Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What caravan?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m liking Bailey at the moment but I still haven’t looked at many of the other makes.

wwaswas

We looked around and ended up buying a second Bailey Ranger.

If you use a ‘normal’ size and weight tow car they’re about the best balance of weight, features and price available.

molgrips
    Free Member

I really like the all metal construction of their newer vans. Not only do you get this but they are also just about the cheapest for the features you get AND the lightest. However I’ve heard lots of people have had trouble with Pegasus models with things like build quality and balance.

Not looked at Lunar or Elddis yet.

supertacky
    Free Member

Lunar Chateau – easily towed by small family car like a focus. Great layout.

molgrips
    Free Member

We want an area for the kids that is away from the front dinette and can be at least curtained off; and we would like a separate shower cubicle in the bathroom. And a MTPLM of under 1500kg.

supertacky
    Free Member

Lunar Chateau 400 / 470

The 400 only has a shower from 2005 onwards.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m looking at new vans mind.

Raindog
    Free Member

Elddis are a quality make, best thing is to visit your nearest caravan “superstore” and look at layouts till you find the model that suits. We never use the shower in our van, always use the one on our site, although if you are touring and staying on sites with no facilities that will affect your choice.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m sitting in my Bailey Ranger series 6 500/5 now. The layout is great for us as the back end partitions off. We have the 4 year old in the fold out bunk, and the 1 year old in a travel cot underneath. Because of this the loo and shower is in the middle of the van, making it feel narrow. It’s also quite unusable as a shower, but it’s the price we had to pay for a proper closeable bedroom for the boys.

Build quality is decent, and although the ranger is fairly basic, we find it just fine. If I were buying again I’d go Bailey. The warranty seems very good too.

molgrips
    Free Member

We intend to use the shower since a) it’s fantastic at SITS, b) site showers are often rubbish, c) site showers often have a queue and d) CLs often don’t have them 🙂

Thanks for the opinions. Will definitely check out Elddis as I like their chassis design which should be inherently stable.

drinkingwally

Ive been thinking about buying a caravan then I checked out this site with good advice about buying a caravan, it does make you think about the pit falls.

http://www.caravanbuyersguide.co.uk/

cheshirecat
    Free Member

We have a Bailey Pegasus, and can’t really fault it after a year with it. Build quality seems very good, and it tows very well (behind a pretty big car mind).

Seemed like a big step up in quality from the Swift we had before.

Our best move was to go to a caravan show (bit grim) and look at lots of different layouts in one go.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well good to hear good things about Bailey. The new ones have a layout we really like so that looks like it might be a good option. Just need to find some money now 🙂

What car do you have?

Raindog
    Free Member

Some friends of ours have a Bailey Pegasus with a fixed double bed, which they like very much. They tow it with a Freelander (newish diesel thing) but reckon their Mondeo Dci would have done it ok.

geoffj
    molgrips
    Free Member

Coo, that is very interesting. Says ‘never been used as a caravan’ though, I wonder how on earth it ended up like that?

I have been considering gutting my current old van since I found some damp. Tempting to rip the lot out and start again 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Swift are pretty good, weights similar to the Baileys. We used to have a Ranger for 5 years but when it came to changing it Bailey seemed to have gone lighter weight on interior fittings – so we looked around with the list of what we wanted – fixed bed, end washroom, room for child & dog, and setlled on a Swift Charisma 550 – it is a dealer special so comes with different fabrics inside and practical items like an additiuonal wet locker & BBQ gas point, heavy duty corner steadies, spare wheel, jack etc.
    We already had a decent towcar so noseweight etc & kerbweight issues were not a problem.

That unfinished caravan is wierd, I’d be tempted to check the CRIS details to make sure it wasn’t a write off/rebuild that had been abandoned.

molgrips
    Free Member

Swift are cheaper on the whole yes. They are another option. I still like the full metal Bailey construction though.

Just checked though, a couple of layouts I like are the same weight and price as Bailey, and without the metal construction.. can’t see a reason to go with them.

uplink
    Free Member

Molgrips on his hols 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1ACzfUXjo[/video]

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Mol – we tow our Pegasus (fixed bed with large-ish rear bathroom across the back by the way) with a Hyundai Santa Fe auto. 7 seat version so self levelling rear suspension, which is handy when loaded up with an awning and towing.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Freelander 2 auto here. Multipla before that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Never tire of that vid, uplink 🙂

Tow car is going to be a Passat TDI 140bhp, which is about on the limit for the vans we are looking at. I think I will get some pump up spring assisters though for sure, that should help.

Trekster

would it not be better to fit some new springs and dampers to restore the cars ride hieght and replace tired springs and dampers ❓ 💡

If you load the car/trailer/van properly and drive according to road conditions and speed limits there should be no need to “uprate” your cars suspension. You may also invalidate your car insurance by “modifying” the suspension. Are the spring assisters legal in the country/countries you intend to drive through?

My fleetwood comes in at around 1700kgs and I tow with a ford ranger pick up (140bhp chipped to 170). It’s ideal but I still know I’ve got it on the back – would probably be a chore at stock 140, although its supposed to be good for 3t

iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

some of the Pegasus have had problems getting the nose weight down
    so you may struggle to tow it with a passat.also because of the all metal construction some have suffered with dents to the front of the van.
    I also have a Sterling europa 550 and works well as a family lay out,
    I tow this with a bmw 3 series estate no problems.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you load the car/trailer/van properly and drive according to road conditions and speed limits there should be no need to “uprate” your cars suspension

I disagree. Otherwise why do some manufacturers offer self levelling suspension as an optional upgrade? That’s all I am doing here. Adding some to make it level. Every report online from people who’ve retrofitted spring assisters has said it improves towing no end.

Just because it comes from the factory a certain way doesn’t mean it’s perfect. The car is 5 years old and rides perfectly every other way. The springs are not knackered, nor are the shocks.

I’m a little concerned about the noseweight of the Pegasus. I might not be able to get the front chest of drawers for it, even though I do quite want it.

That Sterling is about the same weight as the Pegasus I fancy, but I don’t want a fixed bed. We have small kids and want to put them to bed before us 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

5 yrs old, 70 000 miles you said but the springs and dampers have not degraded at all? Sounds very unlikely to me

iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

A sterling europa 545 is another choice to consider.
    Fair comment about the chest , you could always carry some of the heavier items like gas ect
    in the back of the car.

molgrips
    Free Member

They’ve probably degraded a bit but I doubt it’s going to make a difference.

Why is it so unreasonable to think one would need a higher spring rate for towing though TJ? A non-adjustable spring is bound to be a compromise isn’t it?

molgrips
    Free Member

I do like the Europas cos of the larger bunks – the Pegasus Ancona has smaller bunks BUT it has separate bunks, a side dinette AND a big bathroom with a standalone shower cubicle. Hard to beat that I think.

iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Ancona I think you could be on to a winner there. They seemed to have balanced all the compromises you have to make with a caravan.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

They’ve probably degraded a bit but I doubt it’s going to make a difference.

Why is it so unreasonable to think one would need a higher spring rate for towing though TJ? A non-adjustable spring is bound to be a compromise isn’t it?

Basic set up. The first thing you do before any alterations is to ensure that what yo have is working properly. Then yo have a baseline to work from.

molgrips
    Free Member

iamhim – yes, we were looking at vans last year and were undecided, but that layout seems great. Only small issue is that the bunks are kiddie only, so will need a new van in 10 years 🙂

TJ – how do I definitively test that my current springs and shocks are working correctly then?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Agree that it’s been fairly tough to get the noseweight to the right level with the Pegasus. Lightweight gas bottles, no chest of drawers (don’t miss them at all) and careful packing enable us to just get to the limit of the car. 2010 version by the way.

molgrips
    Free Member

I do wonder if the 2011 are different. It’s almost as if they got a lot of criticisms on the first lot and made some changes quickly. Seems odd to replace a range so soon otherwise.

Only thing I worry about without a chest of drawers is where to put my tea 🙂 Is there a shelf by the window?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Nice wide shelf by the front window, actually wide enough for the flat screen tv/dvd combo that came with the caravan. There’s a mains socket there as well to run it. Handy place to put stuff on to charge.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh right, that certainly could save some weight and money 🙂 Ta

mogrim

Swift are cheaper on the whole yes. They are another option. I still like the full metal Bailey construction though.

No idea about caravans, except I overtook a fair amount of them today obviously heading up from the Algarve to Santander to catch the ferry, but curiosity forces me to ask: what’s the advantage of “full metal” construction?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well as I understand it, traditionally caravans are made with an aluminium skin then wooden slats with plywood on the inside, all fixed to a plywood floor and sealed around the edges. The Baileys are made from prefabricated aluminium pieces that are joined with extruded alu bits on the corners. There’s no wood to go mouldy, and it’s all very rigid to preserve the integrity. They come with a 10 year water guarantee which is unique, and they contain no wood at all in the shell construction.

http://www.baileyalu-tech.co.uk/index2.php if you are really curious 🙂

takisawa2

Molgrips, our Challenger sounds like it would fit the bill… 🙂

Car & Caravan-1 by pten2106, on Flickr

We specifically wanted the double dinette layout, as the rear end effectively becomes a separate bedroom for our two boys. Its great to pull the partition across at night, plus they can sit in there watching tv etc. The separate shower cubicle is spot on. Swift’s Challenger & Conquerer are heavy caravans though, ours is 1500kg MTPLM. We looked at Bailey but the lighter weight is evident in the general feel of all the fittings etc. Plus we were further put off by finding damp & peeling wall covering in a 2yr old model.

As regards towing, we were using a 130hp TDCi Mondeo which did a great job but your sitting at about 95% match & the car does feel it. I was more than happy towing with it but it worried the Wife. The Galaxy above makes a superb tow-car & ironically gives better mpg while towing. (about 32mpg towing). Its rock steady when towing.

Not sure on the levelling suspension idea, modern cars are pretty well sorted & if you load properly you’ll have no problems. From my couple of years towing I’d say pay attention to nose-weight & tyre pressures. This is where the difference is felt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What caravan?’ is closed to new replies.