish 🙂

Economy forecast to grow faster than France, Germany, Spain etc

footflaps

Economy forecast to grow faster than France, Germany, Spain etc

Completely irrelevant fact of the day award goes to…

Brexit means it will grow slower than it would have if we’d stayed (and most likely we’ll have a recession for a quarter or two).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Irrelevant hardly. We are going to be materially better off in 5 and 10 years outside the EU than if we remained in. Osbourne predicted a recession comparable to 2008 with almost immediate effect. Thats why he was sacked. Total b0llx.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Completely irrelevant fact

It’s neither relevant nor a fact.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I opened this thread in the vain hope that it wasn’t a joke – two evil substances simultaneously on the decline – maybe something good was to come of Brexit. I knew it was too good to be true. 🙁

igm

Osbourne predicted a recession comparable to 2008 with almost immediate effect.

Which is what the confidence data this week suggests. Maybe that will become real, maybe not. We’ll see.

What is real is the 20% jump in hate crime since the referendum. Why? Well I doubt anyone could prove it, but I suspect it was the leave campaign that opened that particular can of worms.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Osbourne predicted a recession comparable to 2008 with almost immediate effect. Thats why he was sacked. Total b0llx.

Well I hope you are right, but I think it’s a bit early to call. You do know that a recession means 6 months of decline? We’ve not had 6 weeks yet post-vote, and the stats take a bit of time to come in. Are you confident of no recession at all?

igm

Jamba? confident?

Can’t imagine it.

Northwind

igm – Member

Osbourne predicted a recession comparable to 2008 with almost immediate effect.

But since essentially none of Osbourne’s forecasts came true, everyone ignored it.

Thing is though, just because some people were throwing out hysterical prophecies of armageddon, now we’re talking as if anything better than armageddon is a great success, because we’re doing better than the forecast.

I’m going to use this in future. “I’m going to attempt this thing. George Osbourne says it’ll give me rabies.” <does badly at thing> “Rabies test was clear though, great success!”

Nico
    Free Member

Houmous isn’t a dip. And taramasalata is a salad – the clue is in the name.

You should have said cream cheese and chives and guacamole. Though guacamole is a mole really. But you can buy it as a dip in those 4 dip selection things, so it’s probably o.k. Good joke though. I’ll use it tonight. Funniest thing I’ve read since the Daily Mail said George Michael had put on weight from too many careless Wispas.

loum
    Free Member

Thing is though, just because some people were throwing out hysterical prophecies of armageddon, now we’re talking as if anything better than armageddon is a great success, because we’re doing better than the forecast.

This .

And some.

The Remain petitioners banging on about how the world will end when we go through with it will have a lot to answer for in 4 years time.

It might get a bit crapper, but relative to the prophesies of doom and Armageddon, it’s gonna look like – and be sold by the meedja – as a massive shining success.

On the back of that handy bit of “Management of Expectations”, by the Remain petitioners, we’ll end up with another Tory government and Boris as next PM .

Thanks.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I bet you lot are fun at parties 🙄

😀

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

This thread went as sour as some taramasalata left out in the sun.

slowoldman

We are going to be materially better off in 5 and 10 years outside the EU than if we remained in.

Care to apply a degree of certainty to that?

igm

Jamba will pay us the difference if we’re not

zigzag69
    Free Member

We are going to be materially better off in 5 and 10 years outside the EU than if we remained in.

Care to apply a degree of certainty to that?
    My (side of a bus) calculations indicate we’ll certainly be better off by between 5 x £350m x 52 and 10 x £350m x 52.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I’m not sure if I derailed your thread as their is a slim chance you meant it to go in this direction 🙂 if not then sorry ! I couldn’t think of any clever condiment jokes so went for Plan A.

@igm – as my Sailing forum signature says. Often Wrong Sledom in Doubt …. that’s there though rather than here 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ugh. I bet you sail something cretinous with a keel…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just sits on the deck drinking gin and lobbing pistachio shells at the immigrant crew.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sledom

Wasn’t that destroyed in the bible?

igm

Come on lads go easy on Jamba. He doesn’t dislike immigrants, he loves them. In fact they are his main source of income.

He only campaigned to close the borders so that he and his yacht club could make money bringing in French, Dutch etc natives looking for a new life outside the euro zone.

The only thing that might spoil his plans is if the euro economy does better than pound land.

Disclaimer: the facts in this post are probably as accurate as a £350m a week saving 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

No one’s got a clue what’s going to happen, especially the Leave camp, who have, well disappeared of late.

‘The City’ is currently betting on a lip-service response to the referendum, with or without artical 50 ever being envoked – there have been some early casualties of Brexit before we’ve even acted on it, but we won’t know the true financial outcome till we know the political outcome in the months and years ahead.

One thing we can all look forward to, any positive news now will be treated as a result of Brexit by the leavers and any negative completely unrelated – and vice versa by the remainers – it’s a glorious time to be a politician – a ready made excuse for years to come.

hora
    Free Member

German/London stock market merger still going through in the face of Hollande, merde! Said he 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

Jamba has to sacrifice a chicken for every brexageddon story.

slowoldman

My (side of a bus) calculations indicate we’ll certainly be better off by between 5 x £350m x 52 and 10 x £350m x 52.

Side of a bus is where it should stay.

donncha

It’s neither relevant nor a fact.
    Just incorrect.
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/forecast/gdp-annual-growth-rate

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP BTW Humous is from North Africa/Middle East and Taramaslata is typically Greek. As a co-incidence I know which I prefer and it’s the non-EU one. Home made falafel two nights ago, bought breads and Tahini from local Lebanese though. Lurverly.

@slow – side of a bus – that’s excellent 🙂

@Rich surely I get to eat a Chicken (or better still some fois gras) for each Brexageddon story which has turned out to be to scaremongering.

So I’ll bite. Used to have a foiling Moth – a Bladerider, couldn’t foil it, beyond my ability. MLC (49) purchase I think. Knee’s are too knackered for dinghies these days. If you care (which I am sure you don’t) Melges 20 & 24, SB3, J80, J92, J105, J109 – all non cretinous aside from the J109 really, poor purchase decision that. This season Surprise on Lake’s Geneva and Garda, J/70 at same venues hopefully. Was supposed to race Open 650 Nationale in La Trinite a few weeks ago but got bumped off the crew list as owner wanted native French speakers only. Fabulous planning all carbon boat. Disappointed to miss the event.

@igm am a member of JOG (1 part time member of staff) and RORC (fully international). RORC just ran their Commodores Cup competition with the first ever Israeli team. Excellent. No Brexit impact at all there aside from it being a bit cheaper for the French and Irish teams to come over. 8)

On the Brexit did you see the IMF’s own report on itself today, far too politically influenced especially on Greek economic forecasts which lack credibility. Politically motivated – who knew 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@doncha – recessions are negative numbers, all those are positive for the UK out to 2020. I was was specifically referring to the IMF forecasts BTW

Cougar

I couldn’t think of any clever condiment jokes

I practice Safe Eating, always use a condiment.

The tomato finished last in the Great Food Race; it just couldn’t ketchup.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I couldn’t think of any clever condiment jokes

Not surprising. There must hardly be any decent ones about.

granny_ring

Made me laugh OP

Drac

I bet the OP wish they’d never bothered.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The op mustard thought all you lot would have a salsa humour, iz dipsappointed.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The op mustard thought all you lot would have a salsa humour, iz dipsappointed.

The mustard pun has already been taken 8)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

There’s no need to deliver your condemnation with such relish. I see youre quick to chutney dissent down bongo. Non rien de rien, non vinegarette rien.

Northwind

I’ll condemniment whoever I want!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Brexit hits sales of houmous and taramasalata’ is closed to new replies.